THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Xenon upgrade and duplicate key

04-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #1
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Xenon upgrade and duplicate key

I’m looking at a 2017 230i that doesn’t have the xenon headlights and only has one key. Wonder if adding the xenons can be done without breaking the bank and also how much a spare key will run me and if I can clear out the missing key myself or if that’s a dealer thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 07:57 PM   #2
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230XI

Garage List
I typically hear dealers charging 500 for a new key, can be found for less 3rd party

I looked into the light replacement myself, it is not an easy job and i found costs anywhere from 3000$ to 5000$ there is other options out there for just halo lights you can add in or aftermarket lights that might not be OEM xenon good but would be much better than the base reflectors.

I just added in some LED replacement bulbs after looking into all that
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Try www.bmwminipartsstore.com for a key. It's a dealer in Cincinnati that has about the best prices on fobs/keys. As for the headlights, I'd install LED bulbs. It will require some coding of the lighting control module. Go to bimmerforums and join, It's free. Then PM BaliDawg. He's the software guru.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedOne View Post
I’m looking at a 2017 230i that doesn’t have the xenon headlights and only has one key. Wonder if adding the xenons can be done without breaking the bank and also how much a spare key will run me and if I can clear out the missing key myself or if that’s a dealer thing.
If you are looking at the car with a bmw dealer, you can negotiate with them and ask them to get you a spare key.

I did with mine and they say they are going to order one for me for free.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:28 PM   #5
Brobeav
Rep
Drives: M240ix vert, Estoril

I’m not having a great first experience with BMW Mini Parts Store right now. Ordered a ‘coded to your vehicle’ replacement key, but they only sent the transponder piece. It’s essentially half a key fob with no blade or top half with key ring loop. Even a blank blade would be OK with me since I kinda need a way to attach the transponder to a key ring, right? Transponder doesn’t work for beans out of the package, but I figure it needs some syncing so I emailed them for advice and no reply. Funny since they replied right off the bat when I was enquiring about the purchase. I’m sure there is a multi-Benjamins visit to the dealership in my future so my attempt to save money way probably for naught.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 09:14 AM   #6
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
They're north of Albany in upstate NY:

BMW Mini Parts Store
1111 TROY SCHENECTADY RD
LATHAM, NY 12110
518-586-5718
Wow! You're correct. I was told that this dealer was in Cincinnati.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 03:55 PM   #7
Brobeav
Rep
Drives: M240ix vert, Estoril

Have some pleasant updates and tips to report on my fob replacement for my 2018 M240. BMW Mini Parts Store did reply and they gave me guidance on how to sync the replacement fob. It was slightly different than any method I found online and this time it worked. Better yet, I had come to expect (based on other threads and internet sources) that the car can only accommodate two comfort access transponders and that I would need to visit a dealer to have the lost fob voided from memory and to sync up the new fob if I wanted full comfort access. Without doing this, the fob would only lock/unlock using button presses and would start the car (e.g. the fob would grant old-school remote access but not comfort access). Turns out my new fob does indeed support comfort access with no trip to the dealer needed. Big relief.

For those interested, here is the syncing procedure: Start by following the directions at this site:

They added: “It doesn't show in the video but sometimes it pops up with a warning like your using the wrong key or no key is present when first trying to initialize it, if this happens try the process again, I also believe it helps to have your foot on the brake so the vehicle tries to start with the new key.”

Based on this pleasant turn of events, I’d recommend BMW Mini Parts Store for a replacement fob at this point. Hope this helps those trying to replace a lost fob.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 04:09 PM   #8
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Wow! You're correct. I was told that this dealer was in Cincinnati.
I was just looking into this further. The BMW Store, a conventional BMW dealer in Cincinnati, has an online parts store with a similar name: https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/.

They're about ten minutes away from me. I may use them if they're competitive on pricing plus 7.8% sales tax – and without any shipping cost.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 01:40 PM   #9
Kemps2Fast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i 18 - M240ix 20 - M3C 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedOne View Post
What is the vin number?
Appreciate 0