THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications deAuto LED Rear Turn Signal, Reverse, Brake Lights

05-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #89
magicthechemist
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet View Post
I've tested and you can use white LEDs for red turn signals. The casing will change the color.

Rear turn signal is P21W AKA 1156 is the universal term

Will amber lights still look amber through the red casting ? I need it for US->EU conversion.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #90
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Garage List
Yes, it's still Amber, though the red does skew it a bit so it's a bit less amber if that makes sense.

I just posted a video showing my LED retrofit on my M235i; this includes amber front turns from Bimmian with the rear being all DeAutoKey (turns [amber], brake/tail [red], reverse [white]). ryansauce, this is for you too. (Apologies in advance, the video is a bit crappy...)

Video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicthechemist View Post
Will amber lights still look amber through the red casting ? I need it for US->EU conversion.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #91
magicthechemist
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyeager View Post
Yes, it's still Amber, though the red does skew it a bit so it's a bit less amber if that makes sense.
Thanks! That should solve my problem! Does the install involve taking the whole light out ? How much work does it require ?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #92
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's actually super easy to do both the front and rear. The rear requires the following:

* Removing two bolts (per assembly - left/right)
* Remove the assembly itself -- this is pretty easy but requires a bit of force.
* Removing the electrical wire (just a push/clip wire)
* Removing the plastic backcover via latch clips
* Removing old bulbs / installing new ones

Replacing the front turns is super easy*, you just take off the plastic panel in the wheel well, reach in, unscrew the bulb-housing, replace the bulb and put the housing / cover back in.

* the catch is, the larger your hands are, difficultly of getting to the housing increases exponentially!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicthechemist View Post
Thanks! That should solve my problem! Does the install involve taking the whole light out ? How much work does it require ?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #93
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
why are your lights flickering? Is this a video issue or a coding issue?

I was in the middle of upgrading my brake lights today and I just realized that the brake lights require 3 bulbs per side...what was I thinking...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #94
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post

I was in the middle of upgrading my brake lights today and I just realized that the brake lights require 3 bulbs per side...what was I thinking...
It only flickers on startup. the flicker constantly in his video is due to his fps (frame per second) on the camera. Nothing to do with the lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #95
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I should have clarified this, that's not flickering you're seeing, it's a side-effect of recording light via a camera with a high-shutter speed. Essentially, the lights that appear to be flickering are refreshing at a rate of X. The camera is recording at a rate faster than X so it does some trickery on the eyes.

You do not see that flicking in real life. Also, I've coded out all bulb checks on my car so there is 0 flicker, ever on my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 03:04 AM   #96
T4455
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

I'm waiting for my deAutoLED front turns in the mail still.. ;( USPS re-routed them? !!!

nyeager - did you end up getting any LEDs from them?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #97
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yep, I got two sets actually: one set of OSRAMs and one set of SMG-based LEDs. Will try installing both today and then posting some comparison videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4455 View Post
I'm waiting for my deAutoLED front turns in the mail still.. ;( USPS re-routed them? !!!

nyeager - did you end up getting any LEDs from them?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #98
T4455
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I got two sets actually: one set of OSRAMs and one set of SMG-based LEDs. Will try installing both today and then posting some comparison videos.
maaaan, I cannot wait, you got it quick, USPS is playing games with my package.

I did not get that, I got SMG and CREE set up, no OSRAM.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #99
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Haha, I live only one state away from them, that's why it's so fast when I order from them. USPS sucks though... I always have problems with them too.

SMG is definitely my favorite bulb and is the brightest. The OSRAMs I got were dimmer than the Spectrums I got from Bimmian. I think you'll be very happy with the SMGs

I'm going to start a new thread reviewing all the bulbs with some videos shortly.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #100
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyeager
Haha, I live only one state away from them, that's why it's so fast when I order from them. USPS sucks though... I always have problems with them too.

SMG is definitely my favorite bulb and is the brightest. The OSRAMs I got were dimmer than the Spectrums I got from Bimmian. I think you'll be very happy with the SMGs

I'm going to start a new thread reviewing all the bulbs with some videos shortly.

Quote:

I want you to do all the homework and let me know what to buy

I'm just interested in the turn signals for now
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 09:52 PM   #101
T4455
Private
Rep

Quote:

For some reason the tracking just didn't upgrade, all that crying I did and my package arrived to me today, the CREE LED was ok, but the SMG was INSANE!!!!

The SMG was so bright that I'm not surprised the SMG was brighter vs the Bimmian, if you told me Bimmian was brighter than the SMG I would have not believed you and then I would have purchased the Bimmian LED, that SMG has to be the brightest bulb I ever seen in a housing. And it was less expensive vs the bimmian model. Sorry, I'm just a little excited, I feel like I can see the reflection of my front turn a mile away.

I like the SMG design, it has a bunch of bright orange LEDs on them and it looks pretty futuristic. The CREE looked more like the bimmian LED which is sleek in its own right but I like the SMG and seeing all the LEDs, it reminds me of one of those skeleton watches where you see the gears, with this LED you really get to see what is making all that light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post

I want you to do all the homework and let me know what to buy

I'm just interested in the turn signals for now
I contacted them today to let them know my package arrived and how impressed I was with the sMG Model they sent, they told me they have it listed already:
http://deautokey.com/product/bmw-f2x...e-turn-signals

I didn't get any errors or hyper-flashing and it looked amazing.

Another surprising and great product from the deAutoLED Crew, I have been looking for a similar design and seeing if there is anything else out there like theirs and so far I have came up empty, I'm impressed.

Last edited by T4455; 05-22-2015 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2015, 11:20 PM   #102
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
For some reason the tracking just didn't upgrade, all that crying I did and my package arrived to me today, the CREE LED was ok, but the SMG was INSANE!!!!

The SMG was so bright that I'm not surprised the SMG was brighter vs the Bimmian, if you told me Bimmian was brighter than the SMG I would have not believed you and then I would have purchased the Bimmian LED, that SMG has to be the brightest bulb I ever seen in a housing. And it was less expensive vs the bimmian model. Sorry, I'm just a little excited, I feel like I can see the reflection of my front turn a mile away.

I like the SMG design, it has a bunch of bright orange LEDs on them and it looks pretty futuristic. The CREE looked more like the bimmian LED which is sleek in its own right but I like the SMG and seeing all the LEDs, it reminds me of one of those skeleton watches where you see the gears, with this LED you really get to see what is making all that light.

I contacted them today to let them know my package arrived and how impressed I was with the sMG Model they sent, they told me they have it listed already:

I didn't get any errors or hyper-flashing and it looked amazing.

Another surprising and great product from the deAutoLED Crew, I have been looking for a similar design and seeing if there is anything else out there like theirs and so far I have came up empty, I'm impressed.
I see the SMG listed only for the front... are the rear the same ?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 11:25 PM   #103
T4455
Private
Rep

Quote:
I see the SMG listed only for the front... are the rear the same ?
I have the OSRAM for the rear, the SMG only works for the front and is bau15s, I asked them the same thing, but they said it was the voltage, as from what they told me nyeager tested the bau15s OSRAM and it wasn't as bright as the SMG, and I tested the CREE (not as bright).

I was going to ask them for the SMG rear but I had the OSRAM for rear turns and it was just as bright, I guess the car gives out different voltage and each LED has a different set up to be the brightest in that area of the car as they explained it.

I could not see any difference from my OSRAM rear turns and SMG front turns.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 11:33 PM   #104
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have the OSRAM for the rear, the SMG only works for the front and is bau15s, I asked them the same thing, but they said it was the voltage, as from what they told me nyeager tested the bau15s OSRAM and it wasn't as bright as the SMG, and I tested the CREE (not as bright).

I was going to ask them for the SMG rear but I had the OSRAM for rear turns and it was just as bright, I guess the car gives out different voltage and each LED has a different set up to be the brightest in that area of the car as they explained it.

I could not see any difference from my OSRAM rear turns and SMG front turns.
I see so SMG front OSRAM rear...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #105
T4455
Private
Rep

Quote:
I see so SMG front OSRAM rear...
From what I can tell, yes that is how they did it, I have rear OSRAM / and front SMG that I just received today, both are just as bright. And look good.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #106
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I still plan to post a new thread of my experiences but my weekend filled up Anyway, I've posted a video I made comparing the front turn signal LEDs I've tested.

The last part of the video shows the headlights on with the side amber (turns) also illuminated. The flicker / flashing you see is due to the video only, it doesn't look like that IRL!

Don't criticize my video editing skillz please!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #107
T4455
Private
Rep

I showed that to deAutoLED, I was about to make a video but no point now, those are a lot brighter than the bimmian, that is actually a lot more than I expected.

Very happy with the front turns, I cannot wait to show them off.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:50 AM   #108
Rexmachine
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 F10, M3 Com, M235 cabrio

QUOTE]thanks for the excellent video and information.
I really like the front turn lights

the link you provided for the deautokey SMG

Does it include the front SMG turn lights? or I need to select it ? it seems to include all the lights?

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #109
Rexmachine
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 F10, M3 Com, M235 cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmachine View Post
QUOTE]thanks for the excellent video and information.
I really like the front turn lights

the link you provided for the deautokey SMG

Does it include the front SMG turn lights? or I need to select it ? it seems to include all the lights?

Thanks

I wanted to order this on their web but deautokey doesn't ship to Singapore lolz
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #110
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmachine View Post
I wanted to order this on their web but deautokey doesn't ship to Singapore lolz
did you try emailing them? Maybe it's just because they wouldn't know how much to charge shipping.
Appreciate 0