THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning BMS Ver. 2 intake

11-08-2023, 02:11 PM   #1
Dstructv
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

BMS Ver. 2 intake

I just received this in the mail today, it came with a black l bracet that goes to the 2 screws underneath, however I dont know if I installed it correct? Theres no instructions and its the newer intake so all there online manuals are v1 with different brackets. I basically put it to the square piece near headlight (t40) bolt, it lined up and supports the intake, hope this was correct.

All I can say is the sound of this thing is absolutely amazing, im beyond happy
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 10:18 PM   #2
Dstructv
Rep

Anddddd check engine light.. so much for version 2 fixing that issue.. ugh was supposed to get an inspection tomorrow too. Gonna have to swap and drive the stock one and hopefully it goes away.

MAF Cleaner worked! light went off immediately after cleaning! phew

Last edited by Dstructv; 11-09-2023 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2023, 11:03 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Im sorry to hear that OP

are you getting a different intake now or keeping the stock one?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 11:59 AM   #4
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstructv View Post
Anddddd check engine light.. so much for version 2 fixing that issue.. ugh was supposed to get an inspection tomorrow too. Gonna have to swap and drive the stock one and hopefully it goes away.

MAF Cleaner worked! light went off immediately after cleaning! phew
Maybe to much oil on the filter.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 05:46 PM   #5
Dstructv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Im sorry to hear that OP

are you getting a different intake now or keeping the stock one?
Im keeping it now, like I said in the edit I got it running right after cleaning the sensor! Hopefully no issues arrise down the road, It sounds so good
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 05:54 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im keeping it now, like I said in the edit I got it running right after cleaning the sensor! Hopefully no issues arrise down the road, It sounds so good

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 08:20 PM   #7
Dstructv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Maybe to much oil on the filter.
So unfortunately same CEL code is p00BD. To much air. Car stutters a lot around 2500 rpm cruising.. im gonna have to return it I think and go back to stock. Cleaning did not help this time. Idk what else to try
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 02:57 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So unfortunately same CEL code is p00BD. To much air. Car stutters a lot around 2500 rpm cruising.. im gonna have to return it I think and go back to stock. Cleaning did not help this time. Idk what else to try
Instead of going back to stock, i recommend you get a different brand. We never had any issues with CTS Turbo, MAD or MST intakes.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 02:28 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Stop wasting your money on intakes. They're a worthless mod with no measurable performance advantage and many cause CELs, driveability issues, etc., just like you're seeing. The BMS intake is not alone in causing these types of issues. Do a Google search of whatever intake you fancy and you'll see someone that's had the same issues. None are immune. If you want additional sound, just get the lower airbox from the M2 which has a hole cut in it with a velocity stack. It has maybe 1/3 of the sound of an open intake.

You'd be much better served taking that money and putting it towards a high quality catted downpipe or a flash tune.
      11-16-2023, 04:29 PM   #10
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

I've got the Injen intake, no cel and Ive had it for 20k+ miles, and I drive hard. Im also tuned on BM3 Stg1. It seems most people that have intake issues are either not installed properly, dirty maf, or on stock tune.

When I first installed my intake I had a CEL. After cleaning the MAF and making sure all connections were tight, it went away and never came back. Hose clamps are tricky when it comes to having them tight enough to prevent air leaks, yet not too much to where it cuts the rubber coupler. I would visit that first.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 10:30 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
I've got the Injen intake, no cel and Ive had it for 20k+ miles, and I drive hard. Im also tuned on BM3 Stg1. It seems most people that have intake issues are either not installed properly, dirty maf, or on stock tune.

When I first installed my intake I had a CEL. After cleaning the MAF and making sure all connections were tight, it went away and never came back. Hose clamps are tricky when it comes to having them tight enough to prevent air leaks, yet not too much to where it cuts the rubber coupler. I would visit that first.
Lots of the newer intakes do not produce a CEL.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 10:46 AM   #12
Dstructv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post

I made sure all of that was checked, BMS was super helpful with customer support, I am returning it but they are going to check the tube and make sure there were no factory issues, the MAF was cleaned, the seal is somewhat new and was very tight so I dont think that caused my issues, I also made sure the hose clamp on both the filter and the other side were not to tight and not too loose.

It is what it is, I went back to stock and no issues at all, I even did a k&N filter in the meantime and again no issues. I don't know what route imma go with yet now down the line but for winter im gonna leave it as is.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 10:05 AM   #13
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

K&N isn't good, man. Put the stock paper filter back in. The paper filter is fine. There's no useable power to be found with these intakes. If you want noise, just hack your lower airbox and run an AFE dry filter.
      11-20-2023, 11:17 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
K&N isn't good, man. Put the stock paper filter back in. The paper filter is fine. There's no useable power to be found with these intakes. If you want noise, just hack your lower airbox and run an AFE dry filter.
I agree with you on K&N but disagree on zero power to be gained with high-flow filters or intakes.

Considering that this platform has been around for a decade, the various intake dynos shared over the years do indicate some gains. While these aren't substantial boosts in power, they are nonetheless present.

It's not a major power increase, and it's certainly a sound upgrade mod and not a power upgrade. But there is some power to be gained alongside the Woosh upgrade

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 01:37 PM   #15
Dstructv
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
It wasnt anything related to gains, I just ran them on every car I've ever owned . Hacking the lower airbox in terms of how?
Appreciate 0