THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Any experience with mambatek and upgrading the stock turbo?

04-28-2022, 10:35 AM   #1
NewWorldOrder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix vert

Any experience with mambatek and upgrading the stock turbo?

I've been looking into upgrading the b58's stock turbo myself as a way to save money, but I'm honestly not very experienced with turbos. I've watched some rebuilds myself, and it doesn't seem to be the most complicated procedure.

The complicated part is the spec numbers for the compressor wheel. There's a few mambatek kits with different numbers, and I'm not really sure what these numbers mean and their benefits to the performance of the car.

I know I have to take the turbo to a machinist to get it fitted for the new compressor wheel. Luckily, my friend's dad owns his own machine shop, so the cost to get it done won't be that much.

Here's the link to the product page. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the topic, and maybe help others in the process.

https://shop.mambatek.com/Turbo-Upgr...t-015-2252.htm

If I do end up going this route, I'll make a post detailing the upgraded rebuild if everything turns out well.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 09:05 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Not familiar with this company, good luck

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 08:19 AM   #3
Es_wetto
Follow my IG! @Es_wetto
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i RWD

Let me know if you go this route! Im interested in doing the same for my n55 turbo
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 07:56 AM   #4
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I've been looking into upgrading the b58's stock turbo myself as a way to save money, but I'm honestly not very experienced with turbos. I've watched some rebuilds myself, and it doesn't seem to be the most complicated procedure.

The complicated part is the spec numbers for the compressor wheel. There's a few mambatek kits with different numbers, and I'm not really sure what these numbers mean and their benefits to the performance of the car.

I know I have to take the turbo to a machinist to get it fitted for the new compressor wheel. Luckily, my friend's dad owns his own machine shop, so the cost to get it done won't be that much.

Here's the link to the product page. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the topic, and maybe help others in the process.

https://shop.mambatek.com/Turbo-Upgr...t-015-2252.htm

If I do end up going this route, I'll make a post detailing the upgraded rebuild if everything turns out well.
I'm wondering if you could achieve you goal via tuning.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 08:52 AM   #5
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Not throwing shade on your machinist - but are they experienced with the high speed balancing that a turbo needs once the wheels are installed? Assembling / fitting the parts together is one thing - but the hi speed balancing is another. Balancing a crankshaft with rods / pistons etc. that is designed to spin maybe to 7000 - 8000 rpm is way different to balancing something tiny spinning at over 20,000 rpm.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0