THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Steering Wheel Vibration

05-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Steering Wheel Vibration

Well before I got the new wheels I had replaced the RF with some price friendly tires since I was not thinking on keeping the car. I started having the steering vibration issue with the OEM wheels

So I got new wheels which had been rebalanced 3 times including the initial one and was still getting the steering vibration. This happened when the temperature was cooler but decreased on hotter temperatures.

I kind of figured out that has to be the cheapo tires so took out the Credit Card and bought 4 Continental Contact A/S. The ride feels different and no steering vibration so far ... but have not driven the car since then

Could cheapo tires really cause the vibration?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Yes.
Well it looks like is not the tires ...

Is doing it again!

Next thing would be the new wheels. But I had 19" wheels and up to 9.5 wide on other cars and not had this steering wheel vibration issue.

Had an issue like this back in the early 90s but at that time they didn't do dynamic balance. I'm getting to get frustrated.

Any one with this issue or know what it can be creating it?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Which wheels brand did you get ?

Who did the install and balance on the new wheels ? Some shops due to equipment and personal don't do balance well. If you can take a look inside onto the barrel (inner portion ) of wheel and note the location and length of the wheel weights. If you see wheel weight at two separate locations on the wheel, most likely a poorly done balance.

If you can move the wheels front to back (square set up) and vibration moves from steering wheel to feeling in the seat of the car you know it's then the wheel that was relocated.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

DR-37 18x8, yeah they are not VMR wheels ….

It only has weights (not a big amount) on the inside, not the outside of the wheels ...

Discount Tire has installed and balanced the wheels/tires

It just baffles me that a shop like that cannot get a balance correct unless is more to the issue ...

Last edited by paposalsa; 05-13-2019 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep

there might be more

does the vibration occur both on the brakes and off the brakes ? or does mild brake application or harder brake application lessen or worsen the vibration ?

At what speed does the vibration occur / and does increasing speed or reducing speed make the vibration go away?

Some tires will temporarily flat spot when sitting and use will gradually soften the tires till vibrations go away.

Also, right front wheel can take a beating from curbs and cause alignment or suspension issue.

Last edited by overcoil; 05-13-2019 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
there might be more

does the vibration occur both on the brakes and off the brakes ? or does mild brake application or harder brake application lessen or worsen the vibration ?

At what speed does the vibration occur / and does increasing speed or reducing speed make the vibration go away?
It does not occurs at all while braking or at low speeds. The vibration start at around 45/50 and it goes away around 60 mph. But I still can feel a slight vibration until around 70 …

Everyway that I looked it states that unbalanced tires/wheels will cause vibration starting at 45/60 and goes away at higher speeds …
Appreciate 0