THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Sunroof not deleted, what to do?

05-01-2019, 09:22 PM   #1
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Sunroof not deleted, what to do?

I have ordered numerous BMWs over the years and have always deleted the sunroof. I hate sunroofs, have never used them and would never use them. When reselling BMWs, I have found some people really want MT and/or sunroof deletions. It's never been a resale issue.

My latest order was a 2020 M240i (with sunroof deletion) to replace my 2016 M235i (which had no sunroof).

The car took a long time to get through the port and VPC compared to any previous orders. It arrived today as I was about to fly out on a business trip. The dealership did a great job scrambling to get the car ready so I could pick it up before I left. I had already sold the M235i, so was without a DD. They pulled the car up and I jumped into it so I could make it home to get my ride to the airport.

When I got home, I looked up and realized they had installed a sunroof. F___! The order and BMW MyGarage shows sunroof deletion.

Suggestions on how to proceed? I am unhappy, but not sure I want to return the car which was clearly ordered correctly except for the sunroof deletion.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Tslbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 ZB MT

Now that just sucks! That's a pretty sizeable miss by BMW and it would certainly tick me off as well. Question...is it a head space issue? Or is it a weight (meaning unwanted mass) issue? If it's a head clearance issue, than that's a really big mistake and I think I'd get them to order a new one and wait it out again --- and have them provide you a loaner for the next 10 weeks. But, if you can live with it, then I'd ask for some compensation; maybe a free service or accessory.

Good luck!

Oh....and I know we'd all love to see pics of your new ride!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Lynx_Rufus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Ugh! That's 3 order misses for forum members in the last few months! Kokanator's F23 arrived with an auto, vs. the 6 sp he ordered, MostlyHarmless received the wrong wheels and tires, and now your sunroof. If you project that out to the number folks who aren't on the forum, and then to people who aren't buying 2 series, how many escapes are happening?

The first two made me very nervous, so I went over my F22 with a fine tooth comb, and fortunately, it was as ordered.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
Tslbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 ZB MT

Yep, I'm officially worried. After seeing this post today, I went back on to MyGarage (where my m240 has been sitting at the port for over a week ) and under "added options," my black kidney grilles have fallen off the list. They were on there since the car went into production on the site, and they were listed on my order, but for some reason fell off today. :

Hopefully this means nothing and all is good - but since reading this and those two other examples that Lynx just posted, I'm not so confident...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
Xi-Xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post
I have ordered numerous BMWs over the years and have always deleted the sunroof. I hate sunroofs, have never used them and would never use them. When reselling BMWs, I have found some people really want MT and/or sunroof deletions. It's never been a resale issue.

My latest order was a 2020 M240i (with sunroof deletion) to replace my 2016 M235i (which had no sunroof).

The car took a long time to get through the port and VPC compared to any previous orders. It arrived today as I was about to fly out on a business trip. The dealership did a great job scrambling to get the car ready so I could pick it up before I left. I had already sold the M235i, so was without a DD. They pulled the car up and I jumped into it so I could make it home to get my ride to the airport.

When I got home, I looked up and realized they had installed a sunroof. F___! The order and BMW MyGarage shows sunroof deletion.

Suggestions on how to proceed? I am unhappy, but not sure I want to return the car which was clearly ordered correctly except for the sunroof deletion.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
I have no idea how this will play out, and I absolutely feel your pain. On my next order I'll be doing the sunroof delete as well. But ideally, it probably would've been a lot easier if you hadn't accepted the car. I think that could be a major complication. I think if the dealership wants to play hardball, they can refuse a request for a new order. Really, as far as they might be concerned, your present car is now a used car. Could they even sell it as new now? I don't know. Certainly, if they want to show a lot of good will, then you'll be fine. But otherwise, you could be screwed. I'll be curious to hear what they tell you.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

As for me, I’d take the car. No doubt u need to do what’s right for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 07:46 PM   #7
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslbmw View Post
Yep, I'm officially worried. After seeing this post today, I went back on to MyGarage (where my m240 has been sitting at the port for over a week ) and under "added options," my black kidney grilles have fallen off the list. They were on there since the car went into production on the site, and they were listed on my order, but for some reason fell off today. :

Hopefully this means nothing and all is good - but since reading this and those two other examples that Lynx just posted, I'm not so confident...
The kidney grills would be an easy fix if they screw that up. Hopefully, they don't.

I may do a separate post on the time frame. My car was manufactured quickly and got to the US west coast port promptly, but then sat for an extended time before getting on a truck. I was able to get onto United (BMW's transport company in the US) website and see everything coming from the California port to the dealership. Multiple cars, including unsold cars, were shipped and arrived well ahead of mine.

I realize that the dealer doesn't control BMW's VPC, but shipping unsold cars ahead of sold cars makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #8
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslbmw View Post

The kidney grills would be an easy fix if they screw that up. Hopefully, they don't.

I may do a separate post on the time frame. My car was manufactured quickly and got to the US west coast port promptly, but then sat for an extended time before getting on a truck. I was able to get onto United (BMW's transport company in the US) website and see everything coming from the California port to the dealership. Multiple cars, including unsold cars, were shipped and arrived well ahead of mine.

I realize that the dealer doesn't control BMW's VPC, but shipping unsold cars ahead of sold cars makes no sense.
There have been a few recent posts for special orders that have been delivered out of spec. I believe in each case the dealer and BMW have done everything they can to make it right. I'm on my 3rd special order (19' M240i) and it was delivered as ordered in February.

Certainly let both the dealer and BMW NA know about the error then decide if it's truly a deal breaker for you. I personally don't mind a sunroof especially with an all black interior but individual tastes vary. If I received my car and it was out of spec I would ask them to order me a new one unless there was some considerable concessions made. Good luck and keep us posted.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
vandridine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 xDrive

A friend of mine had this problem when he ordered his 2015 m235. BMW said they couldn't do anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #10
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

This happened to me when I ordered my 2018 M240i. I ordered the moonroof delete but the car was delivered with the moonroof. The sales manger immediately refunded me $500 plus about $100 in gear. He then called BMW NA and raised holy heck. The moonroof interferes with my helmet when I track the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 06:05 PM   #11
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
There have been a few recent posts for special orders that have been delivered out of spec. I believe in each case the dealer and BMW have done everything they can to make it right. I'm on my 3rd special order (19' M240i) and it was delivered as ordered in February.

Certainly let both the dealer and BMW NA know about the error then decide if it's truly a deal breaker for you. I personally don't mind a sunroof especially with an all black interior but individual tastes vary. If I received my car and it was out of spec I would ask them to order me a new one unless there was some considerable concessions made. Good luck and keep us posted.
I will keep everyone posted. Dealer is working with BMW NA, but I will probably let them know separately just in case.

Curious about your black interior comment?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #12
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

If you can live with the sunroof, the error should be worth some goodwill gesture. I got a $1000 out of BMW Canada for a much less serious mistake (used for winter rubber).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #13
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post

I will keep everyone posted. Dealer is working with BMW NA, but I will probably let them know separately just in case.

Curious about your black interior comment?
My last M235i had the terra leather which lightens up the cockipit a bit and makes it feel a little more airy. My new M240i is AW over black and the interior tends to feel a little cavish. It's nice to have the sunroof, if even just to slide the shade back and let some light in.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #14
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Just for others who may come across this, often times one's options and leverage are improved by refusing delivery in the first place. Realize OP didn't notice until he got home, also realize waiting another 3 months for a car sucks, but it hurts your position if you do indeed take the car home.

Best of luck to OP, again just some advice on the off chance it helps others.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Just for others who may come across this, often times one's options and leverage are improved by refusing delivery in the first place. Realize OP didn't notice until he got home, also realize waiting another 3 months for a car sucks, but it hurts your position if you do indeed take the car home.

Best of luck to OP, again just some advice on the off chance it helps others.
Good advice and thanks. The incoming car was delayed at the port and I had already sold my daily driver.

The car finally arrived at the dealer on a day when I was scheduled to fly out on a business trip. There was a small window to pick the car up before I needed to leave for the airport. The dealer scrambled to get the car ready, but were still prepping while I worked with the business office on the paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #16
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Window Sticker is right

Got back from my business trip (see post just above) and took a look at the window sticker. While the car was not manufactured to order, the window sticker properly reflects everything I chose--including the moonroof deletion.

Sales manager at the dealer says this is the first time in > 20 years that he's encountered an error in the order.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #17
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Before going too crazy, do you need the sunroof delete? By that I mean are you tall and cannot track your car while wearing a helmet with the roof? Are you going to be unable to do anything you wanted to do with the car because of the roof?

I'm short and would only care about a sunroof delete because 1. I wouldn't want to pay extra for a roof like in some cars or 2. I plan to keep the car forever and want fewer things to break or leak (ask me about my X5 roof).

If #2 is your motivation for no roof perhaps path of least resistance is dealer works with BMWNA to get the car extended platinum warranty or whatever they are calling it these days so the roof is covered for as long as possible. Keep the roof but don't have to worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #18
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Before going too crazy, do you need the sunroof delete? By that I mean are you tall and cannot track your car while wearing a helmet with the roof? Are you going to be unable to do anything you wanted to do with the car because of the roof?

I'm short and would only care about a sunroof delete because 1. I wouldn't want to pay extra for a roof like in some cars or 2. I plan to keep the car forever and want fewer things to break or leak (ask me about my X5 roof).

If #2 is your motivation for no roof perhaps path of least resistance is dealer works with BMWNA to get the car extended platinum warranty or whatever they are calling it these days so the roof is covered for as long as possible. Keep the roof but don't have to worry about it.
Motivation is mostly #2 as I have had sunroof problems on all of previous BMWs with sunroofs. Given that I have never used the sunroof or even opened up the shade on the sunroofs I've had, having something I never wanted that will eventually leak is not appealing.

While I think the weight and structure benefits of no sunroof may be exaggerated, the sunroof certainly does make the car either lighter or stronger than the same car without.

The platinum warranty is an interesting idea. Thanks for your posts on this.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #19
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Motivation is mostly #2 as I have had sunroof problems on all of previous BMWs with sunroofs. Given that I have never used the sunroof or even opened up the shade on the sunroofs I've had, having something I never wanted that will eventually leak is not appealing.

While I think the weight and structure benefits of no sunroof may be exaggerated, the sunroof certainly does make the car either lighter or stronger than the same car without.

Should have said: the sunroof certainly does NOT make the car either lighter or stronger than the same car without.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Should have said: the sunroof certainly does [COLOR="Red"]NOT[/COLOR] make the car either lighter or stronger than the same car without.
Understood. Sucks and definitely a weird problem to have. I'd be sure to get an updated window sticker / build sheet from BMW if you end up keeping the car. When it's time to sell it I can imagine it could be a little off putting to buyers if they see build with no sunroof then have a sunroof car. Multiply your worries x000s if they assume it wasn't factory installed.

If you can get the full warranty - which seems like the only option for you to be comfortable and keep the car vs bmw taking back a used car and building you a new one - hell it might even work out to your favor if your diff blows up or something else crazy.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #21
CAMOETO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

If you can order a new car to replace this, do it. Most of the cars that I had with moonroofs had some kind of issues. Unfixable rattles/squeaks, leaks, drain issues, broken motors, you name it. To add to the downsides, the m240i moonroof and associated components add about 70-80 pounds of weight, take away headroom, and make the car less rigid and structurally sound.

Gone, but not forgotten: 2017 m240i, 2016 GTI PP, 2013 Camaro SS, 2009 G8 GXP, 2008 G8 GT, 2007 335i, 2003 530i
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #22
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
A solution to this issue could be to install the RKP carbon fiber roof. I know it works for the M2 and could be worth looking into for the 2 series. However, the part is expensive and the labor won't be cheap either. IIRC, someone reported it was about 3k total.