THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery M235i - Miles vs options?

06-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
Mr Bloopy
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW Gti mk7

M235i - Miles vs options?

Was looking at buying a used M235i/M240i and was curious what others thoughts are regarding the trade off between miles and options included. For example I’ve found a ‘14 m235i manual with the technology package and H/K sound system, m performance exhaust and has 43,XXX miles for $25k. Also found a ‘15 M235i with base options but only 22,XXX miles for $30k. Both have clean records and so I was curious how much the mileage mattered. For reference I’m not the best when it comes to car knowledge (have replaced a mirror, could change oil and other minor things, but would be clueless when it came to actual engine problems). Any advice would be very much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 02:21 AM   #2
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bloopy View Post
Was looking at buying a used M235i/M240i and was curious what others thoughts are regarding the trade off between miles and options included. For example I’ve found a ‘14 m235i manual with the technology package and H/K sound system, m performance exhaust and has 43,XXX miles for $25k. Also found a ‘15 M235i with base options but only 22,XXX miles for $30k. Both have clean records and so I was curious how much the mileage mattered. For reference I’m not the best when it comes to car knowledge (have replaced a mirror, could change oil and other minor things, but would be clueless when it came to actual engine problems). Any advice would be very much appreciated
Neither Audis nor BMWs are cars that should be owned without manufacturer's warranty. If I were you, I would not be looking at either of these cars... and if you must buy the 2-series, look for one which covers you with warranty for the time/mileage you intend to put on it (but that puts you in the 36k-45k range).

Take a look at this one here: https://www.modernmotorcars.com/used...2L3C31HV667422

I was considering that before I found a brand new 2018, loaded for $42k. When I started negotiating with them, they were advertising a $37.5k sticker price... brought them down to $36k, but then stopped bothering with it. I honestly think it is one of the cleanest M240xi on the market right now; only 10k original owner miles, not an event car or exec demo. Sweet deal. Talk to Jennifer at Modern Motor Cars. She is great!

Anyway, I wouldn't touch a car with 40k miles and a performance exhaust on it. Call it irrational, but I am sure that some of those miles were not kind.

TL;DR: warranty is important for these German cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
Mr Bloopy
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW Gti mk7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Neither Audis nor BMWs are cars that should be owned without manufacturer's warranty. If I were you, I would not be looking at either of these cars... and if you must buy the 2-series, look for one which covers you with warranty for the time/mileage you intend to put on it (but that puts you in the 36k-45k range).

Take a look at this one here: https://www.modernmotorcars.com/used...2L3C31HV667422

I was considering that before I found a brand new 2018, loaded for $42k. When I started negotiating with them, they were advertising a $37.5k sticker price... brought them down to $36k, but then stopped bothering with it. I honestly think it is one of the cleanest M240xi on the market right now; only 10k original owner miles, not an event car or exec demo. Sweet deal. Talk to Jennifer at Modern Motor Cars. She is great!

Anyway, I wouldn't touch a car with 40k miles and a performance exhaust on it. Call it irrational, but I am sure that some of those miles were not kind.

TL;DR: warranty is important for these German cars.
Much appreciated, this is the type of info I was hoping for. Is this due to cost of maintenance or how often they need work down on them? I’ve heard 2 series are more reliable (how much more, I don’t know).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 02:34 AM   #4
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bloopy View Post
Much appreciated, this is the type of info I was hoping for. Is this due to cost of maintenance or how often they need work down on them? I’ve heard 2 series are more reliable (how much more, I don’t know).
Promise I am not trying to be cheeky but it is neither maintenance nor how often work is done on them but... misfortune. With German cars you are likely to run into more mechanical misfortune than you are used to.

With that said, the current gen 2-series (the ones called M240i) run the near bullet proof powertrain combo of ZF8 transmission with the excellent BY engine. If the B58 is good enough to be put into the new Supra... Then I trust it

But anyway, 2 series is awesome and its reliability record is solid as well.
Appreciate 0