THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Recently acquired 2011 Cayman Base 6MT and LONG story

05-15-2023, 02:52 PM   #45
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

That'd be well past $10K here through an indy, maybe $15K.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 01:11 PM   #46
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
That'd be well past $10K here through an indy, maybe $15K.
That's crazy. It really does pay to invest in some tools and internet research and YT watching. There is nothing special about the way a Porsche comes a part and goes back together compared to any other car of the same age. Yes, the quality of the parts is generally better and usually a few more things have to be removed to get to the thing you're working on, but it's all just Legos............expensive Legos.
      05-16-2023, 01:16 PM   #47
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

A lot of it is parts costs man, labour is not THAT bad. To get, for example, parts and the fluids for a PDK service, so OEM recommended fluids and aftermarket pan, was damn near $1,000 CDN once i factor in exchange and shipping from USA. In the end i went to an INDy who obviously gets this stuff in bulk, and spent just under $1K with labour.

Parts here are insane as they are all coming from USA.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 01:26 PM   #48
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
The side decals look good. I don’t like them on all P-cars, but they look good on your Cayman.
Thank you. I'm usually not a car decal guy, but I like the Cayman R stickers as they are a throw back to the 1970s Porsche decals and I think they reduce some of the visual mass of the side profile.
      05-16-2023, 01:42 PM   #49
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I will be adding this subtle one to my car soon. Though mine will be silver as the car is blue and wheels silver.

Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      05-16-2023, 01:43 PM   #50
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

After 6 months of ownership, the Cayman's power delivery, handling, and ride quality has made me realize the following:

1) I really appreciate naturally aspirated motor throttle response. I didn't realize how bad the turbo lag is in my modded M235 and how different the power delivery is between the two cars. The Cayman's response is immediate assuming you're in a useable rpm. The M235 has a momentary delay and then shoves and builds and builds smoothly and strongly, like riding a really good wave.

2) The Cayman really lacks power below 4500rpms and the long gearing makes it worse. When hustling the car through tight corners and hitting the apex in the 3000-4000rpm range in 2nd and 3rd, the motor feels weak for a few seconds as it seeks it's powerband. The Sprint Booster I added does help things a lot though.

3) From 5000-7400rpms, the Cayman screams and pulls surprisingly hard for an NA 2.9 H6. The long gearing is designed to put you in the powerband only when shifting at redline. It clearly has some big cams that trade low end power for higher rpm pull, much like a bigger displacement old school Honda motor.

4) My M235 handles quite well for a street car (has some mild suspension work and a 245/35R18 MP4S setup), but is a joke compared to the Cayman in terms of composure and grip. It makes me want a 2017-2018 M2 even more so now which will eventually replace the M235.

5) The current gen Pirelli PZero rubber is absolute garbage. Maybe it's because they Porsche N rated tires, but they ride extremely hard, "ping" on pavement cuts, and create a graininess/hum through the chassis above 30mph that gets worse as they wear. The rear tires will be done in 10K miles. I wish the selling dealer would have left the old tires on and gave me a $1000 credit for new tires. Can't wait for them to die and get the MP4S.
      05-16-2023, 01:52 PM   #51
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Don't start m eon the gearing, 3rd is WAY too long on my car. However I am not feeling the lack of ooomph below 4500 rpm you are, maybe the extra 1 litre of capacity makes a difference here. I find she pulls hard even from 2500 RPM.

I just got new rubber, 8 year old PZERO replaces with new MPS4s ....... the difference in comlpliance is absolutely insane.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 04:05 PM   #52
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
That's crazy. It really does pay to invest in some tools and internet research and YT watching. There is nothing special about the way a Porsche comes a part and goes back together compared to any other car of the same age. Yes, the quality of the parts is generally better and usually a few more things have to be removed to get to the thing you're working on, but it's all just Legos............expensive Legos.
Agree. This is one of the benefits to Porsche owners who DIY, that comes from VAG ownership. VAG is the largest car company in the world so it goes with saying that they know how to do anything automotive, reasonably well if not better. It doesn’t bother me at all to see 4-ring or VW logos under the hood and on the chassis of the Cayenne. The vehicle as a whole is distinct, and common parts bin components do not detract from this. Porsche is doing it right.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 01:33 PM   #53
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Don't start m eon the gearing, 3rd is WAY too long on my car. However I am not feeling the lack of ooomph below 4500 rpm you are, maybe the extra 1 litre of capacity makes a difference here. I find she pulls hard even from 2500 RPM.

I just got new rubber, 8 year old PZERO replaces with new MPS4s ....... the difference in comlpliance is absolutely insane.
Yeah, I think the difference in displacement makes a difference. I drove a 987.1 Boxster S yesterday and the .3 liter increase in displacement over my Cayman's 2.9 was apparent during normal sub 4,000rpm driving. The 2.9 seems to pull stronger above 6,000rpms, but below that, the 3.2 felt a bit stronger.

I'm jealous of your tire replacement and I'm glad to hear that there is such an improvement in compliance.

BTW, those side decals look nice. Very subtle.
      05-17-2023, 01:34 PM   #54
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Agree. This is one of the benefits to Porsche owners who DIY, that comes from VAG ownership. VAG is the largest car company in the world so it goes with saying that they know how to do anything automotive, reasonably well if not better. It doesn’t bother me at all to see 4-ring or VW logos under the hood and on the chassis of the Cayenne. The vehicle as a whole is distinct, and common parts bin components do not detract from this. Porsche is doing it right.
I think most Porsche owners have more money than sense and they would rather stand around at stare at their cars and talk about option packages and rarity. Boring.
      05-17-2023, 01:46 PM   #55
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I think most Porsche owners have more money than sense and they would rather stand around at stare at their cars and talk about option packages and rarity. Boring.
You'd be wrong. That is some Porsche owners.

But I've been to plenty of track days (and some rallies) filled with Porschephiles who drive their cars hard, more than most BMW drivers.
Appreciate 1
PcarFan932.00
      05-17-2023, 02:05 PM   #56
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
You'd be wrong. That is some Porsche owners.

But I've been to plenty of track days (and some rallies) filled with Porschephiles who drive their cars hard, more than most BMW drivers.
I'd agree that there some, like the Boxster owner I met yesterday and the ones I've met a local track, but most I've come across aren't willing to really hustle their cars at all for fear of putting miles on them, get a ding, much less having the skills to drive their car even at 5/10, or turn a bolt I'm talking about many of the guys with more expensive $60K+ Porsches. Someone like myself with a $30K base model low hp Porsche is often looked down upon. I'm fine with that. The guys I can relate to are those that can wrench, drive, and talk shop. I'm not into Cars and Coffee stuff where people just stand around their cars and talk about how rare their color combo is. Too dorky for me. Too much money and not much substance. Same could be said for many groups but Porsche owners seem to be some of the worst offenders. I'd rather be in a garage wrenching and drinking beer with other car guys or out on a B road moving at a brisk, but safe pace with good drivers.

Last edited by XutvJet; 05-17-2023 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2023, 02:24 PM   #57
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah highly recommend the Michelins. Truth be told, I am not gonna test the absolute last 5% of grip they may or may not have over the PZERO but compliance wise, it's insane, it's like a different car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 03:02 PM   #58
jeff113
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, Focus RS

I always am chasing a larger displacement flat 6. My first experience was driving a 2.7L Boxster that definitely needed more power. Then I bought a 981 GTS with the 3.4L. Eventually I drove a friend's 981 Spyder and felt like I needed the 3.8L.

Trying to buy a 981 GT4 now but the market is pretty crazy. Tempted to go for the 718 GT4 to get the 4.0L.
Appreciate 1
PcarFan932.00
      05-17-2023, 04:41 PM   #59
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Anything with a NA flat 6 is stubbornly holding or even rising in value, it's utterly insane in this climate. God help us when things get better.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 10:36 PM   #60
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

I swear my Cayman has all the common 987 issues. When I was replacing a vacuum line a few weeks back, I noticed oil residue on the belt tensioner. I ordered a new OE tensioner to $40 and while installing it this week, I noticed the headliner starting to sag at the back. Another common issue! Now I've got to learn to do that job. This car has taught me a lot about Porsches in 8 months. LOL
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      05-26-2023, 10:43 PM   #61
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

You're a better man than me, how it was listed CPO is quite something.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 10:56 PM   #62
diirk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC BGM

Garage List
Welcome to the Cayman club. It's tough to find anything that really compares to one.
Attached Images

15 Beetle Vert
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      05-29-2023, 01:13 PM   #63
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You're a better man than me, how it was listed CPO is quite something.
Yep. CPO is joke and the CPO process is superficial at best. I was expecting to get a Porsche free from mechanical defects if it's CPO'd, but that is certainly not the case. Granted, the headliner didn't start to fall until 6 months after owning the car. It was another thing I figured I'd have to fix at some point because it happens too all 987 Caymans. The repair is easy for a DIYer and about $100 in materials. CPO doesn't cover falling headliners as Porsche views it as "wear and tear" LOL.

So far the things missed by CPO:

1) Heavily worn clutch with a bent pressure plate finger and failing OEM flywheel.

2) Torn engine mount that could be felt.

3) Cracked AOS to MAF vent line, no hard to miss considering the oil residue in the area of the crack.

4) Destroyed front strut bump stops, easily observable when they removed the wheels to inspect the brakes.

5) Leaking belt tensioner.

Everything else I've done to the car is preventative maintenance.

I'm certain the front and top engine covers were never removed during the CPO inspection.