THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Change Angel Eye color?

02-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
hotchicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Change Angel Eye color?

I promise I’ve searched and I can’t find anything. Does anybody know if it’s possible to change the color for the angel eyes? It appears there are two units/LEDs per side. This is the part number for one side. What I would like to do is to you make my inner rings Amber.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=63117388924
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchicken View Post
I promise I’ve searched and I can’t find anything. Does anybody know if it’s possible to change the color for the angel eyes? It appears there are two units/LEDs per side. This is the part number for one side. What I would like to do is to you make my inner rings Amber.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=63117388924
I've thought about this, but in yellow like the M8 concept. The hurdle is that those LED modules are very expensive, about $500 total for both sides, and any modification that could damage them just isn't worth it.

Because no aftermarket solution exists, there's two options.

1) removing the existing white SMD chips and replacing with an equivalent yellow or colored chips, requires soldering and will probably damage the board.

2) The best option in my opinion is to purchase some colored filter gels and cutting out the appropriate size and placing on top of the SMD chip. Most filter gels are heat resistant (used on halogen theater or production lights). Might take some trial and error to get the right color, but gels are pretty cheap. I don't see a reason why this would cause overheating or any real damage.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
hotchicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Boat View Post
Quote:
I promise I've searched and I can't find anything. Does anybody know if it's possible to change the color for the angel eyes? It appears there are two units/LEDs per side. This is the part number for one side. What I would like to do is to you make my inner rings Amber.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...;q=63117388924
I've thought about this, but in yellow like the M8 concept. The hurdle is that those LED modules are very expensive, about $500 total for both sides, and any modification that could damage them just isn't worth it.

Because no aftermarket solution exists, there's two options.

1) removing the existing white SMD chips and replacing with an equivalent yellow or colored chips, requires soldering and will probably damage the board.

2) The best option in my opinion is to purchase some colored filter gels and cutting out the appropriate size and placing on top of the SMD chip. Most filter gels are heat resistant (used on halogen theater or production lights). Might take some trial and error to get the right color, but gels are pretty cheap. I don't see a reason why this would cause overheating or any real damage.
Talk to me about these filter gels!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Babite-8-7-In...3944861&sr=8-1

Those two circled components are the SMD chips. I'd cut out the appropriate size to cover the chips and attach. Might need to do multiple layers to darken the color to get the right saturation.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
hotchicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Babite-8-7-Inches-Overlays-Transparency-Correction/dp/B07C4Y8RZW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=heat+resistant+filter+color&qi d=1583944861&sr=8-1

Those two circled components are the SMD chips. I'd cut out the appropriate size to cover the chips and attach. Might need to do multiple layers to darken the color to get the right saturation.

Quote:
Quote:
Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Babite-8-7-In...861&sr=8-1

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Cool. Thank you. I have a project now!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #6
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Thank you. I have a project now!
let me know how it goes! May try it myself
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
POMFKIMOCHI
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT/RWD EBII

Also subbed for progress pics
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
hotchicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Check it out! [IMG][/IMG]

I got the gel sheets, cut some tiny pieces of the yellow, and taped them over the LEDs just as a test. I went with three layers here. It is sprinkling a bit here, so the headlights have some mist on them. Maybe looks a little bit green? I think it's because the LEDs have a blue tint, so mixed with the yellow there's a bit of a green cast. Pictures are a little weird. Did not realize it, but these LEDs apparently flash or cycle. You can't see it with your eye, but the camera sees it. Brighter in person.

What do you think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #9
lnoble
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 230i

Quote:

I got the gel sheets, cut some tiny pieces of the yellow, and taped them over the LEDs just as a test. I went with three layers here. It is sprinkling a bit here, so the headlights have some mist on them. Maybe looks a little bit green? I think it's because the LEDs have a blue tint, so mixed with the yellow there's a bit of a green cast. Pictures are a little weird. Did not realize it, but these LEDs apparently flash or cycle. You can't see it with your eye, but the camera sees it. Brighter in person.

What do you think?
Looks awesome! How long did this take you and how difficult was it?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 11:56 PM   #10
hotchicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnoble View Post
Quote:

What do you think?
Looks awesome! How long did this take you and how difficult was it?
Thanks! Actually this was just a test. Haven't done a permanent install yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #11
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

There is an aftermarket option: aliexpress

I'm waiting for price to go down, the RGB was priced at 250$. Hopefully some competition will appear soon so the prices go even lower.

I don't know how long these last and 200$ is a lot of money for me, so I'm not willing to try them just yet.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #12
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

That is an interesting effect, and good to know it can be obtained fairly easily (but perhaps not with this material).

FYI, the description you linked to includes this: "....but please do not leave the product close to the light which is on, or it will be melted. "
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #13
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
That is an interesting effect, and good to know it can be obtained fairly easily (but perhaps not with this material).

FYI, the description you linked to includes this: "....but please do not leave the product close to the light which is on, or it will be melted. "
Will have to check with a thermometer that the LEDs do not reach over 140 deg. f, which I do not think they do. If it is under that temp, should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 05:57 PM   #14
hotchicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post

Will have to check with a thermometer that the LEDs do not reach over 140 deg. f, which I do not think they do. If it is under that temp, should be fine.
I ended up finding a 3M lens repair film. It was thicker and had better color. True automotive amber. Turns out it can't take the heat. Made little black spots right at the LEDS so I removed it. Best option would be to somehow swap for colored LEDs but that's over my head.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #15
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

these LED's have that huge heatsink because the run very hot. I doubt there is any kind of film that would not melt. These LED's are the reason your fenders feel warm when you touch them.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #16
hotchicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
these LED's have that huge heatsink because the run very hot. I doubt there is any kind of film that would not melt. These LED's are the reason your fenders feel warm when you touch them.
So tiny. So hot.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 06:46 AM   #17
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
Amber Angel Eyes

For years the AE's were a dull yellow color, and everybody wanted the a crisp white.
Now you want the yellow again???
Good Luck.
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      04-09-2020, 09:46 PM   #18
hotchicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Orange"]For years the AE's were a dull yellow color, and everybody wanted the a crisp white.
Now you want the yellow again???
Good Luck.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Hey thanks!
Appreciate 0