THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Visited the BMW plant in Leipzig

09-05-2019, 02:55 AM   #1
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Smile Visited the BMW plant in Leipzig

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My wife and I have just visited the BMW plant in Leipzig and it is highly recommended. There were no available tours on the production line so we booked an architectural tour since the office part of the building is a bit special and we already have seen the production line in Munich. The building had been designed by Zaha Hadid and awarded design prices so we thought it would be a different experience. The plant was built in the mid 00’s and so is the office I am working in daily and even though my work place is considered modern it seems old fashioned compared to the BMW plant. Within the office the cars produced are transported from fx body build to painting and back to the assembly line above the office workers. Really cool!

It turned out that we actually booked a group tour for up till 25 persons just for the two of us. This was a clear benefit for us. It made the tour feel very exclusive because we could ask all the questions we wanted and we had more time to look around and see more than the standard tour made possible. Actually we also had a bit time to see some parts of the production line. Like the marriage process between the drive train and the body of the car. Actually the plant layout lets you see much more of the production than the Munich plant and also get closer to the production line to get a better look. As if they considered tours when they build the plant

Normally we should be allowed to see the “quality room” but that was blinded due to some secret work on some new 2-series models (probably 2GC or M2 news). We tried to persuade the guide to let us have a peak but that was not possible.

Lastly we actually also went to BMW Welt during our holiday and was a bit of disappointed. Fx the shop had a poor selection of products. It actually looked like the BMW Lifestyle Shop at the Leipzig plant had a much better selection of products and the dealership in Leipzig is placed just next to the plant so you have more than just a plant to look at.

So if you are looking for a visit to a BMW plant I can highly recommend taking a look at Leipzig as an option to Munich regardless whether you are into architecture or production facilities.