THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Newbie, coding, and warranty

04-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
russw1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 F23 228i convertible

Newbie, coding, and warranty

I have a 2016 228i convertible and I'm interested in doing a bit of coding after scouring all of the guides and helps here and other BMW sites. My question is simple: does coding void the manufacturer's warranty in any way? I know this has been touched upon elsewhere and that there is a court ruling supporting the customer's right to code, but as of today, may I code without the possibility of voiding the warranty?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
jb606
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 430i xDrive

The coding itself shouldn't cause a problem at the dealership. Now if you mess up coding the car (example mix up code and code fdl) the dealership (BMW) won't cover the fix under warranty.
      04-26-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
All you're doing when coding is turning features on or off that are already in the car. You're not altering any code, per se. Some items get the values changed (such as the logo in the lower center of the instrument panel), but you're not altering the manufacturer's code. There is no justification for "voiding" the car's warranty - you're not going to be denied warranty work on a transmission if you code door unlocking at engine shutdown, for example.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
russw1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 F23 228i convertible

Okay

Thanks for the information. I now better understand what coding means. It is a pity BMW doesn't add a lot of these options to their settings menu. Now, on to a clean coding session.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I actually had one of the technical editors from ROUNDEL magazine (BMW CCA club mag) tell me that coding something like "fold mirrors at door lock/unlock" could wear out the mirror motors and might cause warranty replacement to be denied. I asked him why, if that were true, did BMW put that feature in the car? No answer to that one. You'll find some folks adverse to feature coding but most are not.

Getting into the engine's ECU is a whole new ballgame, though, and is best left to the experts. Use E-Sys 3.27, the launcher from Tokenmaster, and the latest PSDZDATA "lite" (all that's required for feature coding; the full version is only needed for engine tuning) and you'll be good to go.

If you've not done this before, be sure to read the guide. I prefer to connect to the car, grab the ECU coding data for the modules you'll be changing (usually KOMBI, FEM_BODY, and HU-NBT2) and save each file, disconnect from the car, make my changes, then re-connect and push the updated data back into the modules. That way you don't have to sit there with the car running or draining the battery while you hunt down the items you want to change.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
Null_0
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

coded F30/still under warranty/70K checkup

Greetings,
I have coded with carly, and now I am going to take the car in for warranty. I wanted to know if anyone had their car denied. I am thinking or resetting everything and clearing the logs. Or can i just take it in. I am hoping someone experienced this and wanted to know their experience.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #7
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null_0 View Post
Greetings,
I have coded with carly, and now I am going to take the car in for warranty. I wanted to know if anyone had their car denied. I am thinking or resetting everything and clearing the logs. Or can i just take it in. I am hoping someone experienced this and wanted to know their experience.

Thanks in advance.
If you are taking the car in for general service I wouldn't worry about removing the coding. However, if you are having a specific issue with a component such as the radio unit or perhaps the mirror, you may want to remove the coding to keep the dealer from seeing the coding and then putting that on your permanent service record which could make future warranty issues problematic for coverage.

Sold: 19 x3 30i X drive, 18 230i X drive Convertible
18 x3, 30i X drive 16 428i Convertible, 16 X1 X drive, 14 i3 Rex, 14 328i, 14 x1 28i X drive, 08 328i, 03 M5, 99 323i Convertible, 00 z3 M Roadster, 99 328i, 00 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null_0 View Post
Greetings,

Thanks in advance.
I've had numerous warranty issues with my '17 M240Xi, and I have coded quite a few things in my car. The only response the dealer and staff has giving me is, "holy shit, how did you get the car to do that. That's really cool."

I've since convinced a few of their staff to use Bimmercode to code and customize their own BMW's. The Asst. Mgr of service was excited to get his M3 to do all the cool things I made mine do. They seemed most impressed by the "M" animation screen and the folding mirrors when locking the car.

I'm sure it may differ by dealership, but when it comes down to it, none of the general coding is really going to effect anything that may be a warranty issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

You won't be denied warranty for a problem if it wasn't directly related to the coding itself. I've had my car in for warranty work on the driver seat, iDrive screen, radio, squeaking, creaking, etc. and never was there any mention of the coding. They did reset everything to factory default three times when I had issues with my screen and radio though so I had to recode.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #10
Null_0
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Thanks everyone for the advice! I have taken the car in and did reset to the backup, however didnt clear the logs. I have until October of this year for warranty to be up so will take it in with all the coding that i am about to do next week with E-Sys. Looking forward to learning more about this world. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0