THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Intake temperatures (F22, B46/48)

08-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
alex_gprix
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i M-Performance

Intake temperatures (F22, B46/48)

Hey everyone, I am hoping that someone can share some insight on intake temperatures.

Long story short, before installing a controversial intake (unfortunately required in order to fit the BMS oil catch can). I decided to try out Bimmer Link to monitor my IAT before and after the install to decide if the BMS intake made a negative difference and thus I would try to retrofit the oil catch can and leave my stock air box.

MY QUESTION: Bimmer link seems to show two sensors;
1) "Intake air temp" (Measuring about 45C with 30C ambient)
2) "Intake air temp before throttle valve" (Measuring 80-90C)

My "before valve" temp is insanely high and I'm wondering if anyone can share some knowledge on the two sensors? I'm assuming the IAT is part of the MAF sensor, but what is this "before throttle valve"???

Thanks all!!
Appreciate 1
230iZTR315.50
      09-09-2020, 01:11 AM   #2
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I'm looking forward to the before/after comparison. I bought a BMS oil catch can and haven't installed it because I didn't see it required the intake. So I've got to decide between going all-in and adding the intake or selling it off and trying another solution...because I am also hesitant on removing the top portion of the airbox and skeptical about its efficacy with heat soak.
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71RS, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, custom 3" alumalite splitter, GTS wing, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
alex_gprix
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i M-Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
I'm looking forward to the before/after comparison. I bought a BMS oil catch can and haven't installed it because I didn't see it required the intake. So I've got to decide between going all-in and adding the intake or selling it off and trying another solution...because I am also hesitant on removing the top portion of the airbox and skeptical about its efficacy with heat soak.
I have monitored the temps right after the air filter, as well as before the throttle body (after charge & intercooler). The initial air temp at the MAF sensor has only read a few degrees warmer at slower speeds. This drops once you are moving at a reasonable speed.

The air temps before the throttle body are the same. I definitely would not say that the intake adds anything other than perhaps a touch of throttle response, however it doesn't seem to have any negative effect. To me the set-up is definitely worth having the catch can!
Appreciate 0