THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 6MT M235i - How to shift smoothly?

06-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #45
Silver6spd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

It just takes time and practice to match the clutch engagement point with varying amounts of gas to match your acceleration needs which may be anything from jumping out into traffic or just sneaking into 4th gear to match speed with everybody else. There are even no gas gear changes depending on how much forward momentum you are managing.

I suggest getting an ultimate clutch pedal installed which makes the engagement point manageable with just a slight heel pivot instead of having to lift your foot slightly to get there.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #46
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

OP have you installed the $10 BMS clutch stop? If not, that should be your first step. Makes a world of difference for smooth shifting in this car.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      06-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #47
VasWander
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i 6MT Perf Edition

Riding a motorcycle is also very helpful in not only mastering your clutch skills, but also learning to how to slow into your corners and then accelerate thru them maximizing your traction. My new M240i is the first car I've owned with rev matching hated it at first but now really enjoying the added experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:17 AM   #48
Dannyxz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
OP have you installed the $10 BMS clutch stop? If not, that should be your first step. Makes a world of difference for smooth shifting in this car.
I hear that it’s not the best for your synchros. Any confirmed draw-backs to using the clutch stop?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #49
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyxz View Post
I hear that it’s not the best for your synchros. Any confirmed draw-backs to using the clutch stop?
This is the first I'm hearing of this. I also have a lease so I don't care about long-term effects on the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #50
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyxz View Post
So as long as the stop doesn't impact with the clutch fully releasing, it shouldn't be an issue.

You can make a clutch stop yourself with a piece of 3M double-sided tape and a rubber furniture/lamp pad you can buy at Home Depot for $1.

If you really want to improve the engagement and feel, the adjustable Ultimate Clutch Pedal is a must.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1558148
      06-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #51
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
I also have a lease so I don't care about long-term effects on the transmission.
Thanks for reminding us to avoid used cars at all costs!
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #52
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Thanks for reminding us to avoid used cars at all costs!
Yeah I knew someone would knock that. But hey, an informed user buyer should know this. I’m in the market for a used 1st-gen X3 right now and I’m favoring carfax reports that show the first owner was not a lease for this exact reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #53
Britbimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i Esterol Blue

As a Brit, I was brought up on manual boxes, and I have only ever owned manual cars. I have a few friends who have switched over from automatics, and sometimes I just wince at the gear changes they are making. seems they still haven't learned, but I think it's possible to learn, but you have to treat it like learning to drive all over...

MY advice - I just think you may be making it too complicated....

My dad was a great driver and taught me 35 years ago. One of the things I actively did was to LISTEN to the sound of the engine, vs the sound it made when he changed. See if you can sit in with someone, who knows what they are doing, turn off the radio and close your eyes, and just listen to the noise. Try to match it. I think that automatic gear changes make changes at different revs from well driven manual boxes, so you need to tune in to the sound of a well driven manual, and remove the soundtrack you have been used to of automatic changes...

Second, maybe slow down a bit for now MPH wise, to give yourself more time. YOu have added a complicated muscle memory task to what you have to think about, and if you are panicking about what happens next, it all gets out of whack, so slow down by 10-15 MPH and give yourselves room to think.

Third, I would personally slow down a little on the change itself , kind of like the SAS storming a building - fast is slow, quick is fast.... trying to go fast is not as good as trying to be smooth....

Fourth, you May be bogging down by changing too early, the other reason could be that you are slipping the clutch and not getting engagement.... try and feel the bite point and once you hit it, let go the clutch smoothly but quickly.... don't worry - this will come with practice...

Fifth, practice on an empty stretch of road.... you WILL get this - it's just practice and feel, like hitting a golf ball.... and just like hitting a golf ball, if you think of the components of the swing you won't hit as well, as if you just get the feel and let your subconscious just do it... practice make perfect... !
Appreciate 0