THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Do you beep at people who are sleeping at green lights?

03-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #23
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
I don't Beep .....I fucken Bump them hard
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #24
LeeD31
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3\EB 328xi Tour\G01X3

This also happens where I live. I always give the horn a quick tap to inform the drivers around me that they are moving into my lane, the light has turned green, or they have completely cut me off. This may be just me, but when I drove in Europe, most people used the horn as a means of communication between drivers. Honking is very common, and sometimes even used as commmon courtesy to inform other drivers of their faults.

It seems as though in North America, it is received in a negative light.

Karmaloop Rep Code: 'DUBST3P' for 20% off your order @ www.karmaloop.com
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #25
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Kinda OT, but this is the dumbest thing I have ever witnessed while driving.

I'm at a gas station that has an all flat surface leading to the street, so you can pull in or out pretty much anywhere you want. There's no "driveway."

So I'm finished getting gas and have my car angled to make a right out of the lot, which is with the flow of traffic, I don't need to cut across the lanes to go the proper direction.

Just as I'm about to go, I see something out of the corner of my eye, and it's this old lady in a brown lexus. She pulls up on the RIGHT side of me, and I figure she's just doing something so I keep going. So she puts the pedal to the metal and SHE starts going too - she is on the right side of me, trying to make a left.

So I slammed on my brakes and said (and I feel really guilty about it now, but I was just like WTF) "what the fuck are you doing?!" (my top was down and her window was down) and she goes "what" and I said, "I'm trying to go this way (point right) and she goes, "well I'm trying to go this way (points left). (That part was funny because she was so sassy, lol)

So she went and then almost got hit by like 3 different people because she kept starting and stopping and stuttering - and I was left sitting there like OMG, did that just happen.
Attached Images

03-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #26
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
honk hard and long!
      03-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #27
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post

I'm at a gas station that has an all flat surface leading to the street, so you can pull in or out pretty much anywhere you want. There's no "driveway."

So I'm finished getting gas and have my car angled to make a right out of the lot, which is with the flow of traffic, I don't need to cut across the lanes to go the proper direction.

Just as I'm about to go, I see something out of the corner of my eye, and it's this old lady in a brown lexus. She pulls up on the RIGHT side of me, and I figure she's just doing something so I keep going. So she puts the pedal to the metal and SHE starts going too - she is on the right side of me, trying to make a left.

So I slammed on my brakes and said (and I feel really guilty about it now, but I was just like WTF) "what the fuck are you doing?!" (my top was down and her window was down) and she goes "what" and I said, "I'm trying to go this way (point right) and she goes, "well I'm trying to go this way (points left). (That part was funny because she was so sassy, lol)

So she went and then almost got hit by like 3 different people because she kept starting and stopping and stuttering - and I was left sitting there like OMG, did that just happen.
some people really shouldn't have a license. that's just ridculous
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #28
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
some people really shouldn't have a license. that's just ridculous
I know right? It was scary. I guarantee she will hurt someone or herself.
      03-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #29
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
I wait a few seconds and then a light honk.

What really gets me pissed off is people that hang in the left lane of the highway and drive slow as hell. There was this dumb b*tch doing 50 mph in the left lane (Speed limit was 55 mph) and she was holding up all this traffic. It's only a two lane highway so both lanes had cars in them. I finally found a break in traffic in the right lane so I threw it in 2nd and laid on the horn as I passed the two cars in front of me and the stupid b*tch that was holding up traffic. After I passed her, she then decided to move over to the right lane. Wtf...

I deal with that shit everyday going to and from school. It's so annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #30
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I just go around and floor it
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #31
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

I'll go ahead and admit to being a sleeper sometimes. I never text while moving, I always wait until a red light to start typing, then put the phone down to drive.

The problem is, if you want to turn a red to green in no time flat, pick up the phone to send a text. Pretty soon you're getting honked at.

I knew it, I deserved it, glad they were keeping me honest. It's nothing personal. I'll give a sleeper a quick 2 beeps, never gotten a negative response.

Last edited by J-9; 03-10-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #32
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post

What really gets me pissed off is people that hang in the left lane of the highway and drive slow as hell. There was this dumb b*tch doing 50 mph in the left lane (Speed limit was 55 mph) and she was holding up all this traffic. It's only a two lane highway so both lanes had cars in them. I finally found a break in traffic in the right lane so I threw it in 2nd and laid on the horn as I passed the two cars in front of me and the stupid b*tch that was holding up traffic. After I passed her, she then decided to move over to the right lane. Wtf...

Status quo here, especially in Chicagoland.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #33
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:

ahaha, get that all the time.
      03-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #34
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

Speaking of people driving slow in the left lane. What's the etiquette for letting the slow driver know they need to speed up or move? Is a quick high beam cool? Or just downshift to 3rd and pass on the right?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #35
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post

Had a similar experience right down the street from the office. College girl sitting at a 4-way stop sign heading west. North-South cross traffic was blocked by a ton of kids crossing the crosswalks, so there was no reason she couldn't go straight. I tapped the horn and she didn't budge. Finally the crosswalks cleared and the N-S traffic went. Now it was "her turn" to go, but she still didn't move for whatever reason. I leaned on the horn this time. Still nothing. Then N-S traffic started moving again and suddenly she darted out right in front of a southbound car and got nailed. Low speed hit, maybe 10 MPH, but enough to cause damage. I was finally able to pull out and go left to head south and as I went by she was getting out of her car and point her finger at me like it was my fault. She drove out in front of the other car a good 30 seconds after my second beep of the horn. So this is my fault?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #36
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
Speaking of people driving slow in the left lane. What's the etiquette for letting the slow driver know they need to speed up or move? Is a quick high beam cool? Or just downshift to 3rd and pass on the right?
If there's room to go by on the right, I always do. No sense trying to give some idiot a driving lesson. What gets me are the bozos who will drive along beside a semi's wheels for miles. Not only is that dangerous as hell, it's really annoying to everyone now stuck behind the semi.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #37
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I took asleep literally.

Slow to go... tappity tap on the screamer gets them going. Then I usually give them a lil wave as to say it's ok there chief but get your ass moving.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #38
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
If there's room to go by on the right, I always do. No sense trying to give some idiot a driving lesson. What gets me are the bozos who will drive along beside a semi's wheels for miles. Not only is that dangerous as hell, it's really annoying to everyone now stuck behind the semi.
+1

I always give a little extra gas to move past a semi if there's one right next to me. Just scares me to think what if the semi driver decides to merge and doesn't see me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Had a similar experience right down the street from the office. College girl sitting at a 4-way stop sign heading west. North-South cross traffic was blocked by a ton of kids crossing the crosswalks, so there was no reason she couldn't go straight. I tapped the horn and she didn't budge. Finally the crosswalks cleared and the N-S traffic went. Now it was "her turn" to go, but she still didn't move for whatever reason. I leaned on the horn this time. Still nothing. Then N-S traffic started moving again and suddenly she darted out right in front of a southbound car and got nailed. Low speed hit, maybe 10 MPH, but enough to cause damage. I was finally able to pull out and go left to head south and as I went by she was getting out of her car and point her finger at me like it was my fault. She drove out in front of the other car a good 30 seconds after my second beep of the horn. So this is my fault?
you scared her, bro. her reaction time was a just a tad off. probably had to finish texting or checking makeup; y'know the 'important' stuff you should always multi-task while driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #39
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

The horn is for emergencies in my mind. I never honk it when waiting behind someone as I find it disrespectful.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...r_horn_in.html

Quote:
Car manufacturers equip automobiles with a sounding device primarily for one reason, to prevent accidents. Horns on automobiles, when used appropriately, can warn drivers of an approaching collision in time to save lives from injury or even death and property from damage.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #40
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
The horn is for emergencies in my mind. I never honk it when waiting behind someone as I find it disrespectful.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...r_horn_in.html
Well, they are preventing a collision, because if they don't move the fuck out of the way they are getting rear ended :\
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #41
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

i would not wait more than 3 seconds before giving a light double tap on the horn
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #42
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

NO!

take them on the inside when the lights change then pull up in front of them. Stop the car and have a fight.
      03-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #43
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:

Nothing pisses me off more than people who do that^

I usually pass them on the right but I don't even merge out of their lane all the way(I'm halfway in their lane and halfway on the right as I pass real close to them) and then I cut back in immediately in front of them..
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #44
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
Downshift, lay on the horn and pass. When you lay on the horn, to me it feels like you're saying, "You're a f*ckin idiot, move." That's why I use it. Other than that, I rarely ever use the horn. I don't get road rage but that one thing just gets to me.
Appreciate 0