THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning vrsf chargepipe intercooler leak

04-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
matt.f22
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i 16’

Hey what's up guys. Alright so I had a vrsf chargepipe installed a while back on my stock intercooler. It worked great after getting the figment right. Now I installed the vrsf race intercooler 7 inch, and it seems to be loose at the intercooler side i've taken it apart an put back on 3 times now an it seems like it's even worse then before. All o rings are installed properly to my knowledge, but it seems real loose on the intercooler side. Could the o ring be upside down ? Is my c clip bad ? The car runs fine till I hit high boost then hella air woosh an lost power (obviously leaking) if I really step on it it kinda sounds like its fluttering then dies out. It also shuts off on idle and it has never done that. I'm thinking it's the intercooler never had a problem before. Seems looser then normal. Please Let me know if you can help thanks!

Edit : Cars does not shut off at idle , I hit my auto off button on accident haha
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Strange man, that connection had to be one of the biggest PITA's for me, had to actually use a bit of oil on the ring just to help get everything on. Been on and strong for about two years now.

Disclaimer, VRSF charge pipe and VRSF Race IC (first gen)

Last edited by Dylan86; 04-06-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
este
N54 to N55
Rep
Drives: e92 335i (sold) / M235i 6mt

Got the same setup, I’ve also felt like I have a small leak at high boost and a tiny idle fluctuations when I come to a stop. No check engine lights. Probably not the Oring as the one near the throttle bottle goes in either way and the one near the bottom will sit obviously wrinkled incorrect if it’s backwards. Could a bad c clip cause a leak? Maybe it’s the silicone piece where the two cp pieces connect. I have to actually get in there and look haven’t had the chance.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by este View Post
Got the same setup, I’ve also felt like I have a small leak at high boost and a tiny idle fluctuations when I come to a stop. No check engine lights. Probably not the Oring as the one near the throttle bottle goes in either way and the one near the bottom will sit obviously wrinkled incorrect if it’s backwards. Could a bad c clip cause a leak? Maybe it’s the silicone piece where the two cp pieces connect. I have to actually get in there and look haven’t had the chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.f22 View Post
Hey what's up guys. Alright so I had a vrsf chargepipe installed a while back on my stock intercooler. It worked great after getting the figment right. Now I installed the vrsf race intercooler 7 inch, and it seems to be loose at the intercooler side i've taken it apart an put back on 3 times now an it seems like it's even worse then before. All o rings are installed properly to my knowledge, but it seems real loose on the intercooler side. Could the o ring be upside down ? Is my c clip bad ? The car runs fine till I hit high boost then hella air woosh an lost power (obviously leaking) if I really step on it it kinda sounds like its fluttering then dies out. It also shuts off on idle and it has never done that. I'm thinking it's the intercooler never had a problem before. Seems looser then normal. Please Let me know if you can help thanks!

Edit : Cars does not shut off at idle , I hit my auto off button on accident haha
Have you guys done anything to try and remedy the issue? I feel I might be in the same situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
Mr235
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

I've been dealing with this same issue for months now. Sent an email with this video to VRSF today, hoping they respond and own up to it with intentions of resolving. I've replaced the o-ring and had this pipe off at least 10 times making sure it isn't installer error. On a good note, I may be the fastest now at pulling and installing this pain in my ass pipe!

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #6
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
A bit of play is absolutely normal, please keep in mind the o-ring creates the seal between the two aluminum components. This isn't an issue we were able to replicate in-house but I'll be more than happy to assist anyone who's having issues with our products. Please feel free to PM or e-mail us and we'll make sure you're taken care of ASAP.

OP you have a PM
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      06-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #7
Mr235
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
A bit of play is absolutely normal, please keep in mind the o-ring creates the seal between the two aluminum components. This isn't an issue we were able to replicate in-house but I'll be more than happy to assist anyone who's having issues with our products. Please feel free to PM or e-mail us and we'll make sure you're taken care of ASAP.

OP you have a PM
I've been emailing you for a while now and you've not really helped me with this problem. My charge pipe clearly doesn't seal up like the stock pipe in my video below, hardly any movement. Once I get time I'm going to mic the opening of both charge pipes, showing the difference in size, will do leak test and take a video. Will send these to you via email, hopefully you will fix the problem Since changing out the vrsf for the stock car is back to running great.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #8
Mr235
United_States
Rep

Quote:

OP you have a PM
I've been emailing you for a while now and you've not really helped me with this problem. My charge pipe clearly doesn't seal up like the stock pipe in my video below, hardly any movement. Once I get time I'm going to mic the opening of both charge pipes, showing the difference in size, will do leak test and take a video. Will send these to you via email, hopefully you will fix the problem Since changing out the vrsf for the stock car is back to running great.

Last edited by Mr235; 06-20-2019 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:00 PM   #9
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr235 View Post
Movement has no correlation to a leak. The rubber o-ring is what seals the metal on metal connection. If we offered a chargepipe with a connection as tight as the OEM it would crack due to expansion. There are plenty of documented cases with other brands of chargepipes that have cracked at the flange due to the tolerances being too close to each other at the throttle body or intercooler.

I'll open up a couple sets tomorrow and pressure test them to confirm there isn't an issue with the latest batch. If there is an issue, we'll be more than happy to provide you with a solution ASAP
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:14 PM   #10
Mr235
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Movement has no correlation to a leak. The rubber o-ring is what seals the metal on metal connection. If we offered a chargepipe with a connection as tight as the OEM it would crack due to expansion. There are plenty of documented cases with other brands of chargepipes that have cracked at the flange due to the tolerances being too close to each other at the throttle body or intercooler.

I'll open up a couple sets tomorrow and pressure test them to confirm there isn't an issue with the latest batch. If there is an issue, we'll be more than happy to provide you with a solution ASAP
You think testing the ones you currently have confirms that ours aren't faulty?lol
Why don't you send me one you can confirm doesn't leak and I will gladly mail this thing back to you. How bout that?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #11
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Each chargepipe undergoes a few steps of QC before they see the inside of a VRSF box. We start with a precise measurement of each o-ring groove to ensure they are within spec. We then pressure test each unit on a jig which utilizes both the OEM FMIC connector along with the OEM TB in order to guarantee a proper seal. Once the seal is confirmed, we then use another jig to ensure proper alignment/fitment and then one final QC check is done before these see the inside of a VRSF box.

We have a few hundred of the newest F30 N55 chargepipe on the market and any popular vendor on this forum can confirm that there isn't one confirmed fitment issue with the latest revision.

Before assuming your charge pipe has a seal issue, the first recommendation would be to check the meth bung plugs. They ship loose and the average installer may overlook this and forget to tighten the meth bung plugs prior to installing the CP. If the meth bung plugs are tight, the next place to look would be the t-bolt clamps. Please make sure they're placed directly after the beads of the tubing in order to ensure a proper seal. If you're throwing codes after checking the two options, the next possible solution would be to run a boost leak test or a smoke test to figure out the source of your leak. This is assuming you're throwing codes and actually have a boost leak. Speculating that you could potentially have a leak at any connection point because of a bit of wiggle at the connection is silly unless you have proof that the connection is actually leaking which would be a tolerance issue, not a wiggle issue.

In either case, we'll be more than happy to pressure test the chargepipe for you if you don't have the capability of testing it yourself. The last thing we want is an unhappy VRSF customer

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 06-20-2019 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #12
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Strange man, that connection had to be one of the biggest PITA's for me, had to actually use a bit of oil on the ring just to help get everything on. Been on and strong for about two years now.

Disclaimer, VRSF charge pipe and VRSF Race IC (first gen)
To be honest we often get complaints about the connection being too tight rather than too loose. 99% of the time a customer has a loose connection at the FMIC it ends up being due to the fact that they neglected to transfer the o-ring from their old charge pipe to the new charge pipe.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      06-25-2019, 06:01 AM   #13
Alpine2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i (AW), '12 E70 (AW)

The O-ring that sits where the intercooler/chargepipe o-ring is directional.

No one ever seems to mention this..but if that o-ring is not installed in the correct orientation it will leak.

Ask me how I know.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 12:23 AM   #14
BM235iW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black Sapphire M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine2 View Post

No one ever seems to mention this..but if that o-ring is not installed in the correct orientation it will leak.

Ask me how I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine2 View Post

Ask me how I know.
I assumed the seal at the charge pipe to FMIC connection is directional. Unfortunately I'm not able to find any documentation/pictures of the correct orientation of the seal. Is there any chance you or someone else could locate the instruction or pictures?
Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Bmw diy guy - got it covered

Start watching at 20 min .
It is amazing how a product can be delivered without detailed instruction -- Go Figure.
Appreciate 0