THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics BimmerTech backup/front mount Camera

11-15-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

BimmerTech backup/front mount Camera

Okay so I ordered and installed an MMI Back up camera in my M235I. I have been chasing a camera trigger issue since it is a 6speed manual and a relay coming to wire in line to hopefully solve that problem. Through all the trouble shooting and seeing how the factory is recommending wiring in the relay it got me to thinking. The unit has the ability to run a front camera. it appears that the camera is relatively simply video and 12volt to power it. Am i missing something the Bimmertech camera is almost $200. I know that you get what you pay for but there are hundreds of weather proof 12volts cameras for less then $20 up to $200 that should be able to be used has anyone attempted this. I cant seem to find anyone posted doing this

11/21/2019
okay so after a lot of waiting the relay came from Bimmertech today so i got that wired in, it was somewhat straight forward but I found that you cant tap off the camera 12volt power supply its not active until it gets the signal to turn on from the backup light. So i tapped off a switched 12volt supply and things worked great.
Now for the fun part the $30 backup/front mount camera also arrived. So after setting the front camera to ON via the MMI menu and figuring out what button had to be pressed to activate I was able to verify and test the camera and found it will work

Last edited by pmcmtnbkr; 11-21-2019 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0