THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes What do you do with sensor when running track pads?

06-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

What do you do with sensor when running track pads?

I tried real track pads for the first time, and ran into an issue with the brake wear sensor. Like many track pads, the cutout for the sensor is not fully formed and the sensor won't fit. Totally expected. So, like many threads in this forum suggested, I just used a few tie-wraps to secure the sensor back on itself.

The problem is that when I went to put the sensor back on the street pads, it wouldn't stay in place. Turns out there is a little spring clip in the groove on the sensor, and mine is no longer there. It fell out somewhere.

Not a big deal to replace the sensor. But, I'm curious how other people handle this. If you just tie up the sensor, are you losing the clip? Or was I just 'lucky'? Do you wrap the head of the sensor in tape to keep the clip from falling out?

Or, are you completely removing the sensor? That seemed like more effort than it was worth. Plus, then I would have an open electrical socket connection that could be contaminated. I also want to avoid constantly opening the little plastic cover over the connectors and having that wear and break. (I suppose I now have a bad sensor I could cut the cable off and use that in the connector socket.)

Or, is there some other solution I'm not seeing?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I don't run track pads, but my non OEM pads needed me to tap in the sensor with a hammer. It was too difficult to do by just pushing it in with my fingers, maybe give that a go next time? If that doesn't work, I would just zip tie the sensor to itself AFTER removing the little metal clip which I would keep somewhere safe for later installation.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
I tried real track pads for the first time, and ran into an issue with the brake wear sensor. Like many track pads, the cutout for the sensor is not fully formed and the sensor won't fit. Totally expected. So, like many threads in this forum suggested, I just used a few tie-wraps to secure the sensor back on itself.

The problem is that when I went to put the sensor back on the street pads, it wouldn't stay in place. Turns out there is a little spring clip in the groove on the sensor, and mine is no longer there. It fell out somewhere.

Not a big deal to replace the sensor. But, I'm curious how other people handle this. If you just tie up the sensor, are you losing the clip? Or was I just 'lucky'? Do you wrap the head of the sensor in tape to keep the clip from falling out?

Or, are you completely removing the sensor? That seemed like more effort than it was worth. Plus, then I would have an open electrical socket connection that could be contaminated. I also want to avoid constantly opening the little plastic cover over the connectors and having that wear and break. (I suppose I now have a bad sensor I could cut the cable off and use that in the connector socket.)

Or, is there some other solution I'm not seeing?
You can put some tape around the sensor where the clip is... or just remove the sensor altogether...
Appreciate 0