THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Did I crack my charge pipe?

05-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Background: I've been running a BM3 stage 1 tune on 93 octane for almost a year. Always in sport+ mode.

I was pulling away from a stop light and when accelerating after shifting into 2nd gear the car made what was almost like a popping sound and I had a major loss of power. Diverter also now makes a weird almost whistling sound. I have like 30%-50% power and have to rev up to 3,000 rpm to feel like I can actually get moving. No warnings or errors on the dash though.

Guess I'll have to revert the DME back to stock. If it is the charge pipe then hopefully they'll see it as a "known issue" and not dig too far into the logs. If it is the charge pipe will it be covered? It's a 2016 and still under warranty.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Why not just take a peek under the hood and order a real chargepipe?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
Tried that, but I didn't see much. I considered getting an aftermarket pipe, but I want to get a DP and intercooler at the same time. Timing sucks for me though because I just bought a house and would rather put the money into getting this place fixed up.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Quote:
Tried that, but I didn't see much. I considered getting an aftermarket pipe, but I want to get a DP and intercooler at the same time. Timing sucks for me though because I just bought a house and would rather put the money into getting this place fixed up.
Look at the connection between the charge pipe and throttle body, it's usually pretty obvious.
Appreciate 1
BentZero624.50
      05-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Look at the connection between the charge pipe and throttle body, it's usually pretty obvious.
Lol, just got back from looking. I was looking down in the bay. It's at the manifold like you said. Broke clean off. I'm not driving 20 miles to the dealer with it like that. Gonna have to get it towed. Luckily I've got two vehicles. Guess I'll be in the dad mobile for a bit.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Lol, just got back from looking. I was looking down in the bay. It's at the manifold like you said. Broke clean off. I'm not driving 20 miles to the dealer with it like that. Gonna have to get it towed. Luckily I've got two vehicles. Guess I'll be in the dad mobile for a bit.
Yea I wasn't so lucky, I limped it home with a few zip ties and ordered an aftermarket one. Definitely worth the peace of mind!
Appreciate 1
BentZero624.50
      05-21-2019, 01:59 AM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
If it's still under warranty then you should get a free one at the dealer... but it will be the same....so might break in another 2-3 years...
Appreciate 1
BentZero624.50
      05-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #8
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:
If it's still under warranty then you should get a free one at the dealer... but it will be the same....so might break in another 2-3 years...
I'm gonna get it replaced early next year. Just not ready to do it rn. The joys of modifying your car I guess.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #9
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

I am on my first BMW, a 230i and a complete neophyte at the vernacular used here. Can someone make a "for dummies" translation of this? What is the charge pipe, what does a BM3 stage 1 tune do? What is a DME?

Do these charge pipes break on all BMWs?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
I am on my first BMW, a 230i and a complete neophyte at the vernacular used here. Can someone make a "for dummies" translation of this? What is the charge pipe, what does a BM3 stage 1 tune do? What is a DME?

Every one of your questions can easily be found with the SEARCH feature. No need for someone to type up an entire response for these questions which are readily available. You were here long enough, stop being so lazy!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'll give this a shot, but I'm far from the most knowledgeable here. Comically so lol.

Charge pipe aka CP - The turbo sends compressed air to the intercooler. Intercooler cools the air down because the process of compressing air heats it up because science. The now cooled and compressed air travels through the charge pipe and into the intake manifold.

BM3 - This is short for Bootmod3 aka Bootmode for the non-leet speak. Bootmode, by a company called Pro-tuning Freaks aka PTF, is one of many aftermarket tunes on the market. These tunes increase the amount of boost applied by the turbo. Stock boost is around 9psi if I remember correctly.

DME - DME is a fancy way of saying ECU. BM3 tunes the vehicle by modifying the algorithms in the DME. BM3 modifies the DME by flashing it to new mappings. The DME/ECU has a flash counter in it. BMW can look at this flash counter and see that the DME has been flashed post-production aka aftermarket. BM3 has the ability to theoretically reset that counter back to its stock value thus making the tune harder to detect. Note, this does not mean undetectable.

Stage 1 - There's a pinned thread on here about tune stages that I'd suggest you check out, but stage 1 is for a stock car. Stage 2 is for those that have replaced their charge pipe, down pipe and exhaust with aftermarket parts. I believe stage 1 produces around 12psi. Someone will correct me there. There are custom tunes and meth tunes and beyond. I won't go beyond stage 2 just because I want to keep it relatively simple.

My point of failure - The stock charge pipe is made of plastic. No idea why besides weight and money. The stock pipe will fail under factory boost. Now, add more boost via some tune and the problem is worse and failure is all but guaranteed. By fail we mean that it will crack/break. An aftermarket CP is metal and can handle more boost.

Build thread
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      05-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #12
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

CP is dead. First thing when tuning is change your charge pipe.

There is countless posts and a poll all saying the same thing.

4" Muffler clamp will get around the TB/CP and get you where you need to go.

It will even handle a few laps like this in a pinch.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
BentZero624.50
      05-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #13
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_G01 View Post

It will even handle a few laps like this in a pinch.
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      05-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #14
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Every one of your questions can easily be found with the SEARCH feature. No need for someone to type up an entire response for these questions which are readily available. You were here long enough, stop being so lazy!
Your kindness is appreciated. As you can see, someone answered me. I didn't start a thread asking a bunch of questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #15
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Your kindness is appreciated. As you can see, someone answered me. I didn't start a thread asking a bunch of questions.
LOL Your questions were as basic as they come and you couldn't search for it? That's called laziness!

"What is the charge pipe, what does a BM3 stage 1 tune do? What is a DME?"

I supposed you'd want someone to wipe your a$$ after you sh!t too? The toilet paper is right there but you're too lazy to reach for it?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #16
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

see clamp holding CP on during a track day when it failed.
Attached Images

2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:02 PM   #17
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_G01 View Post
see clamp holding CP on during a track day when it failed.
very classy
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:57 PM   #18
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
very classy
send it