THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum My car is intermittently going into limp mode in hot weather

08-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix Mineral Grey

My car is intermittently going into limp mode in hot weather

Hey guys. This started happening about 3 weeks ago. On hot days, when the outside temp is 85 or above I have been getting random faults: Lighting system malfunction, cruise control malfunction, drive train malfunction, chassis malfunction. The last two cause my car to go into limp mode. I lose all power, the car goes into Neutral and I have to try and coast to the side of the road. I have been to my dealer ship 3 times already and every time they can't replicate the problem. First they were telling me it was because I had my radar detector plugged into OBD port, then it was because of the Bimmertech amplifier I installed. I removed everything and brought it back to stock and it is still happening. I'm guessing there is some connection somewhere that is heating upexpanding and causing an issue. Any thoughts?
2015 ///M235iX | Mineral Grey | Dakota Black | Premium | Tech | Cold | Driver Ast | HK Sound | Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Exhaust | Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler and Exhaust Finishers
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Don’t they have a flight data recorder they can plug in and have you drive around ? I realize they can’t do that on every intermittent issue but yours seems unusual.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep

You would think so but I really think that they think the issue is due to something I had installed.
2015 ///M235iX | Mineral Grey | Dakota Black | Premium | Tech | Cold | Driver Ast | HK Sound | Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Exhaust | Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler and Exhaust Finishers
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

First, hard to believe there is no fault code in the history to provide a clue. But, leave the car stock and call them the moment it happens to let them know you’re limping in to the service department. Failing that, again, leave it stock and ask for an appointment with the BMWNA tech who visits their store on a repeating schedule. Their pushback sounds ominously like a Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act defense and there needs to be a serious conversation about how a radar detector or music amplifier results in the problem. They can’t just speculate.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
kivyee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix Track Pack

Take it to a different dealer while stock...
Appreciate 1
mankid247109.50
      08-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
First, hard to believe there is no fault code in the history to provide a clue. But, leave the car stock and call them the moment it happens to let them know you’re limping in to the service department. Failing that, again, leave it stock and ask for an appointment with the BMWNA tech who visits their store on a repeating schedule. Their pushback sounds ominously like a Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act defense and there needs to be a serious conversation about how a radar detector or music amplifier results in the problem. They can’t just speculate.
Just to be clear. The car completely stalls out so not really a true limp mode. Pulling over and waiting a few minutes will usually allow me to restart and continue driving. I'm wondering if they just don't know what they are doing or not trying to reproduce the faults under proper conditions (above 85 degrees).
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Get it on video. My screen kept shutting down and rebooting and they couldn't replicate it so I finally recorded it and texted it to my SA. Then what do you know, they found the issue and it was fixed
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #8
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep

I have some photos but it's tough to do while driving when I'm trying to pull over safely. The faults usually don't stay on the screen. They clear themselves very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Consider checking the charge pipe connection at the throttle body and make sure it's not cracking and on the way out.

Have you cut or tapped any wires in the car? If so, I would double check all of that work.

Lastly, have you modified anything else on the car that is tied into the electrical system.
      08-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #10
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivyee View Post
Take it to a different dealer while stock...
^^^THIS!^^^
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #11
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Consider checking the charge pipe connection at the throttle body and make sure it's not cracking and on the way out.

Have you cut or tapped any wires in the car? If so, I would double check all of that work.

Lastly, have you modified anything else on the car that is tied into the electrical system.
Have not cut or tapped any wires. Everything is back to stock (removed Bimmertech amp and Technic ASD bypass harness). No tunes or chips.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #12
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Jesus, to have all of those malfunctions, something significant must be happening. My guess is a bad ground connection or FEM (front end module) failure. To have a lighting system, cruise, chassis and drivetrain combo, one of the modules have to have failed, or lost communication. Sometimes if you have a shorting circuit, the module can lock our certain signals/components from communicating, to protect the module from being damaged from a spike in the circuit. Hard to say, I'm not an expert, everything I'm saying is from my own diagnostic background both with my own vehicles, and customers/friends..

Could be as simple as re coding the modules at the dealer and/or a software update, hard to say.. Best to have them plug it in with an ISTA scanner, do a full download and have them work on this at a higher level. It sounds like you need to try a different dealer as well, they shouldn't be pushing back at this stage..
      08-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Have you checked the battery or the alternator?? Those are the simplest things to check coz your car seems to shut down when the demand on the electrical system is hight
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #14
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post
Have you checked the battery or the alternator?? Those are the simplest things to check coz your car seems to shut down when the demand on the electrical system is hight
I'll have to do that. You think the tech would have done that already but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #15
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Jesus, to have all of those malfunctions, something significant must be happening. My guess is a bad ground connection or FEM (front end module) failure. To have a lighting system, cruise, chassis and drivetrain combo, one of the modules have to have failed, or lost communication. Sometimes if you have a shorting circuit, the module can lock our certain signals/components from communicating, to protect the module from being damaged from a spike in the circuit. Hard to say, I'm not an expert, everything I'm saying is from my own diagnostic background both with my own vehicles, and customers/friends..

Could be as simple as re coding the modules at the dealer and/or a software update, hard to say.. Best to have them plug it in with an ISTA scanner, do a full download and have them work on this at a higher level. It sounds like you need to try a different dealer as well, they shouldn't be pushing back at this stage..
You were right. Dealer seems to think it may be the FEM Module. They are also trying to say that they think it was my Valentine One Savvy module that could have caused the problem. I doubt it though. I just hope they don't try to pull some nonsense about voiding warranty.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      08-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #16
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemh0ser View Post
You were right. Dealer seems to think it may be the FEM Module. They are also trying to say that they think it was my Valentine One Savvy module that could have caused the problem. I doubt it though. I just hope they don't try to pull some nonsense about voiding warranty.
Yea the dealerships like to talk a lot about "ifs and buts".. If you're under full factory warranty there should be no reason for them to push back on the repair, unless they like to create headaches for no reason...

My car is heavily modded and just had ABS module diagnosed and replaced with aftermarket BBK, lines, my own fluid, coded module etc, they noticed it all, and still took care of me. Your dealer should do the same!