THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Strangelove Fix for M2

03-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #1
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Strangelove Fix for M2

I'm moving from a 2016 M235i to a 2021 M2.

I'm wondering whether I can still use the same recommended basic Strangelove changes ( https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1236238 ) for the M2. These are:

1. Eton B100W for the doors
2. JL Audio C2-400X for the rear deck
3. Technic Active Sound Removal Harness

plus Dynamat and door seals.

The point of the Strangelove fix was to use relatively cheap and easy-to-install changes to improve the sound, so suggestions for similar substitutions would also be appreciated.

The Strangelove fix produced reasonably good audiophile results: distortion-free, clean and balanced sound. I'm not so much interested in window-shaking bass and/or ear-splitting decibel readings.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Is the M2 and F22? I'd go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the your current car's VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to the audio section. Click on the part numbers for the speakers (they are links). It'll show you which cars use the same part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
TropikThunder
Private
Rep
Drives: current: 330i next: x3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
I'm wondering whether I can still use the same recommended basic Strangelove changes ( https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1236238 ) for the M2. These are:

1. Eton B100W for the doors
2. JL Audio C2-400X for the rear deck
3. Technic Active Sound Removal Harness

plus Dynamat and door seals.

The point of the Strangelove fix was to use relatively cheap and easy-to-install changes to improve the sound, so suggestions for similar substitutions would also be appreciated.
Eton says the F22 M235i and the F87 M2 use the same speakers for the front doors (B100W), center console (B100XCN), and rear shelf (B100N). The main distinction between the W and N is the mounting depth since they are all the same diameter, so at least Eton says the F87's have the same mounting depth.

I can't imagine the JL Audio's would fit in the F22 but then not fit in the F87 given the both accept the B100N, so you should be good there too.

The ASD harness should also still fit since the F87 (I believe) doesn't have the RAM unit like the newer iDrive 7 cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:04 PM   #4
JustAWhisper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 M3, 2018 M2

Can't comment on the fitment issue, but I would be shocked if your current setup doesn't fit in the M2. But in regards to whether there are better options to consider now, there are probably some things to think about. I'm currently researching audio upgrades for my M2, so I'm pretty familiar with the market.

As far as I can tell, Eton's are still one of the best bang-for-buck options for front speaker replacements, but Eton now offers quality center and rear speaker options as well, so you can do Eton's all around and get better results than with the JL-Audios (which have also become too expensive if you're purchasing today). The Strangelove thread suggests unplugging the center channel, but replacing with a non-garbage speaker and updating to a newer iStep (your M2 will have a newer iStep) makes the center channel worth keeping.

One thing I'm keeping an eye on is Audiotec-Fischer now lists MATCH UP branded speakers on their website that are compatible with the 2-series/M2, and they are just starting to appear on European vendor websites. I'm trying to hold off on my speaker purchase to see if they arrive at a US vendor soon, because I'm guessing they will provide better-than-Eton audio quality while hopefully being cheaper than Bavsound.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #5
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, JustAWhisper. This is tremendously helpful. Would you mind keeping us informed as you learn more? Thanks also to Marco Zandrini and TropikThunder.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #6
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAWhisper View Post
Can't comment on the fitment issue, but I would be shocked if your current setup doesn't fit in the M2. But in regards to whether there are better options to consider now, there are probably some things to think about. I'm currently researching audio upgrades for my M2, so I'm pretty familiar with the market.

As far as I can tell, Eton's are still one of the best bang-for-buck options for front speaker replacements, but Eton now offers quality center and rear speaker options as well, so you can do Eton's all around and get better results than with the JL-Audios (which have also become too expensive if you're purchasing today). The Strangelove thread suggests unplugging the center channel, but replacing with a non-garbage speaker and updating to a newer iStep (your M2 will have a newer iStep) makes the center channel worth keeping.

One thing I'm keeping an eye on is Audiotec-Fischer now lists MATCH UP branded speakers on their website that are compatible with the 2-series/M2, and they are just starting to appear on European vendor websites. I'm trying to hold off on my speaker purchase to see if they arrive at a US vendor soon, because I'm guessing they will provide better-than-Eton audio quality while hopefully being cheaper than Bavsound.
agreed on this. I was one of the people specifically posting about NOT unplugging the center channel. I documented adding the eton center for that reason.

for anyone curious, from what I remember, the center channel by eton is just a solo rear speaker...thats what the extra letter designates. The pricing per speaker was more expensive to buy it solo. You could essentially buy a second set of rears, and sell one of them to another member, and you both come out ahead.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #7
JustAWhisper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 M3, 2018 M2

Update for selmeralto since he asked.

I discovered Audiotec-Fischer is distributing those new speakers to the USA, but they are doing it exclusively through MSC America. When I contacted them about the speakers, they said that they have them or are getting them soon, but I have to purchase through a local vendor. Unfortunately my local vendor here in Vegas sucks and just refuses to answer my questions, likely because they're only interested in selling to someone who will pay them to install.

Eton now has an official distributor in the US, SoundsGoodStereo, who is marking up the price on everything by $100. Madison Sound still carries them, but they don't have all of the right models when I looked last. They at least have the fronts, though.

Crutchfield still sells Focal, but that's obviously $$$$.

Did anyone ever do a legit comparo between Bavsound and an Eton type setup? I found a thread who managed to needle their customer service for some stats on their speakers. They were a bit underwhelming and further solidified my opinion that vendors that won't publish stats only have things to hide, but they also have lots of satisfied customers so I'm sure they're not that bad, I just hate overpaying for stuff. But the distribution for these European brands is so screwed up that I guess they can't be faulted for charging what they want.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #8
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAWhisper View Post
Update for selmeralto since he asked.

I discovered Audiotec-Fischer is distributing those new speakers to the USA, but they are doing it exclusively through MSC America. When I contacted them about the speakers, they said that they have them or are getting them soon, but I have to purchase through a local vendor. Unfortunately my local vendor here in Vegas sucks and just refuses to answer my questions, likely because they're only interested in selling to someone who will pay them to install.

Eton now has an official distributor in the US, SoundsGoodStereo, who is marking up the price on everything by $100. Madison Sound still carries them, but they don't have all of the right models when I looked last. They at least have the fronts, though.

Crutchfield still sells Focal, but that's obviously $$$$.

Did anyone ever do a legit comparo between Bavsound and an Eton type setup? I found a thread who managed to needle their customer service for some stats on their speakers. They were a bit underwhelming and further solidified my opinion that vendors that won't publish stats only have things to hide, but they also have lots of satisfied customers so I'm sure they're not that bad, I just hate overpaying for stuff. But the distribution for these European brands is so screwed up that I guess they can't be faulted for charging what they want.
Thanks, JustAWhisper. Very helpful.
Appreciate 0