THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Brake rotor replacement opinions

08-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Brake rotor replacement opinions

Hey everyone,

Looking for a bit of input for some replacement rotors. I can get some powerstop drilled slotted for pretty cheap on all 4 corners or go with some OEM replacements for probably just the front 2(I need to measure the other 3). I of course think slotted and drilled looks better, but after reading they seem to be prone to making more noise (and obviously cracks, but I don't do any hard driving really) Does anyone have any experience going from blanks to drilled/slotted on this platform or period? If I go blanks I would stay OEM with 2 piece rotors, if not I would go full cast.

Little Backstory below;

I have had an issue with my drivers front wheel clicking and a persistent squeal at low speed that worsens when cold and/or wet, when I purchased the car CPO they put brand new OEM pads on and I didn't have an issue for about 4 months then the squeal started. I have since replaced the OEM pads due to excessive brake dust with some powerstop ceramics that I really like, however after bedding the noise still persists. When I would re-bed the noises would come back after a day or two. I noticed that the pad wasn't making full contact and I think I had a glazing/pad transfer issue, I learned the hard way that you have to be a bit hard on the pedal to avoid that. I took the rotor off which was an absolute pain in the ass because the rotor screw was stripped and the metal was not as soft as I expected when drilling it out. I got that rotor turned and to my surprise it was at like 28.7mm and after cutting just a tiny bit it is close to min thickness (28.4mm iirc) so I am looking to replace. I do notice today that the pad is making even contact across the rotor and I have not heard any noises *YET*. Since my car has less than 25k miles and that rotor screw was stripped I assume it had already cut, because if not that seems to be an obscene amount of wear on the rotor. Anybody else have the same kind of issues?

Sorry about the long winded post lol
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

I wouldn't do drilled..... if you can do just slotted maybe yes but else just do OEM
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Got a link to the powerstop ones you are referring to? I'm thinking of replacing mine soon too.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #4
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalazeeass View Post
Got a link to the powerstop ones you are referring to? I'm thinking of replacing mine soon too.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...hub,rotor,1896

The top two in the "performance" section, price is per rotor.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #5
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
I wouldn't do drilled..... if you can do just slotted maybe yes but else just do OEM
I'm personally leaning OEM, I hate excessive brake noise and I can see cross drilled giving more problems. Doesn't look like slotted options are good value.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

I used to have plain, drilled and slotted StopTech rotors on a different car. Funny thing is the plain rotors worked best.
The squealing I had was always with mismatched pads (track & sport pads with street driving), never was an issue with the pads designed for the street, though (they used to make Street Performance kind, those were the best for the street).
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
drodrig2
Rep
Drives: m235i

I had powerstop rotors with Hawk pads on my last car (Acura RSX type S) for 5 plus years. The powerstop rotors stayed shinny (never got surface rust) and gave the car a more performance look. The stopping power was more linear and improved, but i think that was due to the Hawk pads. The powerstop rotors did make a slight "ticking" noise when pressing the brakes between 0 to 40 MPH. Sounded like a poker card attached to a bike wheel sound. I am planning to install the same setup on my M235i once I need brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #8
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodrig2 View Post
I had powerstop rotors with Hawk pads on my last car (Acura RSX type S) for 5 plus years. The powerstop rotors stayed shinny (never got surface rust) and gave the car a more performance look. The stopping power was more linear and improved, but i think that was due to the Hawk pads. The powerstop rotors did make a slight "ticking" noise when pressing the brakes between 0 to 40 MPH. Sounded like a poker card attached to a bike wheel sound. I am planning to install the same setup on my M235i once I need brakes.
Yea that ticking seems to be the most commonly reported noise from the slotted/drilled rotors, I already have a clicking noise when turning and going straight at low speeds. Think there's a TSB for it due to lack of friction between rotor/hub. I'm not in a big rush to get new rotors yet, but I'm also not planning to skimp on maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #9
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Pilenga Rotors

2 Piece OEM Rotors - Excellent Deal over how much more the BMW stamp will cost you.
Check them out at ECS Tuning.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Another option I found, not a bad price. This is probably the closest thing to the OEM mperf rotors, although this one is one piece.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/B...106797602.html
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 06:16 AM   #11
Heitzer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i; BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
Another option I found, not a bad price. This is probably the closest thing to the OEM mperf rotors, although this one is one piece.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/B...106797602.html
Zimmerman is an established, low cost brand in Germany with solid reputation. Their products are certified by the German TÜV which should help (very tough testing agency)
https://www.otto-zimmermann.de/en/oe.../material.html

The quality of Zimmermann discs have been discussed in German Forums. General consensus is that they are ok to use instead of OEM. Issues with drilled rotors were noted but that's the usual drilled rotor issue I think. And not using them with aggressive pads was another recommendation.

For the price not a bad choice it seems.

I am looking at the Stoptech slotted rotors.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #12
kthor703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Just wanted to add a data point. Most of the OEM replacement options are 1-2 lbs heavier than the factory BMW rotors, since most are 1 piece cast. The factory ones have a welded hat I believe. Not significant, but something to keep in mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #13
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

I will just throw this in here, I just ordered a set of Pilenga rotors from partsgeek:

https://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/br...bmw/m235i.html
Seems Pilenga is the OEM manufacturer for the M performance rotors as it is (both 340mm and 370mm)

I got my rotors a couple days back, and they look exactly like the BMW M performance ones, even the 2 piece aluminum hub. All for a fraction of the cost, I paid about 150ish for fronts each, and rears are 130 each.
      05-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #14
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

For track or very hard driving, plain rotors are best. On the street it likely won't ever be an issue, but if any make noise it will be the drilled or slotted (vs. plain). I can certainly see going with the cosmetic look, but wouldn't spend a lot for it. I don't think factory rotors have much meat on them these days, and with TCS working through the brakes you get a lot more wear than in the old days. the dealer 'resurfaced' my rears by about .001, but I'm sure if I was out of warranty they'd have told me these aren't serviceable and always need replacement (I think I was .0025 thicker than the limit before the resurface).

fcpEuro has pretty good prices, and a lifetime replacement, w/OEM and equivalent quality parts. I would strongly discourage using super-discount aftermarket brake parts. I would also encourage you to get your hubs (or the new rotor setup) checked on a machine to ensure the hubs are true - if there is a little wobble it can give you that clicking, as well as wearing oddly. This often produces pedal fluctuation once it wears the disc unevenly - if you were getting that, I'd definitely have things trued up (or mic the disc all around to see if it is uneven). I've heard you can also get this from uneven deposits behind the wheel or brake disc, as it only takes a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #15
Solid67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive MP Edition

Any 2 piece rotors available? Usually, are better than OEM and much lighter, also the added benefit of reduced sprung weight.

I remember I had these for my STI.

https://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Fr...5I_p_6659.html
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #16
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Brake rotor replacement opinions

OEM's are two piece on the m235, I bought the Duragos on rockauto for around $200
Appreciate 0