THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Wheel damage on newly purchased M240i Convertible - Need Advice

04-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
saxguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Wheel damage on newly purchased M240i Convertible - Need Advice

This past Friday I purchased a 2018 M240i xdrive convertible from the dealer that I got my F90 M5 from. The car was a factory car, never titled, but had 4700 miles. While driving home I noticed a bad vibration at higher speeds and then, as I paid more attention to it, noticed it was there to some degree no matter what speed I was driving at. The dealer did tell me that one wheel had "cosmetic damage" before I purchased the car, but it was refinished. Upon visual inspection the rim seemed to be fine.

When I got home I called the dealer and told them what I was experiencing. They said I would have to bring the car back to them. They are an hour and a half from my home so I asked if they could possibly send someone to get the car to look it over. At the time they weren't willing to do so. As I am a doctor, I have a really tight patient schedule and also will be out of town for the next few weekends, but wanted the car looked at.

I had my local dealer pick it up (they service my M5) and my service rep told me that the front right wheel was bent beyond repair and that the other three wheels were bent and needed to be straightened. He took a video clearly showing that this was the case.

I told the original dealer what they had found and was told that "yes, we see that there were two rims on the passenger side of the car that were bent but were repaired, but the other two were fine. We need to see the car because if the other two rims are bent then something must have happened when you drove it home." They had no interest in seeing the video or speaking to the other service department. They also told me that if the car had a bent wheel it would have been evident when driving the car (which is, of course, what I told them) and that they did an alignment before delivery so everything should be ok.

I was dumbfounded. I did all highway miles on the way home with no incidents whatsoever. So now, after some back and forth, they want to come pick up the car (funny how now they can do it), bring it back to their service department, have the same people who "fixed" the wheels the first time look the car over and then figure out what to do.

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do at this point. I guess the only course of action I have is to let them get the car and re-examine the wheels. If they say everything is ok when I get the car back I have every intention of having my local dealer check the wheels again, even if I have to pay for the service.

Is this my only option at this point?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Wow. If a BMW dealer, you should complain to BMW USA.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #3
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Try talking to the sales manager instead of the service manager - the one that sold you the car. Ask them to get you new wheels, or at least repair all of them correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

New wheels should be the start point, clearly the repair didn't fix the issue. I wonder if someone drove it up on a curb, only way I could see all wheels being damaged. Have the suspension inspected as well for damaged.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Ditto this^^ NEW wheels, not repaired. And look those tires over very carefully for blisters or sidewall damage and replace any that aren't mint. Frankly, I'd be done with them given their willingness to sling BS, so I'd have your local dealership do an inspection r.e. frame alignment and any hidden damage (doing an alignment on a car w/ <5k miles smells pretty fishy, like they know s/t happened to it). All of this sounds suspiciously like fraud (at least working hard to keep some significant stuff off the carfax) - mentioning that may help motivate them to do the right thing before it gets escalated up to national where this will come to light.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
saxguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Assuming they fix everything, I'm not confident about the stock wheels and run flats where I live in NJ. The car will be my daily driver (I have the F90 M5 for when I REALLY want to go out and drive). The M5 doesn't have run flats and I've never had an issue with any tire or wheel trouble, even in pot hole infested NJ. Is moving to 17's (Maybe BBS SR and Pilot Sport A/S 3+) a better choice for the northeast?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy View Post
Assuming they fix everything, I'm not confident about the stock wheels and run flats where I live in NJ. The car will be my daily driver (I have the F90 M5 for when I REALLY want to go out and drive). The M5 doesn't have run flats and I've never had an issue with any tire or wheel trouble, even in pot hole infested NJ. Is moving to 17's (Maybe BBS SR and Pilot Sport A/S 3+) a better choice for the northeast?
Yes 100% a better option. Minimal handling compromise in theory but infinitely better handling than bent 18s. The stock Ronal-made wheels are garbage.
Appreciate 0