THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

05-03-2021, 07:05 PM   #2773
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Drink in that driveway and I'm detaining. Drinking in public is a violation of law. The next one I catch is for you Littlebear.
Not for me, Clan. Here in the PRofB folks can drink on their stoops, in bags or unmarked containers.
Just be nice & don't disturb.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:05 PM   #2774
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Drink in that driveway and I'm detaining. Drinking in public is a violation of law. The next one I catch is for you Littlebear.
Meh, I usually grab one or two beers and head out for a walk along the road. It's public but a dead end so not a lot of traffic. How much trouble would I be in Murf993 ?
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      05-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #2775
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Even with your excellent example he will still fail to see the light......like a leftist vampire.
You love the dehumanizing language, eh?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:08 PM   #2776
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
Not for me, Clan. Here in the PRofB folks can drink on their stoops, in bags or unmarked containers.
Just be nice & don't disturb.
Not so fast....

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #2777
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Even with your excellent example he will still fail to see the light......like a leftist vampire.
You love the dehumanizing language, eh?
Vampire, Q-tee....what's the difference?
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      05-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #2778
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
There's no expectation of privacy outside of your front door. Curtilage laws apply in some cases, but cops typically use the "mailman rule/principle." If the mailman can access it, it's reasonable to believe - and the courts affirm - that you, as the homeowner, have no expectation of privacy in that/those areas.
An expectation of privacy is not the same idea as private property. There are many laws that apply "in public" that do not apply to "private property." You've mentioned at least one example when discussing driving a car on private property; the motor vehicle code does not apply, even if I'm doing it in my front yard for all the world to see.

I can carry a concealed gun on my body on private property and I may not be able to do that on public property.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #2779
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No dillweed! Name alone doesn't make you guilty. If a person's name and DOB match, then we're onto something. I will then pull them up in Cal-Photo to verify. If they've never been issued a California ID/DL, then they're going to the house to get printed.
You recite the book very well... when it suits you. Otherwise you get awful close to 'stop & frisk', that discredited tactic.
I asked them to run my age & address, but you know, they could do that in the precinct....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #2780
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
What does the NRA say about fixing that mess up?
They haven't got much to say up here.
      05-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #2781
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Who ate babies?

Wait: "dillweed"?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:16 PM   #2782
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No dillweed! Name alone doesn't make you guilty. If a person's name and DOB match, then we're onto something. I will then pull them up in Cal-Photo to verify. If they've never been issued a California ID/DL, then they're going to the house to get printed.
You recite the book very well... when it suits you. Otherwise you get awful close to 'stop & frisk', that discredited tactic.
I know the book very well. It's my craft! It always suits me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Quote:
There's no expectation of privacy outside of your front door. Curtilage laws apply in some cases, but cops typically use the "mailman rule/principle." If the mailman can access it, it's reasonable to believe - and the courts affirm - that you, as the homeowner, have no expectation of privacy in that/those areas.
An expectation of privacy is not the same idea as private property. There are many laws that apply "in public" that do not apply to "private property." You've mentioned at least one example when discussing driving a car on private property; the motor vehicle code does not apply, even if I'm doing it in my front yard for all the world to see.

I can carry a concealed gun on my body on private property and I may not be able to do that on public property.
There's nuance for sure. It all depends on articulation, the circumstances and other legal standing.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #2783
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Who ate babies?
Chrissy Teagen!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:19 PM   #2784
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Well, just to shake things up a little. You can buy liquor, beer, or wine in the gas station (I actually used to buy my liquor at one because they had the best prices in the city) or grocery store. You can buy liquor, beer, or wine 24/7 365. You can drive through the daiquiri shop and buy drinks as long as you don't put the straw in. You can leave restaurants and bars with geaux cups. We may be screwed up in a lot of other ways but in NOLA you will never go thirsty
Appreciate 3
Buug95917384.00
Sedan_Clan25059.50
Littlebear3509.50
      05-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #2785
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not so fast....
I don't see a date on that, and our DA has made exceptions for human behavior.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #2786
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Well, just to shake things up a little. You can buy liquor, beer, or wine in the gas station (I actually used to buy my liquor at one because they had the best prices in the city) or grocery store. You can buy liquor, beer, or wine 24/7 365. You can drive through the daiquiri shop and buy drinks as long as you don't put the straw in. You can leave restaurants and bars with geaux cups. We may be screwed up in a lot of other ways but in NOLA you will never go thirsty
That's some loose law for sure. Lol!
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3132.50
      05-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #2787
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not so fast....
I don't see a date on that, and our DA has made exceptions for human behavior.
The DA's exception doesn't change the law. Our L.A. County D.A. makes a lot of exceptions for criminal behavior or violations of law too, but just because he won't prosecute doesn't render the action lawful.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #2788
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I wasn’t sure where to put this but your post is a perfect segue. Did anyone watch 102 minutes that changed America? It was on the history channel yesterday. It detailed Sept 11 from when the first plane hit. They interviewed people that got out of the towers. With blow by blow accounts. Then there was video footage of people on the street as it was unfolding including first responders Chilling! My intention is not to make this political. So many gave their lives running in when everyone was running out. I can’t believe it will be 20 years soon. How far we have come from LEO being heroes. It’s sad. We need heroes.
Thanks Lucy.

My wife was 2 blocks away, driven into her office by the dust. She is on the health list.
I was on a D train on the Manhattan Bridge when the second plane hit. I saw the fuel burn down the side of the building. I had to walk from World Wide Plaza (48th&8th) to Brklyn, wondering where the next plane would crash.
There were people I knew in the buildings. People who did their best to make our system work.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #2789
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The DA's exception doesn't change the law. Our L.A. County D.A. makes a lot of exceptions for criminal behavior or violations of law too, but just because he won't prosecute doesn't render the action lawful.
But who then cares?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #2790
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
But who then cares?
The point is you were wrong. Furthermore, an officer in New York could still effectively detain (...and uncover other issues concerning that person). Like I stated earlier, we are looking for more.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #2791
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I wasn’t sure where to put this but your post is a perfect segue. Did anyone watch 102 minutes that changed America? It was on the history channel yesterday. It detailed Sept 11 from when the first plane hit. They interviewed people that got out of the towers. With blow by blow accounts. Then there was video footage of people on the street as it was unfolding including first responders Chilling! My intention is not to make this political. So many gave their lives running in when everyone was running out. I can’t believe it will be 20 years soon. How far we have come from LEO being heroes. It’s sad. We need heroes.
Thanks Lucy.

My wife was 2 blocks away, driven into her office by the dust. She is on the health list.
I was on a D train on the Manhattan Bridge when the second plane hit. I saw the fuel burn down the side of the building. I had to walk from World Wide Plaza (48th&8th) to Brklyn, wondering where the next plane would crash.
There were people I knew in the buildings. People who did their best to make our system work.
Are you implying she's dumb with the "Lucy" reference?!? And you wonder why we talk to you the way we do.....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #2792
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
We can only purchase alcohol in gov't stores and a few select gov't licensed convenience stores way out in the boonies and it has to be transported beyond the reach of the driver meaning in the trunk, hatch or in the box of a pick-up truck. We can't take any booze out of a restaurant or drink while walking down a sidewalk. It's so nice to travel somewhere where you can have a sociable drink while strolling down the street and not feel like a criminal.
      05-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #2793
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
There's nuance for sure. It all depends on articulation, the circumstances and other legal standing.
And that is the problem I have with poorly written laws and over-eager cops. Those cops aren't enforcing a law to Protect and Serve. They are enforcing a law, which may or may not apply depending on the nuance, articulation, circumstances and other legal standings, to make a point or to use that as an excuse to fish/search for more information/evidence. Or because the cop had his feelings hurt from "the person is being an ass."

There should not be a gray area in the law. And cops shouldn't be required to interpret the law based on nuance to figure out if a law has been broken. If there is a gray area, the law should default to the citizen's side, not the cop's side. Sort of a "tie goes to the runner" deal.
Appreciate 3
Littlebear3509.50
M5Rick60013.50
      05-03-2021, 07:41 PM   #2794
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Quote:
And that is the problem I have with poorly written laws and over-eager cops. Those cops aren't enforcing a law to Protect and Serve. They are enforcing a law, which may or may not apply depending on the nuance, articulation, circumstances and other legal standings, to make a point or to use that as an excuse to fish/search for more information/evidence. Or because the cop had his feelings hurt from "the person is being an ass."

There should not be a gray area in the law. And cops shouldn't be required to interpret the law based on nuance to figure out if a law has been broken. If there is a gray area, the law should default to the citizen's side, not the cop's side. Sort of a "tie goes to the runner" deal.
There's nuance is the large majority of the written laws. Even the courts interpret written laws differently. The effectiveness almost always circles back to articulation. Yes, we use petty stuff to fish. It's that petty stuff that leads to the big busts. It's that burnt out tail light that leads to the kidnapping arrest. It's the baby shoe hanging from the rear view mirror that leads to the illegal gun possession charge. It's expired registration that leads to the arrest of a wanted felon. Policing is as much about strategy as it is about pure luck. In most cases the law does defer to the citizen. I might make 30 traffic stops and only cite for a few of them while 90% of them receive a warning and advisement.

P.S. We could enforce everything to the letter, but that would mean everybody would receive citations every day they decide to drive a motor vehicle. It wouldn't be fun for you or for me. I observe a violation probably every 30 seconds.
Appreciate 0