THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Fabspeed Sport Cat Fitment Issue

04-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Fabspeed Sport Cat Fitment Issue

So I posted about the label on my Fabspeed sport cat that said it was for the M2 (F87) even though I ordered it for an M235 (F22). Two people mentioned that theirs had the same label but it fit fine on their M235's. I just tried to install the new DP and I can't seem to get the bracket to line up. It's at least a half inch off and the angle seems to be a little off as well. I tried to show this in the picture but it's difficult to tell.

Am I doing something wrong on my end? Can you just manhandle this thing into place? A big problem is that I just don't have much room to move under my car so it's difficult to get my arms in place. Has anyone else had fitment issues with these? I currently have the stock cat off and the front of my car on jack stands in the garage. I'm not far from just putting the stock DP on and taking it to a shop as frustration is really kicking in.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:
Alright, I'm pretty sure I just got a bad part... or the fitment for the M2 and M235 are different? I removed the O2 sensors so that I could move the Sport Cat around freely and try to align it, and it looks as though it is just not built to spec.

First I aligned the mounting bracket (picture 2) and you can see when that is aligned, the large opening that connects to the turbo is significantly misaligned (picture 3).

Then in pictures 3 and 4, you can see how the bracket is misaligned when I align the sport cat openings with the turbo and exhaust pipe. So I can't seem to align the sport cat with the openings and the bracket simultaneously.

It seems as though if I were able to bend the welded bracket downwards it might line up, but I don't want to mangle it with pliers. Looks like I'll have to reach out to Fabspeed on Monday to see if I can exchange or something.

Overall, with all of the amazing reviews for Fabspeed and specifically this sport cat, I have to say this was a very disappointing experience and wasted most of my Saturday.
Attached Images

Last edited by stevemg9; 04-21-2018 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: More Pictures
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I was looking to get one also but reading the reviews, such as yours, got me wary.. check out the link below also...

CEL after Fabspeed sport cat install https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1487955
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #3
m3cmm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

You have me nervous. I just got mine on Thursday and it’s out for install this week (along with other stuff). Mine also had the M2 sticker.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Looks like the angle of the FS DP bracket was welded incorrectly. I'd just bend it with two sets of channel locks and then report your displeasure to FS.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

That DP definitely looks shorter than your OEM unit. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out for you.
      04-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I was looking to get one also but reading the reviews, such as yours, got me wary.. check out the link below also...

CEL after Fabspeed sport cat install https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1487955
It looks like the CEL in this thread was due to an oiled air filter. In the very few threads I read talking about a CEL due to the fabspeed sport cat, it seemed as though fabspeed at least reached out to try to rectify the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3cmm View Post
You have me nervous. I just got mine on Thursday and it’s out for install this week (along with other stuff). Mine also had the M2 sticker.
In my previous post I asked about this right when I got the DP because I planned to install it the same day but wanted some reassurance before I started taking my car apart. Two people responded saying that theirs had the M2 sticker and it fit just fine. I would assume the fitment should be the same since it’s the same engine, but I’m not 100% positive. Maybe others can chime in in this.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488475

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Looks like the angle of the FS DP bracket was welded incorrectly. I'd just bend it with two sets of channel locks and then report your displeasure to FS.
Yeah, I think that’s what happened as well, unfortunately that bracket is tough. I tried to bend it with some pliers this morning and it didn’t budge. Maybe if I had a vice I could do it, but there’s no guarantee that I’ll even be able to bend and twist it properly to fit right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
That DP definitely looks shorter than your OEM unit. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out for you.
Something is definitely off. I just wish I didn’t have to spend hours under my car to realize it. But that’s the plan, I’ll report back once I get a hold of Fabspeed.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Could it be, or it seems the fab cat is used in more then one models engine compartment configuration so there is some simple modifications that need to be made.

U probably need to heat the bracket a bit in order to reshape.

But u know their should be directions indicating all these things if in fact this is the correct cat.

Last edited by overcoil; 04-22-2018 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #8
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Also I noticed that the mounting bracket on the stock DP has a nut welded to it while the Fabspeed DP does not. Can anyone who has installed this before chime in - did you just use the nut from the other stock mounting bracket that is not replicated on the fabspeed DP? I tried to show what I mean in the picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
kilox90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemg9 View Post
Also I noticed that the mounting bracket on the stock DP has a nut welded to it while the Fabspeed DP does not. Can anyone who has installed this before chime in - did you just use the nut from the other stock mounting bracket that is not replicated on the fabspeed DP? I tried to show what I mean in the picture.
I recall responding to your post about fitment and concern over it. The shop I took it to normally tells me if there is any issues as I have ran into several before with previous vehicles. Mine definitely had the m2/f87 sticker on it and I was a bit weary of it but I haven't had any issues.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with fitment. I would contact Fabspeed right away and wouldn't bother trying to force it if you can't. The DP is expensive as it is and shouldn't have any fitment issues for starters. CEL coming on will most likely involve improper installation. I know various people running it and have zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #10
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Phil from Fabspeed here.
Please do not force/bend/heat or change the sport cat in any way. We have sent hundreds of these out and not had an issue.

Please give us a call we will figure this out and figure out how to get this on your vehicle.
We have fixed the CEL from the other post and will have no problem helping you out.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #11
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemg9 View Post
Didn't it come with new bolts? I have a Wagner downpipe but it came with new bolts and nuts. Did you take the brackets off the car when you removed the cat? I put mine on wrong at first and it took me a minute to figure out. One goes on the inside and one on the out side...I had them bolted together on the outside and it made the bracket side off to much.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #12
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
Phil from Fabspeed here.
Please do not force/bend/heat or change the sport cat in any way. We have sent hundreds of these out and not had an issue.

Please give us a call we will figure this out and figure out how to get this on your vehicle.
We have fixed the CEL from the other post and will have no problem helping you out.
I spoke with Brian from Fabspeed earlier today and sent him a link to this thread so that he could see the the pictures. I didn’t bend or heat the cat at all so it is still exactly as I received it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry675 View Post
Didn't it come with new bolts? I have a Wagner downpipe but it came with new bolts and nuts. Did you take the brackets off the car when you removed the cat? I put mine on wrong at first and it took me a minute to figure out. One goes on the inside and one on the out side...I had them bolted together on the outside and it made the bracket side off to much.
No the Fabspeed sport cat that I received did not come with any mounting hardware. It appears to only use one of the two stock mounting locations. And on the stock DP there is a nut welded on to the mounting bracket (pictured) but none on the matching Fabspeed bracket. But I never removed the mounting bracket from the transmission. I didn’t see a need to as I could get the DP in and out without having to do so.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #13
m3cmm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Mine ended up going in without issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Mine ended up going in without issue.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #15
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

-------------------Issue Resolution--------------------------

So I wanted to update this thread based on my experience. I reached out to FabSpeed, and after some back and fourth, I was advised to attempt the install again. I was told that the mounting bracket is welded on in such a way so that the Sport Cat is able to fit both the RWD/AWD and Coupe/Convertible variants. I was told by the guys at FabSpeed to clamp the DP in place at the turbo and exhaust and then try to bend the bracket into place.

Now, in order to do this again, I knew for sure I was not going to attempt this in my garage on jack stands. Not enough room to work under the car, and you really need an extra set of hands. Plus, I knew that I was going to have to mess around with the Sport Cat just to get it to fit right. So after getting some ridiculous quotes from local shops for an install, I found a DIY garage that allows you to rent a bay with lift. They also have just about every tool you can imagine.

For those of you that live in Southeast MI, check out My Mechanics Place in Livonia. The prices are super reasonable, the guys that work there are really nice and extremely helpful, and overall I had a great experience. So if you want to DIY and don't want to deal with crawling under your car, check this place out.

Working under a lift makes life so much better. I was able to get the Sport Cat clamped on to the back of the turbo, and clamped on to the exhaust pipe at the other end. Just as I expected, the mounting bracket was about 1.5" from where it needed to be.

Now, the first time, when I was laying under my car, I was frustrated and attempting to use the bracket to hold the Sport Cat in place while I tried to get the clamps tight - but the DP was not lining up when I put a bolt through the brackets. This is where the extra set of hands really helps. One of the guys that worked at the DIY garage came out and held the Sport Cat in place while I pinched the V-Channel Clamp with some channel locks. From here I was able to get the second clamp (DP->exhaust pipe) on pretty easily.

The first three images show how the mounting bracket was misaligned. In these images, the Sport Cat is is clamped in place at both ends. Honestly with both of the clamps on, I was contemplating just not even trying to bolt the bracket on the DP to the bracket on the transmission. It seemed as though the clamps were holding it in place nicely. But then I figured I'd just try to bend it in place like the guys at Fabspeed said to do. This was a no-go. I could not bend that bracket even with huge pliers.

My solution was to use a nut/bolt and impact wrench to squeeze them together. I found a 3 inch bolt and matching nut, slid the bolt through the holes on both mounting brackets, started the nut on one end then held it with pliers and cranked the hell out of the bolt with an impact wrench. It worked and bent both brackets together. Once the brackets were bent close enough, I removed the 3 inch bolt and replaced it with a more reasonably sized one.

In the last two pictures you can see the final result. You can clearly see the bend in the bracket welded to the Sport Cat. The bracket attached to the transmission bent significantly as well. The only thing that worries me is that with both of those brackets bent, there is a lot of tension. Hopefully it won't cause an issue.

Overall, I realized that this just would not have been possible for me to do without a lift and some air tools. The guys at Fabspeed were right, and the part did fit eventually. It was probably my lack of proper facilities and experience, but from what I read (everyone saying "It fit perfectly") and for $1200, I was expecting a direct-fit part, and this was more like direct-fit*

*With some bending/manhandling required.

So, my experience with FabSpeed was pretty good. They were helpful when I called, but it can be really tough to get a hold of the right person - I played a lot of phone tag. The Sport Cat itself, once it is on, is great. No CEL, noticeable boost in power and sound, improved throttle response. The install for me was a royal pain in the a**, but hey, it was a learning experience.

Hopefully this will help others out there that run into issues with that bracket.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #16
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Great update and pictures and the new fab cat is a great looking piece.
Do you notice any audible or performance improvement with the new setup ?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

That's going to break over time plus the gaskets are now under a lot of torque/tension which they weren't designed for. You shouldn't have to bend parts or compromise them to fit the car. Fabspeed should send you a new DP because the one you have wasn't built correctly in the jig. That's BS, IMO, especially for the what they charge and their claims of a high quality product.

Last edited by XutvJet; 05-08-2018 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 5
Dylan861330.00
akkando5863.00
      05-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #18
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
That's going to break over time plus the gaskets are now under a lot of torque/tension which they weren't designed for. You shouldn't have to bend parts or compromise them to fit the car. Fabspeed should send you a new DP because the one you have wasn't built correctly in the jig. That's BS, IMO, especially for the what they charge and their claims of a high quality product.
Have to agree, here. My measly kitty-less VRSF pipe went in without a hitch. About 1/4 the price? Glad you got it fitted, just monitor the bracket over time, as mentioned, it could be under more stress and be subject to cracking, etc.

These have a lifetime quality guarantee, yea?
      05-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #19
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Great update and pictures and the new fab cat is a great looking piece.
Do you notice any audible or performance improvement with the new setup ?
Yeah, there is a noticeable bump in power and sound. I'll be honest, it's not like "transformational" but it's there. The throttle response is definitely a little sharper and the turbo seems to spool up a little faster. As for sound, right now I have the stock exhaust and plan on getting the MPE eventually. Again, the there is a noticeable increase in sound but it's not what I would call "significant." Louder, more pronounced pops and burbles on downshifts and lifting off the throttle, and a little bit deeper tone. Seems louder at WOT and seems to be more turbo noises as well.

I will admit, that ever since I've put it on, I've been driving with the windows down constantly and it always puts a big smile on my face. It's enough of a difference for me to be excited about. I feel like once I get the MPE I'll have the sound I'm looking for. Sport Cat + MPE seems to be really popular around here.

Quote:
Yeah I was really nervous when I torqued that bolt down. I kept second guessing it, but eventually just left it. That is, after all, what the guys at FabSpeed told me to do - maybe they can chime in with some reassurance?? I don't really want to reinstall a new one, but if the consensus is that the added stress on the DP clamps could lead to failure - then I will definitely swap it out. The other thing that bothers me is that bending that bracket down, is basically pulling the DP away from the back of the turbo - so if anything goes, I think it will be the large clamp on the back of the turbo.

But yeah, for the amount of money I paid, and general positive reviews for FabSpeed and specifically that Sport Cat - I was expecting a much smoother install.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      05-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #20
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Hey Stevemg9,

Glad to see you got everything installed!

We’re sorry you had issues with the install, but unfortunately there’s just too many variables for us to diagnose the issue through these pictures. This is one of our most popular items, we sell over 500 a year, and have never had a fitment issue come up that was not resolved with minor troubleshooting.

I think it would be irresponsible to assign blame on anything – our bracket, the OEM bracket, the install process, the history of your vehicle, the fitment of other parts of your car – without having the car fully checked out by an experienced technician. The bottom-line is we stand by our products 100% and if it happens to break it would absolutely be covered by our Transferable Limited Lifetime Warranty. We have had multiple technicians look over all of the pictures you have provided and they don’t believe there is a cause for concern at this moment, but if anything should happen, just give us a call and we’ll take care of it.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      05-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #21
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
Hey Stevemg9,

We’re sorry you had issues with the install, but unfortunately there’s just too many variables for us to diagnose the issue through these pictures. This is one of our most popular items, we sell over 500 a year, and have never had a fitment issue come up that was not resolved with minor troubleshooting.

I think it would be irresponsible to assign blame on anything – our bracket, the OEM bracket, the install process, the history of your vehicle, the fitment of other parts of your car – without having the car fully checked out by an experienced technician. The bottom-line is we stand by our products 100% and if it happens to break it would absolutely be covered by our Transferable Limited Lifetime Warranty. We have had multiple technicians look over all of the pictures you have provided and they don’t believe there is a cause for concern at this moment, but if anything should happen, just give us a call and we’ll take care of it.
If you stand by your products 100% why wouldn’t you just send him a return label and have him send it back so you could compare it to another one or just replace it? It’s seems to me like you assigned blame by assuming it couldn’t be a problem on your end. To have him torque the shit out of it to bend the bracket in place seems crazy to me. That’s a lot of stress that was put on the turbo getting that to bend. Im assuming he torqued it in place.
Appreciate 2
      05-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #22
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hey Stevemg9,

This is a BS response, IMO. How exactly could there be an issue with his car that would cause this fitment issue?

The OEM downpipe fit all the brackets fine. He installed your downpipe and the bracket no longer fit. To claim his car is the issue is total BS.

How exactly do you define "experienced technician"? Sounds again like a BS, pass it off on the customer, response.

The downpipe setup is incredibly simple on these cars. The fact that the OEM downpipe didn't have this issue and there's clearly no damage or bending of the OEM engine to downpipe bracket is telling that your product is the problem.

You should have sent him another one. The company you've subcontracted with to make these DPs has a QA/QC issue with the bracket angle. Simple as that. The fact that you sell hundreds of them is meaningless. I've read of others having fitment issues and they just make it work.

For nearly $1,500, we should expect more.