THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics 2015 M235i glove box removal for MMI installation

09-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #1
2breezy
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i vert

2015 M235i glove box removal for MMI installation

I didn’t see much guidance for removing the glove box for the MMI install, so I took a few pics when I did the install.

The HK head unit doesn’t have extra room for the MMI box, so it can be located outside of that area on the glove box side. I used the YouTube from Bimmertech for most of my MMI guidance. Great video, but they purposefully don’t show the MMI placement.

Pop the vent trim and then the side dash left end piece. Remove the lower trim with the 2 10mm. Remove the Torx20 screws on the top and a few on the bottom. I had to remove the airbag screws (torx30 if I recall) to get to one. There is also a torx25 on the side.

MMI tucks right next to the head unit area on the glove box side. Doesn’t interfere with the glove box.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i M-Sport

Excellent job, this is exactly what I did. Although, you may want to add some padding around the MMI unit. After a few spirited drives, mine was moving around and rattling against other items. I ended up removing the glovebox for a second time and zip-tying and padding the MMI unit so it would not move around.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Did you try fitting it below the HK headunit? I found that the perfect amount of room was available, so that it's tight enough that things won't rattle but easy to slide it in/out if you never need to access it again.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
2breezy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
Did you try fitting it below the HK headunit? I found that the perfect amount of room was available, so that it's tight enough that things won't rattle but easy to slide it in/out if you never need to access it again.
Yep. Nope.

You most likely have more finesse than I.

Love the backup/forward cams. Totally worth it.

Posting my firmware info from my Carlinkit. Anyone have fresher updates? Ask Carlinkit but they said that was most current.

UPDATE; FOUND THE UPDATE PAGE
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...16&postcount=3
Attached Images

Last edited by 2breezy; 09-25-2021 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 06:22 AM   #5
2breezy
Private
Rep

Question

Is there a way to assign a button, etc for the backup cam? As of now, it just comes on after you shift out of reverse.

I only seem to get AA wired. Don’t know if AA is available wireless somehow?

Lovin this box.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 08:21 PM   #6
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
This is where i placed my unit there was even still enough room in there to put a video mirroring unit and all the wiring
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 12:18 PM   #7
2breezy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2breezy View Post
Is there a way to assign a button, etc for the backup cam? As of now, it just comes on after you shift out of reverse.

I only seem to get AA wired. Don’t know if AA is available wireless somehow?

Lovin this box.
FYI, I just upgraded my phone to the pixel 6. Wireless Android Auto now just auto starts. Used to have to use wired.
Appreciate 0