THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 230i DINAN Stage 1 Review

01-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

230i DINAN Stage 1 Review

Hi all,

Been meaning to write this up for a while and today's 75 in January in LA car wash and pics gave me a reason to do so.

I have the following parts.

Stage 1 Tune
Exhaust
Shockware Tune
Springs
Handling Kit (bump stops)

Full disclosure. I bought the engine tune. I then volunteered my car to Dinan for development of the exhaust (FOR FREE!) and got a significantly discounted rate on the shockware, springs and bump stops.

First...engine tune. This one is longer because of the install process:

The installation is very straightforward for the most part. Hardest part was figuring out how far down the back yard I needed to go with the keys to get them out of range. The images Dinan provides are pretty good. For some reason my kit didn't come with the actual instructions for the car (all the other booklets were included), but I had my laptop up and resting right next to me to make the process easy. The 4 is a little different than the 6 but the plugs are generally in the same places. For that reason, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as DIY for those who don't know what they're looking at when they open the hood as there are references to different engine components that some may not understand.

That being said, I found it fairly simple. install is pretty quick. Standard BMW trunk battery disconnect process, unplugging and then plugging in tuner, connecting to battery, reconnecting trunk battery, checking for codes (I had none!) and then starting. Biggest pain is that the space between air intake and negative terminal is small. Second biggest pain was resetting clock.

When I first drove the car, I didn't think it did much and it felt as if the difference in power made the minimal lag the car had feel more noticeable. So I used the app to put it into bypass mode (the app is a very nice feature to have!) After a couple days of driving, I think it's adapting and definitely feels better and better. If you've had a VW turbo or a BMW 6 and have tuned it and gotten the standard 50-60 hp bump, you probably won't be a huge fan of this, because it doesn't have that same OMG, kick in the pants bump. That being said, it definitely has more grunt and I think for a warranty matching product it's a pretty good value. In manual mode on the 8AT (and I would think with the manual transmission), you can real feel it pulling harder.

Exhaust:

The exhaust looks and sounds great. Fitment and quality is top notch. Sound is about as good as you can get given this is a 4 banger. It is not excessively loud. I don't have a great sound clip for this...you'll have to rely on Dinan's clip for the 2/3/4 30i.

Name:  Tips 1.jpg
Views: 8918
Size:  648.8 KB

Name:  Tips 2.jpg
Views: 8626
Size:  972.7 KB

Shockware:

This product probably made the biggest impact in feel. It just makes the car feel so much better. The suspension should have come with this from the factory. Really feels planted and dialed in. Much less reverberation/hassled feel on bumpy roads and much crisper in aggressive driving.

Springs and handling kit:

The car definitely feels a bit more planted in corners and the springs really work well with the shockware. The look is a really satisfying factory-esque drop. I'm reminded of the BMW Performance set up I had on my 135i...definitely dropped, but not by any means slammed. Between the shockware and the springs and handling kit, the car performs a hell of a lot better and the ride actually feels better than stock. Much more planted. I'm not thinking or telling it to "sit down" at all any more. Had both of these and the new tint installed at eurocode in Torrance, CA. Very happy with them.

DINAN badge:

Because of the above, I got the vaunted Dinan badge...Not sure if I should stick it on.

Overall, I am really happy with the whole set up. Really wish BMW made the car like this from the get go. With a 6MT, I can only imagine how much fun it would be!

Some more shots:

Name:  Front good sun.jpg
Views: 8613
Size:  959.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5663.jpg
Views: 8630
Size:  737.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5664.jpg
Views: 8542
Size:  854.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5666.jpg
Views: 8689
Size:  686.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5668.jpg
Views: 8685
Size:  768.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5670.jpg
Views: 8460
Size:  777.1 KB

Last edited by Fugly M3; 05-23-2018 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 4
BMWZ41904.00
CSBM52695.50
      01-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Great color and thanks for the review.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Great color and thanks for the review.
Thanks, you too! Midnight Blue was a close second...but a midnight bluish color will be in style again in the next 40 years...brown is about a once in a driving lifetime, so I went with the brown.
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Interesting review, thanks for posting. I did all these mods on my 228i (but did not install the tune myself). Different engine, obviously, but perhaps worthy of comparison.

Peak power/torque for the S1 tune in the 228 is 5500 RPM so you have to step on it to stir the car out of its refined manners but when you do, it really does pick up its skirts and hustle. I agree with you about both the suspension mods and the exhaust. The springs/bumps/Shockware combo has been more transformational for me than the tune; it makes the car's driving dynamics less genteel, with a much more immediate connection to the road, minimal body roll in any axis and a far better feel for traction. I also felt that before I did the suspension mods the car pushed and I hated that. With these mods, it takes corners under load much more like a proper sports car and with a lot less understeer I am no longer having to lift so much. All in all, this combo offers a really good compromise between strong performance and preserving the BMW's refined manners when you are not pushing it.

PS I chose not to mount the DINAN badge. I deleted the reflectors and like the less blingy, "stock plus" appearance of the car, especially with the tints, drop and 20mm spacers all round. On top of those, the badge would make the car look cheap, IMO.
Attached Images

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
BarryJI423.50
      02-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
Chili_Palmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i Estoril Blue 6MT

Very nice, thanks for the write-up. Did Dinan give any indication on when the exhaust will be available for sale?
      02-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili_Palmer View Post
Very nice, thanks for the write-up. Did Dinan give any indication on when the exhaust will be available for sale?
They did not...surprised to see it isn't already.

In any event...just did a 700 mile road trip up to mammoth mountain this weekend. Car ran beautifully. From sea level to 8000 ft and back down at "highway" speeds. Average mpg, based on actual gas pumped not computer, was just a tad above 30!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Great review! I am also considering adding these mods to my 230i. Have you noticed any difference in the gas mileage?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz101 View Post
Great review! I am also considering adding these mods to my 230i. Have you noticed any difference in the gas mileage?
My gas mileage is horrendous; Los Angeles City and freeway driving, 16 mpg if I'm lucky, I guess it's the combination of the S1, my heavy right foot and always having the car in Sport or Sport + mode. I must confess, I am constantly amused by all the folks on this forum who buy these cars, tune them and then carefully measure their fuel consumption.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #10
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
My gas mileage is horrendous; Los Angeles City and freeway driving, 16 mpg if I'm lucky, I guess it's the combination of the S1, my heavy right foot and always having the car in Sport or Sport + mode. I must confess, I am constantly amused by all the folks on this forum who buy these cars, tune them and then carefully measure their fuel consumption.
I hear you. I didn't buy this car for its fuel efficiency, but at the same time I don't want to see a significant increase in my gas expense as it is my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #11
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

The biggest disappointment I have with the BMW 4 cylinders is the fuel economy. On the highway it can be great. See comment in my last post above re road trip fuel economy. However, off the highway, it's terrible. I find I did better in my two N54 6 cylinder cars primarily because I didn't have to floor it quite as much to get the same amount of go. I've also found that driving the auto leads to worse MPG than the stick. Once you're in a gear with a stick, there's more inertia involved in changing it. So you learn to drive at a higher RPM and keep it there. With the auto, you can just mash it any time and spool yourself silly. This, despite the auto being rated for better economy, leads to far worse economy. That's my take.
Appreciate 1
hz101169.50
      05-16-2018, 01:36 AM   #12
SRM/135i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Thanks for the update on the Shockware. I'm new to the forum, thought I'd add my 2 cents. I have a 230i. Installed Dinan springs, bumps, 19" wheels with PS4's, level and lowered looks great but I have to watch dips while turning or there's a rub and Dinantronics Sport tune v. S1. Dyno looked the same and the price was a third, plus no dealer labor. I have to say these mods turned this car into an entirely different/better ride. Felt like a Toyota when I bought it, not enough torque and massive sidewall roll. Now it feels like like my old 2004 Boxster S. Very quick but not fast and firm but can be calm on highway. I'm looking next at the Dinan Shockware, redstuff brake pads (because my pre-owned purchase didn't have the track pkg on it) and exhaust upgrades but I think I'm going Magna flow dual vs. Dinan. I want a dual exhaust. BTW.. I avg. 25mpg and my tune is set to Max boost Race all the time. I get near 35mpg on the highway at 80 mph in comfort mode. Not too shabby. Oh, I also installed the BAVSOUND speakers because the HK's were not included. Expensive, better than stock but not worth the money v. HK's.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 05:39 PM   #13
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Could you do me a solid a take a photo of the wiring layout on the 230i. The nearest installer is a long ways away from me and I want the make sure I install it right since it’s not exactly the same locations for a few of the sensors as depicted in the 240i pictured in the instructions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #14
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
Could you do me a solid a take a photo of the wiring layout on the 230i. The nearest installer is a long ways away from me and I want the make sure I install it right since it’s not exactly the same locations for a few of the sensors as depicted in the 240i pictured in the instructions. Thanks!
I can, but I'm traveling right now. Probably Saturday. It isn't as hard as it seems the wires will generally guide you and there are instructions online. You also can't put the plugs in the wrong receivers, they're like dummy-proof. But, I'll try to get you picture soon!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #15
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Pictures as requested. Hope this helps!

Name:  IMG_7245.jpg
Views: 7576
Size:  278.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7246.jpg
Views: 7470
Size:  243.3 KB

Manifold Pressure Sensor

Name:  IMG_7247.jpg
Views: 7559
Size:  241.8 KB

Intake Camshaft Position Sensor

Name:  IMG_7248.jpg
Views: 7568
Size:  239.8 KB

Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

Name:  IMG_7249.jpg
Views: 7527
Size:  214.1 KB

Charge Pipe Pressure Sensor

Name:  IMG_7250.jpg
Views: 7526
Size:  238.7 KB
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #16
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Hey thanks a lot! Got everything all wired up properly and tucked away everything neatly with some additional matching tubing. Such a difference in performance.
Appreciate 1
Fugly M34905.50
      06-05-2018, 10:49 PM   #17
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks a lot! Got everything all wired up properly and tucked away everything neatly with some additional matching tubing. Such a difference in performance.
You bet! Glad you like it, it's a big difference!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #18
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Looking for some input on an issue I’m having. Installed my second elite kit now after swapping the first one out, and I’m experiencing a sort of flat spot in the tune between 2000 and 3000 rpm. I’ve been working with DINAN on the issue but I’m curious if anyone else is experiencing it. I’m the first to complain about it to them so far.

While accelerating at 50% or greater throttle in any driving mode the car hesitates very quickly about 3 times at approx 2600, 2900, and 3200 rpm. The best way to describe it is like the car had an air bubbles in the fuel line. I was able to capture it in slowmo video on my phone and actually see the RPM needle stop and go back down a fraction of an inch briefly at the mentioned ranges. The car is at about 7000 Miles now and has been well taken care of. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:42 PM   #19
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Looking for some input on an issue I’m having. Installed my second elite kit now after swapping the first one out, and I’m experiencing a sort of flat spot in the tune between 2000 and 3000 rpm. I’ve been working with DINAN on the issue but I’m curious if anyone else is experiencing it. I’m the first to complain about it to them so far.

While accelerating at 50% or greater throttle in any driving mode the car hesitates very quickly about 3 times at approx 2600, 2900, and 3200 rpm. The best way to describe it is like the car had an air bubbles in the fuel line. I was able to capture it in slowmo video on my phone and actually see the RPM needle stop and go back down a fraction of an inch briefly at the mentioned ranges. The car is at about 7000 Miles now and has been well taken care of. Any suggestions would be appreciated
I haven't had this issue, but have been meaning to post that my first module was recently replaced by DINAN after we determined it was the cause of boost pressure sensor lights and occasional resulting limp mode. It was a little bit of painstaking process but they were great.

I've had the new one for a month and recently went to the dealer for service in bypass mode and when I turned it back to stage one the issues reappeared. This time no idrive warning just the cel. Until today when I got the idrive malfunction notification. I am wondering if dealer moved stuff around in the engine compartment and disturbed something. Going to try battery disconnect to see if I can reset the whole thing. I started thinking about it more seriously and the last time the CELs started was a short while after the last maintenance!

Update: battery disconnect seems to work.

Last edited by Fugly M3; 07-01-2018 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #20
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Very interesting. I haven’t had mine in for service yet since I purchased the unit. I’ve had a variety of issues associated with disconnecting the batteries through trouble shooting my issue though. Last time my power steering wouldn’t come on. Repeated the disconnect and then it worked. This last time I got a PdC failure and a chassis stability control failure but both cleared with a quick lap around the block and I was able to clear the fault codes from memory. Given that you are having boost issues, I’m wondering if my flat spots aren’t also due to a very abrupt drop in boost pressure at those ranges. The more I drive it the worse it seems to be getting, when I would expect it to be the other way around. Keep me posted on what you find out. I’m expecting to have mine in eventually for the development car program so hopefully they can provide more insight with hands on testing
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 08:05 AM   #21
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Very interesting. I haven't had mine in for service yet since I purchased the unit. I've had a variety of issues associated with disconnecting the batteries through trouble shooting my issue though. Last time my power steering wouldn't come on. Repeated the disconnect and then it worked. This last time I got a PdC failure and a chassis stability control failure but both cleared with a quick lap around the block and I was able to clear the fault codes from memory. Given that you are having boost issues, I'm wondering if my flat spots aren't also due to a very abrupt drop in boost pressure at those ranges. The more I drive it the worse it seems to be getting, when I would expect it to be the other way around. Keep me posted on what you find out. I'm expecting to have mine in eventually for the development car program so hopefully they can provide more insight with hands on testing
Come to think of it...when I have those issues and the CELs go on it's when the car isn't being pushed and is probably somewhere around 1500-3000 rpm! Always happens in moderate traffic, never under boost. The codes are usually low boost iirc.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #22
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
I got another slomo video today and you can see it drop multiple times. No CEL though. Happens most prevelantly when I let off the gas in 3rd or 4th gear and coast until at 2000rpm and then smoothly increase pressure on the pedal until it’s 50-60% throttle. As it hits 2600 the blips start happening every couple hundred until 3400.
Appreciate 0