THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing What kind of camera for HPDE/AutoX video and how where to mount?

12-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

What kind of camera for HPDE/AutoX video and how where to mount?

I'm looking to start recording my AutoX and HPDE sessions to go back and look for ways to improve afterwards and share just for fun. What are you using to capture track video and where do you mount it?

I've got a SeaSucker GoPro Mount, and am looking at a GoPro Hero 7 "Silver" as a simple enough camera with image stabilization and 4k/30fps video. Is the "HyperSmooth" image stabilization available in the GoPro Hero 7 "Black" worth ~$100 in price difference? Is there a different non-GoPro camera worth looking at?

And where do you mount the camera? Is video better if it's through the windshield from the dashboard area looking out with a driver-like perspective over the hood? Should I mount it to the rear window so I can review my handwork on the wheel? Should it be positioned on the side of the car somewhere to give a good sense of speed?
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71Rs, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Don't currently have a 2, but here is my favorite location.

Only real negative issue is that I have to replace the screen on a regular basis. I also have my dashcam mounted on the windshield, but I like the sense of speed and lack of obstructions from this location.
Attached Images

12-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
Is video better if it's through the windshield from the dashboard area looking out with a driver-like perspective over the hood?
That's the place to mount it if improving your driving on a race track is the goal. All I use video for is to see if I'm placing the car exactly where it's supposed to be (and at the correct angle). Mounting the GoPro at the interior top of the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror captures what I need to see.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 10:39 PM   #4
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

get the 'black'

I would really recommend the 'black' versions of a GoPro. The key reason is that the black versions include a surprisingly good GPS, and accelerometers. The Hero5 Black I have is rated at 18hz, and is much better than my phone GPS. This data can be read for accurate speed readings by video apps like RaceRender. With the data integrated in the video file, it is super simple for RaceRender to automatically pull it out and use the GPS data in the video.

You can see the speed readings in this video:

You don't need the latest GoPro. This video was done on a Hero5, which you can still find on close-out cheap. The Hero6 is starting to close out relatively cheap also. I also know some people who have good experience with a Garmin Virb.

Don't forget to budget for multiple high-quality micro SD cards for the camera. At 1440 res I get just over 2 hours of video on 64GB card, which just covers the typical 4x 25m sessions of a typical HPDE day for me. YMMV, and higher res eats more space.

I use a head-rest clamp for my camera. If you attach it to an occupied seat they are generally steady. I like to be able to see my steering inputs, and catch a glimpse of the gauges. Also really easy to power the cam from back power jack with a longer USB-C cable so don't have to worry about battery life. And easy to operate by just reaching back, and viewing it in the rear view mirror. This is the mount I use:
https://www.amazon.com/Headrest-Tack.../dp/B00XIB6SK4

Still, I have been thinking about moving to a windshield mount. It definitely gives a better view of the track. Harder to power though, and mounts can be trickier. Some groups also have issues with just using a suction mount for a camera. They want it mechanically secured.
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
230iZTR315.50
      12-30-2019, 11:00 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
Some groups also have issues with just using a suction mount for a camera. They want it mechanically secured.
This type of tether can satisfy the requirement if the camera is mounted, for example, near the rear view mirror: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WM1WEPY/.
Appreciate 1
230iZTR315.50
      01-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #6
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I use a Garmin Virb and a cruise cam headrest mount
like this

Video quality is good but the GPS data is not very accurate.
I also recommend getting a case that allows you to plug in the USB charger while in use so you don't run out of battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p78OTx4KU2A
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I was going to point out to Nugget that you generally want to use a seatback camera mount only on occupied seats. If no one is sitting in the seat they tend to flop around and add a lot of shake.

But then I watched the linked video, and realized that he has a right-hand drive car, and that IS the seat he's sitting in.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:20 PM   #8
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

This is what I use to mount my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the video without a passenger on the seat. Not too bad.
(also, wheel balance was not great during this track day.)

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #9
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
I was going to point out to Nugget that you generally want to use a seatback camera mount only on occupied seats. If no one is sitting in the seat they tend to flop around and add a lot of shake.

But then I watched the linked video, and realized that he has a right-hand drive car, and that IS the seat he's sitting in.
That is a stock photo from google.
But the camera is actually mounted to the passenger seat in the video.
I will try the driver's seat next time.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #10
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
And where do you mount the camera?
This weekend I discovered rear-facing mounting on the rear windshield. Not as much for your own driving, but other cars you mess around with will love it. It does seem to convey a lot more of the speed feeling than the windshield or rollbar position.

Plus it makes a following car's mistakes (me, in this case) blindingly obvious:
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
MassNerd171.00