THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Oil Changes

02-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #45
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I buy Redline products from Redline. That way I know I’m getting fresh products.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #46
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
No true hard data on oils, but I avoid W'mart for anything that requires true quality. They specifically work with suppliers to provide cheaper alternatives, making adjustments at the factory. For example, In the past, this meant tires that never got the final inspection (allow the end users to do that, and offer a free return policy - saves them about 10% in profits). Would not want that for my oil, as there is too much you can mess with in terms of additives that I'd never know to even ask about. And it isn't that expensive if you order kits ahead from the online vendors.
I just did all this for the first time on my 3 series. Not new to working on my cars, just waited for the factory service to end.

I bought the low angle ramps and used those with no problem. Just to add another layer of protection I threw a floor jack on each side just incase a ramp failed (factory jack points), and also had wheel chocks on the back tires.

I have enjoyed top side changes with fluid extractors on German cars for a long time, but the no dip stick from BMW has ended this. Still a very easy car to change and pretty quick.

The above statement regarding Walmart is a bit ludicrous in all honesty. Castrol is Castrol, and coke is coke. I would not buy a walmart brand of oil, but I do not think that is even a thing...

As others said, buy the Mann filter online. Got one for 10 bucks on amazon prime and it came with the o-rings and new drain pan plug. $25 bucks for 6 qts of good oil from WM and I was under $40 bucks for the full change about 20 mins.

I am not into the 0w-20 BMW is using now, so I went a bit thicker to 0w-40 for year-round use here in so-cal! I prefer the enhanced protection over total fuel economy. I do once per year oil changes as I drive this car about 3-4K per year. Otherwise I'd do 5K changes.

good luck!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #47
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, and how does Walmart get such low prices on brand names? Well they go to the manufacturers and 'assist' them with 'efficiency' changes to their production system in order to provide WMrt with products at the desired price point. Since WMrt is a big volume buyer, suppliers can set up an entirely separate production line, or divert from the regular line - basically cut corners at the factory, then put it in the same packaging. Perhaps that is how Mobil 1 lost their cert, but I don't have specifics. Nobody would, because this falls under trade secrets and they don't have to disclose (you might find diffs on the tech sheets, but only if ingredients were fully deleted). You can look this up, it isn't really secret but it also isn't widely publicized. Years ago I knew people at the Goodyear plant who warned me off of their tires from Wmrt or Costco because they weren't getting any quality control checks - they let the end users bring 'em back if they bubbled or took too much weight to balance and it saved the necessary 5-10%. I'm not willing to risk a motor by saving a few bucks.
Walmart is the largest retailer in the world. As a former business owner (retired now) I'm not arguing wlmart vs local. That is a whole different situation.

They have lower prices by a) being the largest in the world and buying huge qualities at the lowest prices possible. B) operating on lower margins than other retailers (like auto parts stores) C) Strong-arming their suppliers into less favorable terms to sell with the worlds largest retailer, thus getting better terms from supplier and lower prices. D) having often lower wages to pass those saving on. Just having non union labor vs a traditional grocery store is a huge factor.

Making a claim that name brand products there are lower quality than name brand products at other stores to save a buck is crazy talk. As a former CEO no brand would want to reduce their quality at a place that reaches more people than anywhere else. That is simply not true sir. In all honesty, depending upon your point of view, they way they get the prices is low is probably worse than that.

Today, Amazon is likely a greater threat economically speaking than WM. They are the new WM. That is also a whole different topic, too. I shop at both

Mobil 1 and castrol lost the certs because they changed the formulas everywhere. That BMW standard is old and not the future. Why spend the money to re-certify something that is an outdated rating? They have very high rating Mercedes and Porsche standards still. Especially the Ow-40 castrol, you can safely use that if you really wanted too!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #48
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Yes, I'm a crazy-talker. Castrol is Castrol, like Coke is Coke (but doesn't Castrol sell different types? And remember how Coke switched sugars quietly and then had to admit to 'New Coke' when people noticed?). You are probably right that nobody would ever violate the sanctity of the business environment to cut corners in order to deal w/ Walmart. They'd rather let their company die than change a recipe or sell something that isn't exactly what they sell everywhere else. Just like insurance companies would never tell you the aftermarket body parts are 'equivalent' if they weren't really the same part, right. I know this does happen in some industries, like the tire example I mentioned, but I can't actually verify it with the oil - just saying I'm not willing to chance it for a few bucks (and I see shopping at Walmart as generally destructive to American business). Now to don my tinfoil hat and spend some time in my orgone box....
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #49
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I'm a crazy-talker. Castrol is Castrol, like Coke is Coke (but doesn't Castrol sell different types? And remember how Coke switched sugars quietly and then had to admit to 'New Coke' when people noticed?). You are probably right that nobody would ever violate the sanctity of the business environment to cut corners in order to deal w/ Walmart. They'd rather let their company die than change a recipe or sell something that isn't exactly what they sell everywhere else. Just like insurance companies would never tell you the aftermarket body parts are 'equivalent' if they weren't really the same part, right. I know this does happen in some industries, like the tire example I mentioned, but I can't actually verify it with the oil - just saying I'm not willing to chance it for a few bucks (and I see shopping at Walmart as generally destructive to American business). Now to don my tinfoil hat and spend some time in my orgone box....
Their 0W-40 Euro blend is the same at Amazon, WM, ECS, Pep Boys, Kragen, NAPA, etc, etc. Same specs, same blend, same certifications.

Just don't put your tinfoil in the microwave my friend!!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #50
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post
The above statement regarding Walmart is a bit ludicrous in all honesty. Castrol is Castrol, and coke is coke. I would not buy a walmart brand of oil, but I do not think that is even a thing...
Walmart has its oil brand - Super Tech: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...-tech-syn-5-30
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #51
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

There are two commonly available Castrol Edge 0w40 Oils, 0w40 A3/B4 product code 467465, commonly available in the US and 0w40 product code 463998, commonly available in Europe.

US 0w40 is generally from refined oil base stock (25 to 50% synthetic stock): https://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/am...e/11351149.pdf

Euro 0w40 is generally from synthetic base stock {50 to 75% synthetic stock): https://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/am...le/2497318.pdf

Look for the “Made in Belgium” or “Made in Germany” for the Euro oil, “Made in the USA” for the US oil. Certainly in Canada I buy the Euro oil.

Any Castrol oil packaged in quarts will be US manufactured, any Euro manufactured oil will be in exact litre quantities, for example 946ml and 4.4 litre quantities are US manufactured oils.

Last edited by aerobod; 02-25-2020 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:47 PM   #52
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
There are two commonly available Castrol Edge 0w40 Oils, 0w40 A3/B4 product code 467465, commonly available in the US and 0w40 product code 463998, commonly available in Europe.

US 0w40 is generally from refined oil base stock (25 to 50% synthetic stock): https://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/am...e/11351149.pdf

Euro 0w40 is generally from synthetic base stock {50 to 75% synthetic stock): https://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/am...le/2497318.pdf

Look for the “Made in Belgium” or “Made in Germany” for the Euro oil, “Made in the USA” for the US oil. Certainly in Canada I buy the Euro oil.

Any Castrol oil packaged in quarts will be US manufactured, any Euro manufactured oil will be in exact litre quantities, for example 946ml and 4.4 litre quantities are US manufactured oils.
I should have clarified that Walmart brand oil for our cars is not really a thing.

The info above regarding the Castrol oil is good info for those not aware, for sure. The key point I was trying to make is that the US variety is not going to change from store to store. Especially due to some great conspiracy from huge resellers to sell them a few bucks less than your local name brand auto parts stores
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #53
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 2018

Mobil one euro

Can some one explain in simple terms why a Mobil one 0-40 oil that says euro on bottle and states it is for Mb and Audi Volkswagen but not bmw ?

Saw It on Amazon

Hap
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #54
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

Used to say BMW, until they lost the
BMW LL-01 certification a few years ago.
At that point they took BMW off of the label.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #55
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Many, like me, are the cynic when thinking about things... ie, oil losing it rating to being substandard.

When in all actuality, it is a commercial arrangement, whereas the manufacturer provides certification or recommendation which of course represents a significant number ($) for sales projections and they therefore want a "piece" of the action... No contract (kickback), no certification! Simple!

LL-01 Certification for example...

Looking for unicorns is a wasted effort. Oil is oil... Especially if you're "NOT" following that silly 10k mile interval BMW established due to their provisioning of said oil changes and associated costs.

Change it often if you want it to last, stay closer to the viscosity noted, but really there's a lot of wiggle room in regard to start/operating temps and oil viscosity. If you take a long trip, or drive it hard, change it when done. New Filter every change! No sense putting new oil and leaving old filter, is counter productive. I don't want to get into the micon capture capabilities of filters. Just change it... Anyways...

Changed my old engines every 2-3k miles on non-synthetic, 5k miles synthetic. One engine I had 230k+ miles, others always 150k+ without issues, hard driving always. There is no mystique, no secret sauce, just change the oil often and be happy!

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #56
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapbob View Post
Can some one explain in simple terms why a Mobil one 0-40 oil that says euro on bottle and states it is for Mb and Audi Volkswagen but not bmw ?

Saw It on Amazon

Hap
I used to listen to a master tech on the radio years ago and this is my take from listening to years of the show -

Like others stated maybe it is due to contract.

Though...some cars may have a bearing or a sealing material that needs or rejects an element. And I've heard that BMW main bearing tolerances are race car tight...so to wander from manufacturer approval may not always be without concern.

I could be plain wrong.

Last edited by overcoil; 03-06-2020 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #57
Chayo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i

Penzoil Euro L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapbob View Post

Saw It on Amazon

Hap
I used to listen to a master tech on the radio years ago and this is my take from listening to years of the show -

Like others stated maybe it is due to contract.

Though...some cars may have a bearing or a sealing material that needs or rejects an element. And I've heard that BMW main bearing tolerances are race car tight...so to wander from manufacturer approval may not always be without concern.

I could be plain wrong.
The Penzoil Euro L 5w30 is one of the recommended oils for our cars?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:06 PM   #58
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

I used to do Blackstone analyses quite frequently (bought the bulk pack because I did so many on my M cars that were notorious for bearing issues) and the results always came back great. It didn't matter whether I was using the BMW-specific Castrol straight from the dealer or Mobil 1 from Walmart. These cars aren't F1 vehicles that will explode at the sight of the wrong part.

Bottom line - just keep relatively fresh oil in your engines people. I don't think changing your oil every 5 to 7k miles is that burdensome or expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #59
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

The problem with oil threads is they ALL turn out like this one.
I have owned 2 early models with n55 engines. A 2011 335i and a 2013 X5. Still own the X5. Both those cars have had a steady diet of Mobil 1 0w-40 and then Castrol 0w-40 when M1 lost the LL-o1 cert. Now Castrol no longer carries the LL-01 cert. Oh dear, what are we to do now? The current cert is LL-01fe (fe=fuel economy). It is thinner oil to give slightly better gas mileage. That is it. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, M1,Castrol 0w-40 still meets Porsche, Audi/vw and Mercedes. These oils didn't suddenly suck, they are still good. Problem is that there are not very many easily attainable LL-01, LL-01fe oils. Who knows why they no longer carry the LL-01fe cert? One thing is certain, it is all about money. BMW started producing their own oil. I think they simply want to push selling their own stuff ($$$). That's just my opinion.

Use BMW 5w-30/0w-30 when in warranty (or forever), that is what I am using currently in my M235. getbmwparts.com will ship it to your door. There are other choices if you want to search/use the internet and mail order...

When out of warranty, use what you want. M1 and Castro 0w-40 both still work great. Might barely notice a little less MPG?

High performance turbo engines should (probably) be changed at 5k mile intervals (up to 7.5k miles).
      07-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #60
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

I agree, 5-6K or every 6 months. Overly protective, so what? No matter what you read this will protect the life of your engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #61
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Is there any data on BMW in general showing that changing oil at about twice the recommended frequency protects the engine?
Or is it just a matter of keeping the elephants away?
Appreciate 0