THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Gear Shifter - Am I in Park?

06-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
ZGadson
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Gear Shifter - Am I in Park?

New to BMW, and more specifically, new to cars with electronic shifters like the one in my 2016 228i. I'm becoming increasingly worried that one day I'll go to park and it won't actually be in park and I won't notice until I roll into a curb or another car. One tiny green light does nothing to get your attention when there's always a green light on the shifter.

I don't know how BimmerCode works or if they can create codes to alter vehicle functions, but a chime to confirm the shifter is actually in Park would be a genius idea for idiots like me.

Thoughts? 2 cents? Anyone ever rolled into something thinking they were in Park? I've searched the forums but can't find anything on this, but these shifters have been around for quite a while, so I know I can't be the only one whose had this thought.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
If you open your door while in gear it will throw a bunch of warnings on both the cluster and CID with chimes. I’ve never had any issue related to this, never heard of anyone who had issues...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:04 AM   #3
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xdrive

I have 2016 228. If you are not in park, and you turn the engine off, it will automatically throw it into park.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjnj View Post
I have 2016 228. If you are not in park, and you turn the engine off, it will automatically throw it into park.
Unless you're in neutral. But then it will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
Xi-Xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGadson View Post
New to BMW, and more specifically, new to cars with electronic shifters like the one in my 2016 228i. I'm becoming increasingly worried that one day I'll go to park and it won't actually be in park and I won't notice until I roll into a curb or another car. One tiny green light does nothing to get your attention when there's always a green light on the shifter.

I don't know how BimmerCode works or if they can create codes to alter vehicle functions, but a chime to confirm the shifter is actually in Park would be a genius idea for idiots like me.

Thoughts? 2 cents? Anyone ever rolled into something thinking they were in Park? I've searched the forums but can't find anything on this, but these shifters have been around for quite a while, so I know I can't be the only one whose had this thought.
There's a very noticeable "P" or "D" or "R" (or other appropriate designations depending upon the gear/mode selection) that's glaringly obvious in the lower center of the instrument cluster. What else do you need?
Appreciate 0