THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB scheduled maintenance

01-04-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
aerodavew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

scheduled maintenance

2014 M235
Is there anywhere I can see the recommended intervals for changing various fluids etc?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

at time of delivery a SERVICE WARRANTY brochure is delivered, though no trans or axle fluid change out are posted - but I need to double check.
Attached Images

Last edited by overcoil; 01-04-2020 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Here are my recommendation:
1. Oil and filter: 5k-7k miles*
2. Manual transmission: 20k miles
3. Automatic transmission: 50k miles; full flush at 100k miles
4. Differential: 50k miles
5. Coolant: every 3 years

* OCI's depend on things such as:
1. Highway versus city driving
2. Track time, aggressive driving
3. Cold starts
4. Oil brand

I mention oil brand as Blackstone Labs sez that "consumer" synthetic oil last between 8k and 9k miles. Basically, the additives wear out. Consumer synthetic oil is actually made from either oil from the ground or natural gas. They have grade 3 base stock. Oils such as Redline and LiquiMoly are "true" synthetics as their base stocks are synthesized polymer chains. Their base stocks are grades 5 and 4, respectively.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2020, 04:52 AM   #4
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Never, ever "flush" the oil in a transmission... Just saying!

BMW recommended fluid service intervals increased to ridiculous lenghts when they began including it in their maintenance programs. Don't buy into "lifetime" oil, etc.

And yes, synthetics do have extended life before breakdown, but there is nothing wrong with being smart and using shorter intervals, ie, 5k mile oil changes. This, along with the well worn subject of "which oil is best", are searchable here and by using Google. You'll find enough banter on the subject to be reading for years! Lol.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Never, ever "flush" the oil in a transmission... Just saying!

BMW recommended fluid service intervals increased to ridiculous lenghts when they began including it in their maintenance programs. Don't buy into "lifetime" oil, etc.

And yes, synthetics do have extended life before breakdown, but there is nothing wrong with being smart and using shorter intervals, ie, 5k mile oil changes. This, along with the well worn subject of "which oil is best", are searchable here and by using Google. You'll find enough banter on the subject to be reading for years! Lol.

Good luck!
Why never flush an automatic transmission?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
I think some manufacturers recommend use of a machine to flush transmission fluid ?

But universal machines that do different manufacturers cars...I don’t know if that is good.

Don’t they say engine oil flushed are problematic?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I think some manufacturers recommend use of a machine to flush transmission fluid ?
But universal machines that do different manufacturers cars...I don’t know if that is good.
I've had the E46 & E39 automatic transmissions flushed at an indy shop using the BG power flush machine. No problems.
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/trans...change-system/
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #8
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Some old school guys think that if you swap out the fluid then it'll be to slick causing your trans to slip. It's not really the case in modern transmissions.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #9
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Because somehow or another, BMW owners think their vehicles are different from all others, sure, go ahead and "flush" all you want. It's the lazy man special and shops love it too, no work, and charge $$$.

If you want, you can search (outside your comfort zone) and once you've read enough about the advantage/disadvantage of flushing fluids, you can make your own conclusion rather than try to argue the point when you have little experience.

It has nothing to do with old school or modern transmissions. Lol, they still work the same way, maybe more gears, but work the same way.

But Ok, I'll go there... The disadvantage by forcing fluid through the transmission is pushing particles into channels and places they wouldn't otherwise get with the normal function of the transmission. In addition to circulating fluids in counter direction to normal flow, the transmission filter is left in place, what do you think happens to all the material there? Hmmmm?

Proper method to "CHANGE" transmission fluid is to drop the pan, remove and replace the transmission filter, close pan, refill fluid, drive, bring up to normal temp, recheck fluid, do it again. That takes work, it takes time, and has a higher cost for both the customer and shop. And yes, the "Old School" rule still applies as well, that if you haven't changed the transmission fluid and you're at or over 100k miles, don't bother as there's a high incidence of issues in transmissions shortly thereafter for those who do.

Have fun!
Appreciate 1