THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics iDrive NO SIGNAL message

11-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
SteveSFO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 Long Beach Blue

iDrive NO SIGNAL message

Anyone out there having this issue? All of a sudden, the sound system will go dead and a NO SIGNAL is displayed. Either turning off and back on the head unit will restore things to normal with a POP sound OR will automatically re-boot itself. It has happened once in a while (4 times so far over a year).
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
moltenfire
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII Coral Red

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Yes I've had that issue as well. About 2-3 times since January 2015. Seems like the iDrive just kernel panicked and rebooted by itself. I just took the car to my dealer for its first scheduled maintenance and they updated the software. Let's see if it happens again.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
I had the "No Signal" message on the iDrive screen this morning. It occurred with power applied after using Comfort Access to enter the vehicle. Turned the car off and on with no result and the system did not reboot on its own. Did a quick search and found a long thread in the F30 forum about this.

Tried the fix someone suggested: hold down the radio button for 30 seconds. The unit will re-boot and operation will return to normal.

This is the first time this has occurred in a year, so I'll watch out for it. I found 4 more short threads in 2addicts about this, but way more occurrences in the F30. I'm not sure a fix was determined. Anyone else getting this? Any fix?
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
moltenfire
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII Coral Red

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Since my last post, I can't recall the last time I got a NO SIGNAL. At least in 2017 I haven't had that issue again. But my iDrive is an older version than the iDrive in 2017 cars.
Appreciate 1
RotorOver295.50
      06-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
I had this happen this morning. Turning the car off and on did not clear the condition. However, driving away from my house caused iDrive to come back online. I also noticed my phone wasn't getting WiFi while in my driveway, which it normally does. So I suspect something was up with WiFi or Apple CarPlay that caused the system to hang...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
I had this happen this morning. Turning the car off and on did not clear the condition. However, driving away from my house caused iDrive to come back online. I also noticed my phone wasn't getting WiFi while in my driveway, which it normally does. So I suspect something was up with WiFi or Apple CarPlay that caused the system to hang...
How long was it offline? I have this happen to me like once every 2 months or so. My understanding is that something just causes iDrive to reboot and the display shows "No Signal" while it's offline. Always comes back on in 1-3 minutes for me. I asked the BMW service guys about it and they said essentially that - something must be causing an iDrive error and it reboots to correct the issue. They said they would have to go through the entire system to try to diagnose the issue and that none of the iDrive stuff is covered under my CPO warranty so I just deal with it. I also have the ASD bypass installed on the amp and I know they would try to tell me that was the problem even though I experienced this issue long before I installed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #7
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemg9 View Post
How long was it offline?
About 2 minutes. My car is completely stock (with premium pack and H/K audio).
Appreciate 0