THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Invest In Sound, Performance, Or A Mix Of Both?

05-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
pashad13
Pasha Dastmalchi
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe 8 Spd Auto

Invest In Sound, Performance, Or A Mix Of Both?

Hi, I am currently driving a 2019 M240i Coupe 8 Spd Auto. I am just on the verge of modifying my car but am in conflict as to whether I should be spending my money on sound or performance.

My 3 current routes with where I can go are:

1) Invest in sound: Dinan Midpipe ($500), Dinan Free Flow Exhaust ($1,430) - (total of $1,930)

or

2) Invest in performance: Injen intake, VRSF downpipe, CSF FMIC, FTP charge pipe, BM3 Stage 2 (All amounts to about $2,150)

orrrr, go with a blend of both

3) Dinan Midpipe ($500), MPE ($940), BM3 Stage 1 ($645) - (total of $2,095)

My thing is that I feel as if the car stock is already sufficiently powerful. I mean the boost and torque put a smile on my face as is. I am just bummed about how the sound quality does not match the power quality...

I am already spending a couple more g's to get an M performance diffuser painted alpine white, a PSM style spoiler, polypropylene M performance style lip, window/windshield tint, and wrapping the roof, mirrors, lip, and center-bottom piece of the diffuser all carbon fiber.

So what do you guys think: go all in for the Dinan combo badass sound, go all in for performance and take it up to roughly 440 HP, or get a slight combo of both with the Dinan midpipe and a BM3 stage 1 flash to get it to roughly 395 HP?

Thank you, and regardless of which of the 3 options i go with, I will post pictures once the CF wrapping, tint, and the lip/diffuser/spoiler are all complete![/B]

Last edited by pashad13; 05-30-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
BPAC306
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240I X

BM3 stage 2, MPE, high flow cat

You will want the stock midpipe with the mpe and high flow cat. Perfect sound in my own opinion - aggressive without being too loud.

Think about it. As soon as you have stage one you will want stage 2 after a few months because it's available ... everyone wants more eventually.

Tell ya what, I'll trade you mid pipes. I have a stock stainless modified version without resonators- professionally welded. I would like the stock version back

12.3 @ 108 Stock
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:57 PM   #3
petrosexxual
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW ///M240i 6MT EB-II

Option 3 sounds most ideal. You get power and sound! Ideally Full Exhaust(midpipe or res delete) + Hiflo/Catless Cat + Tune is the way to go. Just depends on your sound tolerance, currently I have a full AWE exhaust, which seems to be louder than MPE or DINAN. However, I want to upgrade to a Hiflo Cat or Catless and go BM3, Stage 2. I personally think the car would be far too loud for others, less so myself. The car is much louder outside than inside, just based on reactions from drivers.
SOLD: 1999 BMW M3 |ESTORIL BLUE - DOVE GREY
IG: @petro.sexual
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 11:08 PM   #4
pashad13
Pasha Dastmalchi
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe 8 Spd Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrosexxual View Post
Option 3 sounds most ideal. You get power and sound! Ideally Full Exhaust(midpipe or res delete) + Hiflo/Catless Cat + Tune is the way to go. Just depends on your sound tolerance, currently I have a full AWE exhaust, which seems to be louder than MPE or DINAN. However, I want to upgrade to a Hiflo Cat or Catless and go BM3, Stage 2. I personally think the car would be far too loud for others, less so myself. The car is much louder outside than inside, just based on reactions from drivers.
Definitely agree with all that, that’s actually what I ended up doing. Kept the stock muffler because honestly it produces a great note, just lacks volume. So i ended up getting a Dinan midpipe, VRSF catless downpipe, and purchased BM3 Stage 2. I feel like that’s the best bang for your buck—increased sound/volume and power/performance. Just looking to get an intake before I go fully in to stage 2! (was thinking of getting an FMIC and charge pipe but from what i’m reading, the intercooler and charge pipes on the 2019 m240i are sufficient enough to handle the extra boost)

Would love to hear a sound clip of your AWE exhaust if you have one
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Is the car RWD? If so, going the performance route will be a waste with the power having nowhere to go. Get the M Performance LSD first and foremost if you care about real "performance." It will actually drive and behave like a sports car afterwards.

Then, after that, evaluate if the car needs more power. I personally find the car has more than enough for my street and track needs. I don't ever plan to modify my powertrain, but that's just me.

You can do a resonator delete/straight mid-pipe and you will get 90% of the benefit of a full exhaust. The stock exhaust sounds great, but it's just a bit too quiet. A simple resonator delete fixes that and really wakes up the car for minimal cost. The MPE is a great economical choice as well if you must do the full exhaust.

New wheels and tires will go a long way as well if you add power or push handling limits on the track. For stock power and only street driving, however, the LSD is a better use of $. Just my opinion.

Good luck!
      06-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Get Sound, ............... and performance!
      06-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #7
petrosexxual
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW ///M240i 6MT EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashad13 View Post
Definitely agree with all that, that’s actually what I ended up doing. Kept the stock muffler because honestly it produces a great note, just lacks volume. So i ended up getting a Dinan midpipe, VRSF catless downpipe, and purchased BM3 Stage 2. I feel like that’s the best bang for your buck—increased sound/volume and power/performance. Just looking to get an intake before I go fully in to stage 2! (was thinking of getting an FMIC and charge pipe but from what i’m reading, the intercooler and charge pipes on the 2019 m240i are sufficient enough to handle the extra boost)

Would love to hear a sound clip of your AWE exhaust if you have one
I think the combination you did seems perfect! The AWE is quite loud, especially if I went VRSF catless. Being that my car is Estoril Blue and my right foot has a mind of it's own..I was thinking of going something more subtle, like your setup, also delivering additional horsepower.

I have seen that the intercooler and charge pipes are quite sturdy running stock turbo boost thresholds, however, the B58s are still pretty new. Time will only tell...

I do have some terrible Iphone quality videos for you:

Burnout/Takeoff

Run from 1st-2nd:

There are much better videos out there on youtube. What's missing from these videos is the crazy pops/bangs on overrun, sometimes like a shotgun(AWESOME)
SOLD: 1999 BMW M3 |ESTORIL BLUE - DOVE GREY
IG: @petro.sexual

Last edited by petrosexxual; 06-07-2019 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 02:51 AM   #8
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

i would choose option 2

donwpipe alone gives you a better sound then only the midpipe and intake alone
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Both, get BM3 + REMUS exhaust . I bet Extreme Power House can offer you an unbeatable package deal

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0