THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Second amp install location in vert

05-02-2019, 11:14 PM   #1
Sunsetter
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i convertible

Second amp install location in vert

I just swapped out the HK amp in my 2015 M235i convertible with a Match Up 7BMW amp and am pretty happy with it - there is actually stereo separation now, and no more clock radio sensation. I wired up the remote and RCA outputs with an eye towards installing a second amp to power an 8" subwoofer, and now need to figure out where this second amp is going to go. I have been eyeing the space next to the tire inflation kit, but it looks like all that will fit there (maybe) is something like the tiny Kenwood KAC-M3001, and even that will likely not work once there are a bunch of cables going into it.

So, the question is: has anyone removed the right hand side of the trunk trim (ie, the opposite side of where the factory amp is installed) and can speak to how much space is down there? I believe I have elsewhere seen pictures of someone installing a small JL Audio amp in that space in a coupe, but everything tends to be tighter on the convertible. Has anyone with a convertible done this? I could just open it up myself, but it was quite a bit of work to get the left side opened up for the amp replacement (convertible requires the removal of the upper panel and seat fold-down pull as well) and I would rather not deal with that if there is someone who has already explored that area. Thanks in advance for any responses.

-Sunsetter
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:32 AM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Remove the useless flat tire kit (if you have one) and mount the amp near the battery. Lots of room and good air space for cooling. That's where mine is. 3M double sided tape with some adhesive promoter and done. I have a JL 600 there and it's perfectly fine.

Murray at Visual Ice can make you an enclosure that fits into the bump out between the seats, he should still have specs from mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

I installed a JL XD300/1 in that spot in my M2. Like you said, space might me tight in a vert. That storage cubby on the right side should just pull straight up; that's how it comes out in the coupe.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 12:09 AM   #4
Sunsetter
Rep

@BEM-S4: Wow, that is a clean-looking install. I take it you are happy with the sound? I will reach out to Visual Ice (looks like they sell on eBay), but am curious as to what model and size subwoofer you are using since that seems like a pretty small space. Also, is this a sealed box? I was leaning towards ported since the sound will have to get through the seats.

On the amp location - I do have the tire inflation stuff, as I don't have RFT. I seem to get a flat tire nearly once per year, so I want to hold on to that stuff if I can...

-Sunsetter

Last edited by Sunsetter; 05-04-2019 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 12:12 AM   #5
Sunsetter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
I installed a JL XD300/1 in that spot in my M2. Like you said, space might me tight in a vert. That storage cubby on the right side should just pull straight up; that's how it comes out in the coupe.

I think perhaps one of your other posts is what I was referring to in my original. I will check again, but I don't think the right panel in the convertible just lifts out. It looked like it would involve removing several clips and three panels just like the left side. That certainly does look like a lot of empty space in your car, so even if the convertible is a little less it looks like an amp would still fit...maybe I need to bite the bullet and just remove everything again.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 01:30 AM   #6
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Here is an option if you don't mind it on the outside. My amp is a Precision Power i650, and just fits on the left side in front of a fiberglass box I built to hold the sub. This amp is not very high but there was not really any way that was obvious to mount it under the wheel well covers. IIRC there was room just not for the amp I am using. Also there are some adjustment pots on my amp and I wanted to be able to tweak them if needed.

And yes it absolutely is a total PIA to remove all the internal coverings.
Attached Images

05-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetter View Post
On the amp location - I do have the tire inflation stuff, as I don't have RFT. I seem to get a flat tire nearly once per year, so I want to hold on to that stuff if I can...

-Sunsetter
You can keep the tire inflation kit in the car, just move it. I will snap a pic of my amp install for you. I have a sealed enclosure, it fits perfectly into the cubby and extends maybe an inch into the trunk space to gain a little bit of volume. It is MORE than enough with the 8" Focal Performance Sub P 20F. I have that mated to a JL Audio XD600/1v2. I would not do anything bigger or higher power, it's borderline overkill as it is. I have the exact same setup (Bavsound Speakers and Ghosts, Bimmertech Amp, Focal Speaker, JL Amp) in my wagon but the 10" Focal speaker since the only enclosure I could find took a 10". The convertible with the 8" sounds much better and hits much harder. Granted convertible vs wagon acoustics are a factor but still.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here are some pics. JL amp mounted vertically in the trunk to the right of the battery. Tire inflation junk will fit in the small net storage no problem so that's an option. I'd also suggest running a remote for the JL (small silver knob next to USB) and maybe even Bimmertech amp (big one with lights) in your armrest.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 12:30 AM   #9
Sunsetter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Here are some pics. JL amp mounted vertically in the trunk to the right of the battery. Tire inflation junk will fit in the small net storage no problem so that's an option. I'd also suggest running a remote for the JL (small silver knob next to USB) and maybe even Bimmertech amp (big one with lights) in your armrest.
OK, I think you have convinced me to use the space next to the battery - much easier to make adjustments since I am too freaked out by the idea of ripping up the interior to the point necessary to mount the remote in the armrest.

I reached out to the guy who made your enclosure, and he doesn't have the specs anymore since he doesn't have the chat logs. Any chance you have them? Otherwise I guess I can try to draw this thing out...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
OK, I think you have convinced me to use the space next to the battery - much easier to make adjustments since I am too freaked out by the idea of ripping up the interior to the point necessary to mount the remote in the armrest.

I reached out to the guy who made your enclosure, and he doesn't have the specs anymore since he doesn't have the chat logs. Any chance you have them? Otherwise I guess I can try to draw this thing out...
I'll see if I can dig up an email to him with final measurements.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

This is what I sent him for measurements:

Hi, Murray. Take a look at this box, I bought it because it's roughly the size and shape I need although not quite.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

I need the same type of design, but my measurements would be height 10", length 18.5" (vs their 14"), top depth 7", bottom depth 8.75" (vs their 9.75").

NOTE: it's a very tight fit which is what I was going for. Used a rubber mallet to get it into its final place.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
Sunsetter
Rep

Quote:

Hi, Murray. Take a look at this box, I bought it because it's roughly the size and shape I need although not quite.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need the same type of design, but my measurements would be height 10", length 18.5" (vs their 14"), top depth 7", bottom depth 8.75" (vs their 9.75").

NOTE: it's a very tight fit which is what I was going for. Used a rubber mallet to get it into its final place.
Awesome, thanks - you are the MVP of this subforum as far as I am concerned. I didn't think 10" height would actually fit with the convertible top holder extended down, I only seem to have 9.75" of clearance.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #13
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

Awesome, thanks - you are the MVP of this subforum as far as I am concerned. I didn't think 10" height would actually fit with the convertible top holder extended down, I only seem to have 9.75" of clearance.
Ok just a disclaimer everything I've told you is based on a 2016 M235 xDrive. If you don't have exactly that, have an LCI car or whatever else I cannot 100% promise you that my measurements will work for you. I have no reason to think they won't, but I also have never measured anything but my car.

Definitely double check my measurements but if you want to be super safe get that crappy box on Amazon to start with. It's $25 or so and I found it a lot easier to put that in and measure from that versus trying to guess and measure an oddly shaped hole.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 06:48 PM   #14
Sunsetter
Rep

Quote:
Ok just a disclaimer everything I've told you is based on a 2016 M235 xDrive. If you don't have exactly that, have an LCI car or whatever else I cannot 100% promise you that my measurements will work for you. I have no reason to think they won't, but I also have never measured anything but my car.

Definitely double check my measurements but if you want to be super safe get that crappy box on Amazon to start with. It's $25 or so and I found it a lot easier to put that in and measure from that versus trying to guess and measure an oddly shaped hole.
I have a 2015 M235i RWD. Should be the same. I just re-measured, this time after dropping the seatback down rather than reaching in from the back and it does look like 10" will juuuuust fit. However, the 18.5" width seems a half inch too much, which is odd. . It looks like the sub manufacturer in my case recommends something a bit smaller anyway, so I can bring the width in and height down a bit - I am OK if it doesn't fit completely snug, I can velcro it down.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:27 AM   #15
Sunsetter
Rep

So after all this, once I realized 10" high would fit, I ended up getting a prefab box designed for the Alpine Type-R sub I have. Fits right in there and takes up very little room. Did everything this weekend, and after a couple false starts everything is working. In fact, it may be working a little too well, as my trunk lid sounds like it is going to fly off when you are standing outside the car. BEM-S4] and @[M235SDCA, have you done anything to dampen all of this vibration in the trunk? I have quite a bit of Dynamat-type material lying around, but since the inside of the trunk lid is carpeted I am not sure that applying that to the carpet is really going to do much.

My other car is a 1968 Mustang, which is all steel - I have a 12" sub in a massive ported box driven by 800W RMS, and nothing vibrates at all
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

No problems here, although my speaker is smaller and the box is wedged in so tightly It cannot rattle at all. I also have the remote in the armrest so I can turn it down if needed when bass heavy songs come on.

Honestly not being a pro if it were me I'd swing by a local audio shop and ask them what they'd recommend. They should be able to tell you in 5 minutes what they think the problem is and how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #17
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Quote:
So after all this, once I realized 10" high would fit, I ended up getting a prefab box designed for the Alpine Type-R sub I have. Fits right in there and takes up very little room. Did everything this weekend, and after a couple false starts everything is working. In fact, it may be working a little too well, as my trunk lid sounds like it is going to fly off when you are standing outside the car. BEM-S4] and @[M235SDCA, have you done anything to dampen all of this vibration in the trunk? I have quite a bit of Dynamat-type material lying around, but since the inside of the trunk lid is carpeted I am not sure that applying that to the carpet is really going to do much.

My other car is a 1968 Mustang, which is all steel - I have a 12" sub in a massive ported box driven by 800W RMS, and nothing vibrates at all
OK, so I tried listening from the back of the car when the sub was really working. It does seem like the trunk lid vibrates and it is a bit noisy so I have the same issue. Some of it on my car seemed like the license plate holder. The other not sure - pressing on the bottom of the trunk lid seemed to quiet it down. Never noticed this from inside but will pay more attention tonight. So to answer your question, haven't done anything yet but might have to figure out what is going on.
      05-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #18
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

I know some guys with coupes were plugging the holes in the sheet metal with those swim noodle things kids play with, cutting discs of the foam and shoving them in.
Appreciate 0