THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Focal IFBMW vs. current IS/IC series

03-01-2021, 01:33 AM   #1
Sunsetter
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i convertible

Focal IFBMW vs. current IS/IC series

I have decided to give the Focal BMW-specific speakers a shot to replace the HK speakers in my 2015 M235 convertible. I have already swapped the amp for the Audiotec Fischer Match UP 7BMW and have added an 8" Alpine subwoofer powered by a 500W Kicker amp in the trunk. The stock Harman Kardon speakers are just not cutting it, they are too muddy. I nearly always drive with the top down, so I think the brightness of the Focal speakers might be good at cutting through all of the ambient noise. I was all set to order the IFBMW set I had previously seen for sale, but now see that Focal has discontinued that line and replaced it with these "Focal Inside" speakers. Probably a long shot, but has anyone been able to compare these? The new ones are 1db less sensitive than the old ones (higher the better for me given convertible), have a different midrange driver, and are cheaper, but I am not finding anything in the way of reviews on either. The fact that they are cheaper makes me suspicious they have downgraded and I should get the old version while there is still stock available, but of course price is not always an indicator of quality...any experiences you all can share with either of these would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 05:15 PM   #2
Arominus
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i THP, 89 944S2

I printed the adapters off thingiverse and im currently running the focal integration coaxials as my front speaker set right now, they were a marked improvement from the stock hifi widebands. They keep up with the JL 10w3v3 i have in the trunk in a visual ice box decently. I just had the new Focal Insides components and tweeter pods delivered a few days ago.

The midbass magnets are smaller in diameter on the insides, but they are neodyium magnets so thats not a problem. They reach 20hz deeper offically, which will be a good fit for the front sound stage, this is something i feel the integrations are a little lacking in. I'll be moving the integrations to the rear.

If you're willing to roll on ebay, you can get them for a more reasonable price, $270 vs $499 from the seller i got mine from. I paid $5 shipping and got them from Germany in 2 days. He has the coaxials and center channel too if you want to go all in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-5er...MAAOSw9p1e8n4G
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #3
SG_92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 2 Series M240i

I'm just about in love with anything focal, I've been using focal studio monitors for years in my recording studio. I had my sights on the focal 2-way component kit paired with a Match UP 7 for my F22 as I wanted more volume & clarity/definition from my system. I had been dragging my feet to commit to that setup for about a year and I was about to pull the trigger when I found that Integral Audio had just released a system specifically for the 2-series. They have been on this forum a bunch for their F30/80 systems & I was pretty excited to discover what they had to offer for this new line.

I pulled the trigger a few days ago so I'll let you know how it is after I do the install. What sold me honestly were the reviews for their other products, seems like they take "vehicle specific" to a different level - their crossover design and component builds are impressive.

https://integralaudio.com/soundstage...ies-coupe.html
Appreciate 0