THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Eton B100XN Coax Rear Replacement Speakers

05-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Eton B100XN Coax Rear Replacement Speakers

got these in today from Germany, shipping was about 3 business days. Impressive.

Ordered the B100W component set as well, but since my tweeter sails have not arrived yet, I couldnt quite get into that project.

I went to replace the rears, having only the hifi set..I was expected better "sound quality" but was NOT expecting a boost in volume.

Also to clarify, I did not remove the center channel either.

The B100XN set has 2 of the BMW Oem plugs on each speaker, assuming its setup to daisy chain another one to.

mounting pattern fits exactly, and cable plugs in as oem, when you can get it out of the original speaker.

I broke the first blue plug inside of the oem speaker trying to remove it.

Had to test the speaker and cable for polarity after. Easy to do with the battery test on the speaker, as Eton does not publish polarity anywhere either..

Once I got that sorted out, with the help of this test:
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

I soldered the wires onto the eton speaker contacts. Was a little worried about the two plugs, as you can only see 1 wire going into each side, but figured it would work out, as I tested it before soldering, by hooking up gator clips to each contact, with the wires clipped on.

first impression: blown away...

I was truly expecting to need to replace the amp..I dont think I will need to.

I have not experienced the overall volume loss other have described (this may be due to not removing the center channel)..

However, I can say that previous I listened to music at 75%-80% volume (through iphone usb) and calls were right at about max volume.

I can now listen to music at 50-60% volume, and turning the speakers up to max is no longer necessary, nor is it comfortable due to how loud the new speakers are.

I was able to adjust the balance back to center, same with the fader.. bass is up about 3-4 clicks for hip hop and I get a true LOUD bass with it now. Before I had bass maxed out just to get anything low end.

I cant wait to get the front set installed, but I am truly blown away by the sound quality and more importantly volume increase of these. I wish I measured DBs prior to installing, to check.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
pbb911
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240ix

Very cool. Did you install them with or without the Eton crossovers? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:48 AM   #3
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

I only installed rears so far, which includes the tweeter in the driver center (coax units) so no cross-overs there.

front door components will be next once I get the door sails/tweeter mounts.

I'll be using the included cable crossovers for that (which sound like they're actually high pass filters).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #4
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Black on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
got these in today from Germany, shipping was about 3 business days. Impressive.

Ordered the B100W component set as well, but since my tweeter sails have not arrived yet, I couldnt quite get into that project.

I went to replace the rears, having only the hifi set..I was expected better "sound quality" but was NOT expecting a boost in volume.

The B100XN set has 2 of the BMW Oem plugs on each speaker, assuming its setup to daisy chain another one to.

mounting pattern fits exactly, and cable plugs in as oem, when you can get it out of the original speaker.

Had to test the speaker and cable for polarity after. Easy to do with the battery test on the speaker, as Eton does not publish polarity anywhere either..

I soldered the wires onto the eton speaker contacts. Was a little worried about the two plugs, as you can only see 1 wire going into each side, but figured it would work out, as I tested it before soldering, by hooking up gator clips to each contact, with the wires clipped on.

I have not experienced the overall volume loss other have described (this may be due to not removing the center channel)..

However, I can say that previous I listened to music at 75%-80% volume (through iphone usb) and calls were right at about max volume.

I can now listen to music at 50-60% volume, and turning the speakers up to max is no longer necessary, nor is it comfortable due to how loud the new speakers are.

I was able to adjust the balance back to center, same with the fader.. bass is up about 3-4 clicks for hip hop and I get a true LOUD bass with it now. Before I had bass maxed out just to get anything low end.

I cant wait to get the front set installed, but I am truly blown away by the sound quality and more importantly volume increase of these. I wish I measured DBs prior to installing, to check.

Thanks for the report. I decided to order the fronts like you did and waiting to hear what you think with the rears? Great to know they more efficient and sound great. Looking forward to your final review!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:47 AM   #5
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekler View Post
Thanks for the report. I decided to order the fronts like you did and waiting to hear what you think with the rears? Great to know they more efficient and sound great. Looking forward to your final review!
Just to clarify, I ordered both front and rears.

I only installed rears so far because Im still waiting on the front tweeter mounts
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #6
drodrig2
Rep
Drives: m235i

Where did you buy the speakers at?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #7
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just to clarify, I ordered both front and rears.

I only installed rears so far because Im still waiting on the front tweeter mounts

I also ordered the fronts before I saw your post. Waiting for them. After I saw your post, I ordered the rears....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Did the fronts today, including the tweeters.

I ordered the euro tweeter sail (Alpine version), without realizing it doesnt come with the badges. I saw them on amazon for about $15 shipped, we'll see if I end up getting them.

However, the pair was $75 shipped, as opposed to the $120 or so I see everything else for HK US equivalent tweeter sails.

Fit perfectly fine. I was shocked how easy the overall install was, broke zero door clips. I had ordered spares in advance of the project, so I have a box of new spare door clips sitting here if anyone needs them..

The passenger side door was harder than the drivers side. I couldnt get the last wire plug out (I believe its the one that handles window controls)..so I sat the door panel on its side and finished the install.

Only damage done was the old trim in the tweeter area that came out. I was impatient and twisted and broke those clips. Oh well, since that part was being replaced, I did not care.

volume boost after adding the front door speaker/tweeter combo is probably another 30% if not more..totally worth it.

The set installs easy, but the tweeter sail is a little tricky to perfectly align the grill, outer housing, and inner housing, takes some practice to line up the keys. Probably the most difficult part of the install.

Putting the door back on is incredibly simple. I averaged maybe 10 mins.

First door took me an hour total to do the entire install and that was going carefully and learning. Second door probably took 30 mins.

Bavsound video mentions a T25 Torx socket. That was not the case for my car, it was a T15. Dont know if theres a variance in the screws used, or they were just wrong?

I went ahead and unplugged the center channel just to see if there's a difference others mention, cant quite tell, but its late here. I'll test it more at higher volumes tomorrow.

I AM considering getting the Coax Eton center channel speaker as a replacement for it..I cant imagine it wouldnt be an improvement over just leaving it unplugged as many others have..

However, since the front speakers went in, I do notice the hiss everyone warns of. So I guess it may be time to get the ASD Delete harness too.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #9
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Why the hiss ? Because these speakers are more efficient? Is this caused by the engine sound being piped into the cabin?

Thank for an excellent write up!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Why the hiss ? Because these speakers are more efficient? Is this caused by the engine sound being piped into the cabin?

Thank for an excellent write up!
hope I could help somehow.

The assumption is based on research from multiple threads here, that there is electrical noise/gain from the ASD unit that is hard wired in the trunk, which wires into Idrive and the whole head unit, so it cant just be "killed", it has to be defeated with a workaround. The noise is previously not heard from the oem speakers because they dont hit that frequency range.

Also, I tested the center channel being plugged in, and unplugged, and got inconclusive results..

Everyone who talks about unplugging the center channel from what I have seen does so based on the older research (before match eton rears were available) and I see that a lot of people did not install the tweeters in the front, if they were lacking the OEM tweeter mounts.

I am inclined to believe that the center channel would sound better with a proper replacement.

If I recall correctly, there was a setup that Technic did for his sisters car where he himself mentioned that the bulk of people lost out on center sound benefit because it was hard to fit a replacement speaker into that area.

As of now, Eton makes a solo center channel unique to our car (they did not when the strangelove thread originated and continued on), and I understand that the center in the car is not a true center channel (as in a dedicated surround sound setup) but a combo of L+R piped in together, but I am inclined to believe that based on the findings by Technic (the PNP guru), the fact that bavsound includes a center replacement speaker in their F22 stage 1 kit, and the fact that Eton specifically makes one, that a noticeable audio improvement would come from replacing the center as well.

I did not get a "revelation" of better sound as others had described when unplugging it, but that came from a lot of combinations Ive noticed of people either
a. unplugging the center while doing no speaker swaps
b. replacing rears and unplugging center
c. replacing front and unplugging the center (with or without dedicated tweeters
d. replacing front and rear (mixed sets of speakers) and unplugging the center.

Thats a lot of variables, and I ran a DB meter (off an app) and was not able to see the center channel producing more or less average sound, consistently..so Im inclined to believe that the replacement front and rears at this point simply over-power the center, and without a replacement center of equal quality, riding with or without it makes no difference.

So I may consider picking up the center channel Eton (B100XCN) and potentially ending my upgrade path after that. I will consider the Technic ASD Removal harness after I try to code out ASD first.

Originally my plans included the JBL amp as well, and potentially the underseat woofers, but at this point I see no immediate reason (want OR need) to do so as I am quite satisfied with the sound quality and volume gain.

I say the system went from a 2/10 to a solid 6.5-7/10 with adding tweeters and replacing front and rears.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:22 PM   #11
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for a great response!! Lots of great info to follow up on....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #12
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Ordered the center channel B100 XCN:

https://www.eton-gmbh.com/en/product...ct/b-100-x-cn/

Even though the consensus by most is that its not needed..

As I suspected, the center was basically removed by most because when speakers are replaced all around, the muddy sound left over is a result of the improper balancing with the trash stock center speaker.

If anyone is doubting this...seriously..DO IT. DO IT NOW.

The center upgrade is 100% worth it. Same reason why Bavsound includes it, and why Eton makes it..

With the center removed, I did not hear the "amazing improvement" everyone else heard, actually, I heard no difference at all, other than the thought that something was missing.

The center upgrade plugged in and the music really BOOMS properly. At this point I will stop. I dont think the amp upgrade is necessary at this point for me..which is not what I was thinking originally..now to just finally figure if the B100XHP filters are truly necessary.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 09:32 PM   #13
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I just did this just exactly the way you described and I am very happy with the improved sound for the $$$ is a very good deal.
I also had previously done the Bavsound subs and can't wait to do the front speakers this weekend!! Thanks for all the good detailed reports!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #14
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Glad to hear it worked out, just need to figure out the Cross-over conundrum!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #15
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

https://www.eton-gmbh.com/en/product...ct/b-100-x-cn/

Even though the consensus by most is that its not needed..

As I suspected, the center was basically removed by most because when speakers are replaced all around, the muddy sound left over is a result of the improper balancing with the trash stock center speaker.

If anyone is doubting this...seriously..DO IT. DO IT NOW.

The center upgrade is 100% worth it. Same reason why Bavsound includes it, and why Eton makes it..

With the center removed, I did not hear the "amazing improvement" everyone else heard, actually, I heard no difference at all, other than the thought that something was missing.

The center upgrade plugged in and the music really BOOMS properly. At this point I will stop. I dont think the amp upgrade is necessary at this point for me..which is not what I was thinking originally..now to just finally figure if the B100XHP filters are truly necessary.

I also just did the eaton center upgrade and it is really worth it! The vocals are more crisp and these speakers add a little mid-bass punch. I am very surprised how good this system sounds. I have the Bavsound subs and the eaton plug in replacements. I can stop now....thanks to AleksanderSuave for his reviews!@!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #16
hohay
Rep
Drives: M240i

AleksanderSuave was going to Focals but after speaking to a few local audio shops they all said the Etons are the best for the BMW.

One thing I am not sure about is the x-overs, it does list a x-over on listings for the b100w speakers but some places sell them separate. Do you need them?, looks to be £39.99 per side which makes the speakers much more expensive. I have a HK system
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #17
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohay View Post
AleksanderSuave was going to Focals but after speaking to a few local audio shops they all said the Etons are the best for the BMW.

One thing I am not sure about is the x-overs, it does list a x-over on listings for the b100w speakers but some places sell them separate. Do you need them?, looks to be £39.99 per side which makes the speakers much more expensive. I have a HK system

I also had the HK system. No need for the crossover. There looks to be a filter in the front doors to probably eliminate low frequencies going to tweeter. PM if you want any pictures or other info.....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 01:46 AM   #18
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I also had the HK system. No need for the crossover. There looks to be a filter in the front doors to probably eliminate low frequencies going to tweeter. PM if you want any pictures or other info.....
Definitely interested. What I remember from the strange-love thread was that the HK audio system was different from base/hifi..

So in this case the two systems may differ.

I only have the base/hifi in my car. Also very possible that the stock filter in the HK system is wired into the stock speaker/tweeter combo, which may be gone once you go to remove them.
Appreciate 1
SebsM2649.00
      10-24-2020, 11:33 PM   #19
TropikThunder
Private
Rep
Drives: current: 330i next: x3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Are you buying direct from Eton? I don't see anywhere on their website to purchase directly. I tried there "contact" page for a couple other questions and haven't heard back so maybe there's a better email address.
Appreciate 0