THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Bought a new 2021 M240i back in August this year

11-28-2021, 11:21 AM   #23
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliuod View Post
Well, I just purchased a 2021 Honda Ridgeline truck. On my way home after picking up the truck I turned on the heated steering wheel. Nothing came one and the little LED light on the switch also did not come on.

Once I got home I started looking into it. Came to find out the 10 amp fuse for the heated steering wheel was missing in the fuse box.

Not only did Honda failed to put in a fuse at the factory, but the dealer who was supposed to check all functions of the vehicle(I have the pre-inspection sheet all checked off) also failed to catch the missing fuse.

I have had many Japanese cars in the past. I don't recall any part(s) missing from a brand new car. In fact I have never had a new car(Japanese and German) with missing part(s). What is the difference? Lots of Japanese cars are being manufactured in the US compares to them manufactured in Japan.

There is absolutely NO excuse for this. What quality control?
First, let's dismiss the dealer from this topic. Dealers are independent franchisees and not part of the issue of an OEM locating an assembly plant. Whomever they hire is their local and independent decision.

But, are you actually attempting to draw a conclusion about an entire industry from one fuse in your one truck? I suggest a review of recent years' results of the JDPower Assembly Plant Quality data, where you will see a mix of plants located in Asia, US, Canada, Mexico, and Europe gaining top prizes. The building doesn't know where it is. The quality is a function of the capability of the management team, not any inherent untrainable inferiority of a country's people. Plants of all companies on all continents have successes and failures.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 3
aerobod3577.50
dradernh4179.00
Cos270608.50
      11-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #24
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, I just purchased a 2021 Honda Ridgeline truck ...
but the dealer who was supposed to check all functions of the vehicle(I have the pre-inspection sheet all checked off) also failed to catch the missing fuse.

Ridgelines are assembled in Lincoln, Alabama, so you can't blame that on Mexico.

As for the pre-inspection checklist you mention (I've never seen this on the two Honda's I've purchased new), does it indicate that they checked the steering wheel heater? If so, I'd bring that to the dealer's attention, as they obviously have issues with their staff. If not, you can be assured that it's not part of their inspection.
Appreciate 2
aerobod3577.50
Cos270608.50
      11-30-2021, 07:47 PM   #25
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Umm... Mexico has been producing vehicles for a long time and IS a world leader in vehicle assembly. The likes of the Audi Q5, Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra, Lincoln MKZ, Infiniti QX50, Mazda3, BMW 3 and 5 series and MANY more examples are all assembled in Mexico and shipped around the world, including to the US market.
Oh boy! Guess there's some reading comprehension dissonance, buuuuut as you seem to want to challenge my post...

Mexico has NO corporation that engineers, designs or produces their own vehicles. Those are foreign corporations that have transplanted some of their operations there for profit motives, ie cheaper to make there than pay import duties, sorry that this distinction has escaped your understanding.

For the matter, Mexcio has some mixed output in regard to quality control and it mostly reflects back to the parent corporation in regard to problems.

Want to discuss the rampant GRAFT that is part of the Mexican culture there and how that factors into those factories?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 09:30 AM   #26
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Mexico has NO corporation that engineers, designs or produces their own vehicles. Those are foreign corporations that have transplanted some of their operations there for profit motives, ie cheaper to make there than pay import duties, sorry that this distinction has escaped your understanding.
I fully understand the distinction, and I am aware that there are no Mexican based manufacturers (designers). However, where a vehicle is designed and where it is assembled are completely unrelated. Would you feel better about a Mexican designed car assembled in the US vs. one assembled in Mexico? Consider that Tesla's are assembled in Freemont, CA, and the quality control issues with their assembly are well documented and noted in just about every review of their cars. I've never seen a review of a BMW 3-series (assembled in Mexico) which focused on how the gaps in body panels / doors / hood / trunk lid are inconsistent.

Yes, manufacturers have shifted assembly to Mexico because it is more profitable to do so. That doesn't mean that Mexico has inherently bad quality control. If quality were that much of an issue in Mexico assembly plants, manufacturers would experience an increase in costs associated with warranty repairs, recalls and loss of sales, all of which would negate the reduced production cost and have a negative impact on profitability. A multitude of accountants from a number of manufacturers have all come to the same conclusion: it is more profitable to assemble cars in Mexico. The fact is that Mexico has vast experience in vehicle assembly for a number of manufacturers, all based in other countries (some of which design better products than others).
Appreciate 3
aerobod3577.50
Sportstick4605.50
Cos270608.50
      12-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #27
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
I fully understand the distinction, and I am aware that there are no Mexican based manufacturers (designers). However, where a vehicle is designed and where it is assembled are completely unrelated. Would you feel better about a Mexican designed car assembled in the US vs. one assembled in Mexico? Consider that Tesla's are assembled in Freemont, CA, and the quality control issues with their assembly are well documented and noted in just about every review of their cars. I've never seen a review of a BMW 3-series (assembled in Mexico) which focused on how the gaps in body panels / doors / hood / trunk lid are inconsistent.

Yes, manufacturers have shifted assembly to Mexico because it is more profitable to do so. That doesn't mean that Mexico has inherently bad quality control. If quality were that much of an issue in Mexico assembly plants, manufacturers would experience an increase in costs associated with warranty repairs, recalls and loss of sales, all of which would negate the reduced production cost and have a negative impact on profitability. A multitude of accountants from a number of manufacturers have all come to the same conclusion: it is more profitable to assemble cars in Mexico. The fact is that Mexico has vast experience in vehicle assembly for a number of manufacturers, all based in other countries (some of which design better products than others).
Your point is perfectly taken, and the prior criticism rests upon the irrelevant distinction you noted. There is no established correlation between the distance from the design and engineering center to the assembly plant and quality of what the plant produces. In fact, there are many examples to the contrary. Some of the worst quality has come from plants quite close to OEM headquarter facilities in the U.S., while Honda Accords produced in Ohio (a state without a design nor engineering HQ) at times exceeded the quality of those produced in Japan. Therefore, absence of a design and engineering HQ in a country where plants are located is the proverbial "red herring".

Further, every assembly plant (yes, ask me how I know, please) has a staff of "resident engineers" who collaborate with manufacturing engineers also onsite to deal with any and all issues that arise during production. Resident engineering is a known industry job description that involves staff representing different vehicle systems to locate for 1-2 years at the plant to ensure immediacy of knowledge onsite. If one measures quality data from many plants in Mexico, in particular, the numbers prove how well this operational style works.

I think we are dealing with a failed intellectual alibi, from a source apparently outside the industry, to provide cover for stereotypes, over-generalizations, and simple cultural bias. Moving on...
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 4
aerobod3577.50
Cos270608.50
harma24402.50
Frosty772.50
      12-01-2021, 02:12 PM   #28
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Your point is perfectly taken, and the prior criticism rests upon the irrelevant distinction you noted. There is no established correlation between the distance from the design and engineering center to the assembly plant and quality of what the plant produces. In fact, there are many examples to the contrary. Some of the worst quality has come from plants quite close to OEM headquarter facilities in the U.S., while Honda Accords produced in Ohio (a state without a design nor engineering HQ) at times exceeded the quality of those produced in Japan. Therefore, absence of a design and engineering HQ in a country where plants are located is the proverbial "red herring".

Further, every assembly plant (yes, ask me how I know, please) has a staff of "resident engineers" who collaborate with manufacturing engineers also onsite to deal with any and all issues that arise during production. Resident engineering is a known industry job description that involves staff representing different vehicle systems to locate for 1-2 years at the plant to ensure immediacy of knowledge onsite. If one measures quality data from many plants in Mexico, in particular, the numbers prove how well this operational style works.

I think we are dealing with a failed intellectual alibi, from a source apparently outside the industry, to provide cover for stereotypes, over-generalizations, and simple cultural bias. Moving on...
Bravo. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:25 PM   #29
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

FWIW the hood of my 21 M240 was not flush with the front bumper, I had to adjust the hooks two turns to get it flush and it was assembled in Leipzig.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #30
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' M440I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
First, let's dismiss the dealer from this topic. Dealers are independent franchisees and not part of the issue of an OEM locating an assembly plant. Whomever they hire is their local and independent decision.

But, are you actually attempting to draw a conclusion about an entire industry from one fuse in your one truck? I suggest a review of recent years' results of the JDPower Assembly Plant Quality data, where you will see a mix of plants located in Asia, US, Canada, Mexico, and Europe gaining top prizes. The building doesn't know where it is. The quality is a function of the capability of the management team, not any inherent untrainable inferiority of a country's people. Plants of all companies on all continents have successes and failures.
So I accidentally placed my reply in part of your quote. If that hurts your feelings, I am sorry. I just hope you will never experience anything wrong with cars you purchased.

You simply can not eliminate the dealer in this situation. Dealers represent the car company. I really do not care who screwed up(does that sound better to you). The fact of the matter is about poor quality control. There is no excuse for this.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #31
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So I accidentally placed my reply in part of your quote. If that hurts your feelings, I am sorry. I just hope you will never experience anything wrong with cars you purchased.

You simply can not eliminate the dealer in this situation. Dealers represent the car company. I really do not care who screwed up(does that sound better to you). The fact of the matter is about poor quality control. There is no excuse for this.
You really are offloading your own error with sarcasm? You may lower yourself to such language as you attributed to me. I'm capable of writing and conveying my thoughts otherwise.

You can rant as you wish, but without understanding how the industry works, you achieve zero other than your own cortisol. I think we're done here.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 09:05 PM   #32
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Took a look at the G42 M240i xDrive at the dealer today. I have to say the construction quality is first rate and by the looks of it the shut lines are the best on any BMW and certainly at least as good as Lexus can achieve.

Here is a photo of the difficult area where the bonnet / hood meets the fender / wing and top of the bumper cover. The shut lines are very tight, consistent and even. The German made cars (3 and 5 series) have noticeably wider gaps, as does the Mexican assembled 3-series which is the same as the German ones, as do the US made X-series vehicles. Basically the shut line tolerances are reflective of the series engineering and current standard and the G42 looks as though that is taken to a new height with it being the latest model from an engineering perspective:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      12-22-2021, 11:51 PM   #33
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himbla122 View Post
I bought a new 2021 m240i in June and I wasn't aware that the 2022 model was getting a complete over haul. I love my M240 but I wish the dealer gave me a heads up. For the price difference how much better is this new 2022 model over my 2021?
You want the truth?

It’s way better.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 12:11 AM   #34
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
You want the truth?

It’s way better.
You may prefer it, but the actual truth is there is no such objective entity as “better”, which is only a subjective human construct. In reality, things are either the same or different. That’s it. The rest is purely personal preference.

Last edited by Sportstick; 12-23-2021 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
Frosty772.50
      12-26-2021, 10:34 PM   #35
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
You want the truth?

It’s way better.
..No manual in 2022
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 11:43 PM   #36
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
..No manual in 2022
Not available on the 2021 car in question, either.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 07:04 AM   #37
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
OP: the last year of production of a given model is almost always much more reliable than the first year of its successor. As a rule of thumb, it is not a good idea to buy any model in its first year of production. So overall, you have bought a classic vehicle in its best iteration. Congratulations and many happy years of driving it!
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2021, 11:06 AM   #38
MichaelL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport

Quote:
You want the truth?

It’s way better.
Really? How so? Have you driven it? Would love to hear your review if you have. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #39
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelL View Post
Really? How so? Have you driven it? Would love to hear your review if you have. Thanks
Yes, I've driven it. I posted detailed impressions a few weeks ago here (two separate drives).

https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1873919

There's a reason this car is constantly compared to the M2 Comp and not the F22.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 08:20 PM   #40
MichaelL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport

Quote:
Yes, I've driven it. I posted detailed impressions a few weeks ago here (two separate drives).

https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1873919

There's a reason this car is constantly compared to the M2 Comp and not the F22.
Thanks, I missed that one, will read it now.

Good write up, such a bummer there isn’t a manual offered, this is a prime car for a stick!

Last edited by MichaelL; 12-29-2021 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      12-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #41
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

I think the ultimate 2-series to wait for is the G87 M2 with manual transmission and 450bhp. Likely the best drivers car of any 2-series and supposedly the last non-hybrid M-car.

If the leaked info is correct, this may be the last ICE car I buy, possibly in about 4 years time for an LCI version.
Appreciate 1