THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics hifi system component vs. coax

05-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

hifi system component vs. coax

I understand that in the US Hifi system, to get tweeters in the door, you need to order the HK sail kit, after reading a ton of the threads in here, my question is a little different.

Are people preferring to go Coax for replacing the door speakers in the HiFi system due to the easier install (not having to add door sail, mount the cross-over, tapping into wiring)...or is the sound difference of adding the higher tweeters really that negligible as opposed to going with a decent coax setup like the Morels?

I see the popular combo is Eton B100W in the front, and JBL's in the back.

The Etons look like they are a component setup with separate tweeters, yet lots of threads recommend the Morel Maximo or Focal ISC100...is it once again, due to the easier install..or is the sound quality that similar between not having a dedicated sail mounted tweeter?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

The components are usually more money as well as more work to install, so people may take the coax route.
I skipped buying the HK tweeter kit saving $130. The Focals look good to me in my custom flush mount in the existing sail. I like having the tweeter up higher and do notice the difference in my cars with the them up higher on the A-pillar. It's hard to say how much better it is than the same coax set up because I never heard that one. Probably not a huge difference. The bigger benefit will come from ditching the stock speakers.
The HK sails do allow the tweeters to point back toward the driver better. That may add some benefit in addition to being up higher towards ear-level.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen235 View Post
The components are usually more money as well as more work to install, so people may take the coax route.
I skipped buying the HK tweeter kit saving $130. The Focals look good to me in my custom flush mount in the existing sail. I like having the tweeter up higher and do notice the difference in my cars with the them up higher on the A-pillar. It's hard to say how much better it is than the same coax set up because I never heard that one. Probably not a huge difference. The bigger benefit will come from ditching the stock speakers.
The HK sails do allow the tweeters to point back toward the driver better. That may add some benefit in addition to being up higher towards ear-level.
Got any pics of your custom install? Are you saying you mounted the full 4" focal in the sail area?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
pbb911
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240ix

The Eton B100XW is the coax version of the B100W. I recently got a pair of them with a pair of the recommended B100XHP crossovers for about $260 total. Easy install, didn't have to mess with the sails, big improvement.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb911 View Post
The Eton B100XW is the coax version of the B100W. I recently got a pair of them with a pair of the recommended B100XHP crossovers for about $260 total. Easy install, didn't have to mess with the sails, big improvement.
Interesting, I did look at those as well.

Currently its about $300 total for B100w set and sail units from what I have found online in deals.

$260 is a better price, Im just curious if the Etons are really $100+ better than a set of morels at $80 for a pair (coax) plus the BMW speaker cable adapters and spacers (maybe another $50 total), or if people favor those because of OEM mount, cable connections, and german brand.
Appreciate 0