THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Full screen CarPlay on 2015 m235i

04-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
ddgreens
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235xi

Full screen CarPlay on 2015 m235i

Hey all,
I thought I would share my experience with updating my 2015 m235i to ID6.
First of all, I came from a car that had CarPlay and it turned out I didn’t use it that much. This was a couple of years ago and I mostly used Waze for navigation so it just went unused. It was still pretty cool for my podcasts and music but I found myself not using it most of the time.
Now that CarPlay supports Waze (and others) I wanted to give it a shot again.
I contacted Steve at codemybimmer.com and gave him my VIN so he could check compatibility with my car.
It turns out all I needed was the radio and the wireless antenna.
The parts were on backorder, so I put down a deposit and waited.
Full screen was not available at the time, the team at codemybimmer was still working on it.
I told them if it was available once the parts came in that is what I wanted (I was even willing to beta test it for them).
A few weeks later Steve contacted me and said the unit was ready and they had a working version of full screen
This was a very simple install, it literally was a swap.
I pulled one radio out and put the other in (plus the antenna).
Started the car and everything worked as expected.
I love the new system (ID6) and CarPlay, this is what I think the car was missing (for me).
I did have one problem, a few days after install the screen went black. Everything was working but I could not see anything on the screen.
I emailed Steve and he called me 5 minutes later.
I don’t remember exactly what the problem was, but he gave me a very simple workaround while he worked on it.
The workaround was to hold the power button for 30 seconds. This resets the radio and all works again for a few days.
Steve got back with me and said the newer versions of the firmware tend to cause voltage issues with the screen causing the blackout.
The only options were to flash it back to an older firmware (and lose full screen CarPlay) or to purchase a new screen.
He offered to flash the unit free of charge or do the coding if I purchased the new screen (they don’t sell them).
As it sits now I have ordered the screen and am waiting for it.
The blackouts don’t happen that often and the workaround it very easy so I am still very happy.
All this to say, Steve and the team at codemybimmer are awesome to work with and I highly recommend them. They have answered all my questions quickly and are always willing to help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Very nice upgrade. Cost?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
ddgreens
Rep

It completely depends on your car and options you want. Also, tell then you saw it on the forum and they give a little discount.
I don’t remember the exact, but I paid just under $1500 which is not cheap but again, I wanted CarPlay.
I also ordered the screen of ebay for around $300
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

You had me there until you said the screen blanks out..

I would like to try CarPlay for the Waze and the Napster APP but I'm not risking any complications to my ride, as it ain't that serious..

Nice share though, good to learn that it's possible from a user's POV and not just someone trying to push it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgreens View Post
It completely depends on your car and options you want. Also, tell then you saw it on the forum and they give a little discount.
I don’t remember the exact, but I paid just under $1500 which is not cheap but again, I wanted CarPlay.
I also ordered the screen of ebay for around $300
Thanks. I would have guessed higher.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
ddgreens
Rep

To be clear, the screen blacks out because of the latest firmware which allows full screen CarPlay.
If you are OK with CarPlay the way it comes in a BMW (split screen) then you will have no problems.
I am OK with it the way it is. If it does black out it is only at startup which I can fix quickly.
However, I did order the touchscreen to fix the problem.
Thanks
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      04-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

First, steve@codemybimmer is awesome to deal with. I did this upgrade a while ago for my 2016.

I actually prefer the split screen. I like album art and the split screen gives me that so I wouldn't have coded it for full screen in any event.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
To be clear, the screen blacks out because of the latest firmware which allows full screen CarPlay.
If you are OK with CarPlay the way it comes in a BMW (split screen) then you will have no problems.
I am OK with it the way it is. If it does black out it is only at startup which I can fix quickly.
Thanks
Thanks for the positive and honest review!

Let us know when once the touch screen comes in and we'll be happy to assist you with the coding.

We actually have a version of the firmware now that supports fullscreen Apple CarPlay and allows you to use the older ID4 EVO screen without any blackouts. Your wife's unit will be shipped with this version of the firmware
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 05-04-2019 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 01:22 AM   #9
sea_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Quote:
Thanks
Thanks for the positive and honest review!

Let me us know when once the touch screen comes in and we'll be happy to assist you with the coding.

We actually have a version of the firmware now that supports fullscreen Apple CarPlay and allows you to use the older ID4 EVO screen without any blackouts. Your wife's unit will be shipped with this version of the firmware
Whats the all in cost to upgrade to ID6?

Sold: 2015 M235i RWD, MHD Stage 2, FBO, MPE, XHP, HPD5Evo | IG @sea_m235i
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #10
ddgreens
Rep

Quick update.
I got the touchscreen in and installed it in 5 minutes (very easy).
Then I called Steve who programmed the touch to work.

I am completely happy with the system and codemybimmer.
I have had no screen blackouts since I changed the screen.
I would recommend this to anyone who is wanting ID6 or CarPlay in general
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:50 AM   #11
Excezz
Rep
Drives: M2

Totally agree with you man.

'16 F87 with ID4 swapped to ID6 with touchscreen. Got waze now!
Best thing is that waze uses the car's GPS data.

Connecteddrive services all remained.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 10:24 PM   #12
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

I have a 2017 M240. Is there a cheaper way to *just* get full screen carplay? I don't care about ID6 or touchscreen, I just want full screen carplay. The 2/3 size carplay I have right now just looks dumb :P.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 02:20 AM   #13
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
I have a 2017 M240. Is there a cheaper way to *just* get full screen carplay? I don't care about ID6 or touchscreen, I just want full screen carplay. The 2/3 size carplay I have right now just looks dumb :P.
When you go the Navigation version, what letter comes after NBT_evo? If it's "N" or "O", we can just send you a USB script that can enable fullscreen Apple CarPlay for you.

If it's on any other version, we also offer remote flashes to bring your existing unit to the necessary firmware and change Apple CarPlay to fullscreen from there.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #14
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
When you go the Navigation version, what letter comes after NBT_evo? If it's "N" or "O", we can just send you a USB script that can enable fullscreen Apple CarPlay for you.

If it's on any other version, we also offer remote flashes to bring your existing unit to the necessary firmware and change Apple CarPlay to fullscreen from there.
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately mine is NBTevo_K******. I'll shoot you an email regarding the remote flash.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 05:58 AM   #15
knotMoving
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228i THP convertible

Steve - been thinking about this for a while.
I have a 228i build date was early 2015. Is this radio:antenna conversion compatible with my car?
Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #16
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotMoving View Post
Steve - been thinking about this for a while.
I have a 228i build date was early 2015. Is this radio:antenna conversion compatible with my car?
Thx
If the build date is March 2015 or later, your vehicle would be in the same criteria as the OP and you can definitely take advantage of this retrofit.

Feel free to send me a PM with your VIN for further confirmation.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00