THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Detailing horror story - old clay/mit

10-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
vancitymike
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Detailing horror story - old clay/mit

I was ready to apply a Gtechniq coatings, I had just completed the decontamination wash and started to use my "surface prep mitt" (which is like a clay bar)

Turns out my mitt, or the 4 year old clay it was next to, have gone bad.
I'm not sure what its from, but I think the rubber from the mitt has broken down to the point where it rubbed off on to my paint. This was a very very bad surprise. It's so freaking difficult to remove....tougher than the worst tree sap... its like emblem glue

I did a bit of damage when I lost my patience, and now need to polish my fender (I hope that will fix the dull paint) luckily I have a dual action...

so here's the lesson - if you have old products, make sure you test them first.

(does anyone know if polishing compound goes bad? mine is a few years old and I'm thinking about replacing everything now)

I think from now on I'm sticking with the clay bar rather than the decontamination mit
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancitymike View Post
...does anyone know if polishing compound goes bad?
Yeah, I've seen them separate.

Best to follow your own newfound wisdom... "when in DOUBT, throw it out!"

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I’ve had bottles of polish P21 and meguiars and griots garage correcting polishes that were probably five years old that still worked and could not discern any degradation in the product even when the cap area turned crusty.
However, fresh products are important. And I am very suspicious of the mitts and regular clay when the age. Though I’ve had clays that I’ve stored with care that I use on wheels or underside that still performed excellent.

The more abrasive the compound the more I would consider a fresh bottle. I’m just afraid the abrasives may harden even in suspension - but for me I’ve never had a product go bad where I felt it damaged paint - even old Zymol carnuba I’m able to melt and get good use out of.
Appreciate 1