THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Brake service indicator? What dies this mean.

06-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

Brake service indicator? What dies this mean.

While at an HPDE the front brake service indicator went from 28k to 29k to 26k to service required in 1600 miles. I started the day with 5-6mm of pads on the front. By my fourth session I had a requires service indicator.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Last two times I attended a HPDE the mileage indicator only went down 10k miles.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

2015 228i with THP.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
zearg319
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228ix M Sport EBII

Are you running stock pads and how much pads do you have left after your event? The brake service indicator is just an estimate until you trip the brake sensor which you might have done if it's saying that service is required. I would suggest that you check you pads and replace them if you are at or below 3mm.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zearg319 View Post
Are you running stock pads and how much pads do you have left after your event? The brake service indicator is just an estimate until you trip the brake sensor which you might have done if it's saying that service is required. I would suggest that you check you pads and replace them if you are at or below 3mm.
Yes, I definitely tripped the sensor at about 3mm. Today after 2 sessions I went from 1900 miles to 900 miles. The indicator is now yellow which I trust means pad and rotor replacement at 47.5 months of the 48 month maintenance service 😀
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

There are additional levels to this as you get right down to the rivets. Last year I burned thru my track pads, and it will eventually give you s/t in Red like "Serious brake problems, drive sparingly, service within 5 miles" - I think this is when the sensor actually touches the rotor. This happened on Saturday, and I then spent Sunday burning down what remained of my factory pads. I was picturing the dealer downloading my data and freaking that I'd triggered ABS a few hundred times since I got that warning, but they just replaced e/t without questions under the warranty plan.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
There are additional levels to this as you get right down to the rivets. Last year I burned thru my track pads, and it will eventually give you s/t in Red like "Serious brake problems, drive sparingly, service within 5 miles" - I think this is when the sensor actually touches the rotor. This happened on Saturday, and I then spent Sunday burning down what remained of my factory pads. I was picturing the dealer downloading my data and freaking that I'd triggered ABS a few hundred times since I got that warning, but they just replaced e/t without questions under the warranty plan.
Thank you. My car sent the status message to my local dealer and I am scheduling the service in a few weeks. It is good to know that there is a safe zone I have not struck.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
it goes yellow when you trigger the sensor then you have 1000 miles and it will go red and tell you the world is ending
Appreciate 0