THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing If you bought a new LSD what ratio would you choose for Autox

11-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #1
buster-riley
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i 6MT no sunroof

If you bought a new LSD what ratio would you choose for Autox

I am thinking about a Wavetrac LSD and maybe a gearing change. What would be sensible gearing for a stock engine MT car that is mostly 99.9% street driven daily driver, but lightly autocrossed, 1 or 2 track events a year. I am keeping the car forever. Thx
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster-riley View Post
I am thinking about a Wavetrac LSD and maybe a gearing change. What would be sensible gearing for a stock engine MT car that is mostly 99.9% street driven daily driver, but lightly autocrossed, 1 or 2 track events a year. I am keeping the car forever. Thx
Based upon your profile, I wouldn't change from the 3.08 ratio you have now. These cars' torque levels solve the gearing issues that would be present in an NA car. That was the approach I took, and except for autocross I'm using my car the same way you are. If you were to get more serious about autocross or track use, you might want to lower the gearing as long, as it was still acceptable to you on the street.

I got my Wavetrac from Dan Fitzgerald at diffsonline.com. While I was already pretty sure the 3.08 wouldn't need to be changed (I used the gearing calculator on Dan's site: http://diffsonline.com/images/GearingCalculator.xls), I asked him what he thought based upon my running three track days a year with the rest being street use. Dan recommended staying with the 3.08.

Dan knows this stuff inside and out - it might be worth contacting him for more specific advice.

Update: Here's another online gearing calculator, from Tunnell Racing. This one has an advantage over Dan's calculator in that you can edit it: http://www.tunnellracing.com/gearcalc.xls . I used this capability to add a graph to make it easier for me to see what the RPM drop would be when shifting at different RPMs.

Last edited by dradernh; 11-16-2018 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0