THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Dust dust everywhere...

06-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
bimbimsalabim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 4 series

Dust dust everywhere...

I just picked up a new 230xi with black interior trim and I swear I see more dust in this car than my '15 430xi. It's like it manifests from no where!

What do you guys do to combat dust? I used to use the little California brush in my old car but it seems to make the problem worse in this new one, probably because it's all black plastic trim instead of the wood-esque trim I had before. It gets annoying AF 5 minutes after using a MF and interior spray that it's gone and then comes back. Granted I drive with my windows down but still just curious if there's some anti static magic spray out there.

On another note, it looks like my instrument cluster has some scratches on it, probably due to the people prepping the car with dirty clothes. Would a plastic polish work on cleaning them out?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbimsalabim View Post
I just picked up a new 230xi with black interior trim and I swear I see more dust in this car than my '15 430xi. It's like it manifests from no where!

What do you guys do to combat dust? I used to use the little California brush in my old car but it seems to make the problem worse in this new one, probably because it's all black plastic trim instead of the wood-esque trim I had before. It gets annoying AF 5 minutes after using a MF and interior spray that it's gone and then comes back. Granted I drive with my windows down but still just curious if there's some anti static magic spray out there.

On another note, it looks like my instrument cluster has some scratches on it, probably due to the people prepping the car with dirty clothes. Would a plastic polish work on cleaning them out?

Thanks!
Best way to get rid of dust is to use an air compressor with air fitting. If you don't have a compressor most shop vacs can be used to blow air by removing the hose and putting it the exhaust port. Open both doors and start from either side blowing the dust out from the dash, center console, vents etc.

After you're done go over the interior with a low gloss cleaner like Cockpit Premium. Your interior will look mint. I blow my interior out once a week with a full detail every couple of weeks.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 07:35 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Hopeless if you drive w/ windows down. I've started keeping a microfiber in that little side bin, and use it when I'm stuck sitting and noticing the dust (got the idea from another poster, but DK who after all this time). It also keeps the other little things in that bin from rattling and driving me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #4
bimbimsalabim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 4 series

I've already mildly scratched this piano black trim and I've had the car for a week! They say not to use a MF dry as it will just push the dust around. Believe it or not the Swiffer with a very gentle touch (almost not touching) works way better than the interior california duster. I don't *think* it's leaving any residue or scratching and it seems to also help with anti static properties and the dust doesn't come back as fast.

Ultimately I think I'm going to wrap both pieces in carbon fiber not because I like carbon fiber but because I don't want to scratch the damn trim every time I get in the car lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
klarinet
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228ix base trim

A terry cloth dampened with Endust Anti-Static works great.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
I've already mildly scratched this piano black trim and I've had the car for a week! They say not to use a MF dry as it will just push the dust around. Believe it or not the Swiffer with a very gentle touch (almost not touching) works way better than the interior california duster. I don't *think* it's leaving any residue or scratching and it seems to also help with anti static properties and the dust doesn't come back as fast.

Ultimately I think I'm going to wrap both pieces in carbon fiber not because I like carbon fiber but because I don't want to scratch the damn trim every time I get in the car lol.
Use Meguiars Ultimate quick wax on the piano black trim. I use it on my wife's X1 and after 18k not a single scratch. Yes I'm saying use spray wax on your interior trim. Try it trust me.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Quote:

Use Meguiars Ultimate quick wax on the piano black trim. I use it on my wife's X1 and after 18k not a single scratch. Yes I'm saying use spray wax on your interior trim. Try it trust me.
This is the preferred method for piano black unless you plan on wrapping.
Appreciate 0