THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Classifieds Members Classifieds Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons Stock Differential from 2019 BMW M240i RWD auto trans

01-30-2023, 01:33 PM   #1
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Stock Differential from 2019 BMW M240i RWD auto trans

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Or Best Offer

Item Interest
I have the stock differential from my RWD-auto trans 2019 M240i. The diff was removed in June 2022 to make way for the M Perf LSD and has about 31K miles on it. The diff is in great condition and there were zero issues when it was in my car. Just wanted to go with the LSD for better traction and performance. I couldn't find any posting rules about requiring a price so I'm starting this post to see if there are any interested parties.

For those that would like a stock diff to swap out, have as a backup, or whatever lets chat. I don't really know what I should be asking for this part. I would be willing to meet up locally and would explore shipping assuming the selling price works.

Thanks,
Joe

02-03-2023, 09:16 AM   #2
BlueberryPie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Convertible

Free bump for you...can you confirm the part number of the M performance LSD you put in your RWD auto?
- BimmerWorld TA5R - 18x8.5 +38/Michelin PS4S 235/40/18 Square
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 09:37 AM   #3
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueberryPie View Post
Free bump for you...can you confirm the part number of the M performance LSD you put in your RWD auto?
Sure thing. Part # is 33108659989. Are you looking to get one installed? Let me know. I have recommendations on what you are trying to do.
      02-03-2023, 01:43 PM   #4
BlueberryPie
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Sure thing. Part # is 33108659989. Are you looking to get one installed? Let me know. I have recommendations on what you are trying to do.
Thanks! I am looking to put one in, not sure how soon that will happen though. Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2042.00
      02-03-2023, 02:50 PM   #5
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I am looking to put one in, not sure how soon that will happen though. Any advice is appreciated.
Nice. You will love the improvement in performance and it was worth every penny in my opinion. If you are planning on doing the work yourself or in a friends garage you will save some money but you will need a differential lift. If you need to pay someone to do it here are my recommended options:

1. Most convenient option: Go to your BMW dealer's website, go to the BMW factory accessories, enter your car's info, and then package out adding the M Perf LSD with dealer install. This will be somewhere between $3200 to $3500 for parts and labor but pretty slick as the dealer orders the part there and they are the ones doing the work.

2. Most economical option: Buy the LSD from BMW Parts Hub, you can find them on sale for about $2200 to $2300 shipped. Then find a shop you can trust to install. Expect about $550 to $850 for the labor.

I went with option 2 as when I was buying the part my dealer wouldn't allow me to package it out online and the service advisor quoted me like $4500. I purchased the LSD from BMW Parts Hub for $2280 for the part shipped and a local shop did the work for about $800.

If you end getting the LSD let me know if you find a solution for what to do with the stock diff.
      02-03-2023, 05:53 PM   #6
BlueberryPie
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice. You will love the improvement in performance and it was worth every penny in my opinion. If you are planning on doing the work yourself or in a friends garage you will save some money but you will need a differential lift. If you need to pay someone to do it here are my recommended options:

1. Most convenient option: Go to your BMW dealer's website, go to the BMW factory accessories, enter your car's info, and then package out adding the M Perf LSD with dealer install. This will be somewhere between $3200 to $3500 for parts and labor but pretty slick as the dealer orders the part there and they are the ones doing the work.

2. Most economical option: Buy the LSD from BMW Parts Hub, you can find them on sale for about $2200 to $2300 shipped. Then find a shop you can trust to install. Expect about $550 to $850 for the labor.

I went with option 2 as when I was buying the part my dealer wouldn't allow me to package it out online and the service advisor quoted me like $4500. I purchased the LSD from BMW Parts Hub for $2280 for the part shipped and a local shop did the work for about $800.

If you end getting the LSD let me know if you find a solution for what to do with the stock diff.
Thanks for all the info! Most likely option 2, slight chance I'll do it myself but spare time is hard to come by.

Did you change the fluid after the break-in period?

Also, were you tuned before or after the LSD? I'm afraid of adding too much power without an LSD then having a deathtrap in my hands. I'm used to the safety net of AWD or something low-powered like the S2000.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 08:15 AM   #7
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the info! Most likely option 2, slight chance I'll do it myself but spare time is hard to come by.

Did you change the fluid after the break-in period?

Also, were you tuned before or after the LSD? I'm afraid of adding too much power without an LSD then having a deathtrap in my hands. I'm used to the safety net of AWD or something low-powered like the S2000.
Yes, I had the shop change out the diff fluid at around 1200 miles of use. The break in period was doing a bunch of figure 8's and full crank turns, then light to moderate driving until the fluid change.

I was tuned before the LSD. I wouldn't worry about tuning making the car dangerous. You will just have more wheelspin and the traction control will be on a lot more with the added power. If you turn off traction control not sure what to tell you as I always leave mine on.
      02-04-2023, 09:41 AM   #8
BlueberryPie
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I had the shop change out the diff fluid at around 1200 miles of use. The break in period was doing a bunch of figure 8's and full crank turns, then light to moderate driving until the fluid change.

I was tuned before the LSD. I wouldn't worry about tuning making the car dangerous. You will just have more wheelspin and the traction control will be on a lot more with the added power. If you turn off traction control not sure what to tell you as I always leave mine on.
Thanks for letting me hijack your thread...last post before I leave you alone - if you were starting over on your 240, would you tune first again or install the LSD first? I'm not desperate for more power (though it's always great). Basically, does the LSD transform the car in spirited daily driving scenarios or only when driving at 10/10ths? I live in the mountains and am always on the backroads so that's what I'm looking to enhance.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 08:32 AM   #9
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for letting me hijack your thread...last post before I leave you alone - if you were starting over on your 240, would you tune first again or install the LSD first? I'm not desperate for more power (though it's always great). Basically, does the LSD transform the car in spirited daily driving scenarios or only when driving at 10/10ths? I live in the mountains and am always on the backroads so that's what I'm looking to enhance.
That's a really good question. Installing the LSD wasn't important to me until I tuned the car and realized it really needed one. Then reading up here on the forums you start to realize it's a pretty important upgrade. The LSD is noticeable during daily driving and spirited driving. Biggest things where I notice it: accelerating from a stop, turning onto a highway at a stop sign and having to accelerate in front of traffic approaching, coming out of corners during spirited driving, when trying to slide the car out in a corner LSD allows that vs without the stock traction control engages right away, and the car feels more planted in the rear when accelerating and braking into a corner.

There are lots of guys on the forums that run high HP tunes with the stock open diff, and there are lots of guys who insist on getting an LSD regardless of tune. I think it's just if you see enough value in return with spending the cash. If you are a true driver and like to push your car you will notice having the LSD.