THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning xhp gearbox tune?

03-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #45
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Over all do you like it? Or think that it is worth it?
What he said ^

Personally I really don't think its too necessary unless you plan on actually doing some form of racing with your car. Other than that i dont think its too worth it unless you can just buy one of the OTS maps.
But then again, the changes made to the tq limiters in 3rd and 6th are nice
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan

Last edited by Shayan55; 03-18-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #46
Cb17
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat View Post
So, just flashed Stg 2 XHP and so far, very impressed. In comfort, it's more comfortable if that makes any sense. In sport and sport+, yep beast mode, not sure how anyone can say the shifts are the same. One thing I like is in sport mode, you can actually get into 8th gear and stay in 8th, nice. Very quick shifts, very impressed. The factory shifts are very good, this is better, not night and day but the characteristic of the transmission is totally different and the shifts are quicker.
Was your car stock when you did the trans tune? Wondering if it’s worth doing to stock car
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #47
Cb17
United_States
Rep

Do i need to hook my car up to a charger? How long does this whole process take?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #48
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb17 View Post
Do i need to hook my car up to a charger? How long does this whole process take?
for me it took a good amount of time, i would suggest hooking it up to a charger for the first time
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #49
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
for me it took a good amount of time, i would suggest hooking it up to a charger for the first time
I believe they actually strongly recommend using a charger because it can take 45 minutes.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #50
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
I believe they actually strongly recommend using a charger because it can take 45 minutes.
Then there ya go haha. Use a charger
399.8whp on 91oct
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:37 PM   #51
sea_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C - 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat View Post
So, just flashed Stg 2 XHP and so far, very impressed. In comfort, it's more comfortable if that makes any sense. In sport and sport+, yep beast mode, not sure how anyone can say the shifts are the same. One thing I like is in sport mode, you can actually get into 8th gear and stay in 8th, nice. Very quick shifts, very impressed. The factory shifts are very good, this is better, not night and day but the characteristic of the transmission is totally different and the shifts are quicker.
Was your car stock when you did the trans tune? Wondering if it’s worth doing to stock car
Don't forget that it also allows the TCU correctly compensate for a tuned engine, so it removes micro slips that will wear down the trans over time from an engine that is putting out way more power than the stock TCU is programmed for. Xhp claims that this will improve the life of the trans running with a tuned engine, by removing those microslips from an ECU TCU mismatch. To me, that alone is reason enough.

I did it and think XHP is amazing. Even just for spirited street driving.

Sold: 2015 M235i RWD, MHD Stage 2, FBO, MPE, XHP, HPD5Evo | IG @sea_m235i
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #52
Cb17
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_m235i View Post
Don't forget that it also allows the TCU correctly compensate for a tuned engine, so it removes micro slips that will wear down the trans over time from an engine that is putting out way more power than the stock TCU is programmed for. Xhp claims that this will improve the life of the trans running with a tuned engine, by removing those microslips from an ECU TCU mismatch. To me, that alone is reason enough.

Thanks for the info guys. I am completely stock. Is there any worth to do this without mods? I will eventually tune the car prob bm3 stage 1 and go on from there but wanted to know if this tune will help smooth out the shifts and make them quicker while car is stock
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #53
sea_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C - 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_m235i View Post

Thanks for the info guys. I am completely stock. Is there any worth to do this without mods? I will eventually tune the car prob bm3 stage 1 and go on from there but wanted to know if this tune will help smooth out the shifts and make them quicker while car is stock
Yes, it cuts shift times down by 50% with DTC off and the trans in Sport. It is lightning fast and does not require the engine to be tuned.

Sold: 2015 M235i RWD, MHD Stage 2, FBO, MPE, XHP, HPD5Evo | IG @sea_m235i
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #54
bowjol
Rep
Drives: M235i

Anyone having this error after flashing XHP?
Error code :
Gear Selector Switch (GWS)
802680 Function display incorrect

I flashed TCU with stage 3 ver.2

It make ASS malfunction.
No matter ON/OFF ASS button position, the car will stop and it won't start again automatically.
I need to push START button to start the car again.
I revert back to stock again and ASS normal again, but GWS error still there.
I told by BMW service advisor that gear selector module had to replace.
It cost me $$$$$.
Car is 2014 M235i
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:34 AM   #55
jondagger
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Any updates on the product? Pro/Cons? Particularly... do the pros outweigh the cons as far as the occasional malfunction?

Contemplating a straight into Stage 3 purchase for my e30 Stg2 w meth.

I truly enjoy daily driving in (S) and (S+), all the time!!! Will Stage 3 XHP remove the want to always be in Sport and Sport + ?????? The race like RPMs too much ?

Stg2 > Stg3 in my case????

Last edited by jondagger; 05-07-2019 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:30 AM   #56
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Updates?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #57
jondagger
Banned
United_States
Rep

So I have resorted to bootmod3 for the transmission flash. THE FLASH IS FREE w BM3 license. increases torque limits, reduced shift times, increase hardness of shifts. It is noticeable ngl.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #58
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag001 View Post
So I have resorted to bootmod3 for the transmission flash. THE FLASH IS FREE w BM3 license. increases torque limits, reduced shift times, increase hardness of shifts. It is noticeable ngl.
Not necessary on the M235i though.
      07-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #59
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just read through all the xHP and bm3 trans flash threads. I'm trying to get a solid idea of what these do, specifically xHP stage 2 in manual mode only (i do not drive in D or S so do not care). I understand and believe BM3 TCU flash to be simply a 3rd/6th tq limiter removal tool for 335/435/535 etc that have this limit.

One thing ive noticed: everyone is clamoring about changes after the flash and thinking bm3 added some mystery features or tweaks they didn't mention anywhere, yet maybe 2 people mentioned or wondered about the adaptive logic. I don't absolutely know, but as an educated guess, I would place all my money on the learned adaptations being flashed over/reset and returning to whatever basemap the trans would otherwise start with off the factory floor. This would explain the different shift points, and line pressure and speed of shifts after flash. It would not make any sense that these adaptations were not reset, especially when changing values that would affect said adaptations, or that adaptations had their own dedicated RAM that was not reset ever unless specifically commanded to by a scan tool. Edit: other reason to believe BM3 is only a torque limit removal tool is because anything else would step on xHP's work. Not saying in a competitive market that doesn't happen, but this is a very small market of people wanting this and tuning companies seem to look out for each other in cases like this, it would be a moralless decision on bm3's part to include anything other than the torque limit remover (which could be seen as a necessary requirement for tuned 8at cars)

To those with xHP stage 2 who drive in manual/sport+, like sea_m235i, can you give a more detailed review of part throttle shifts, driving around town, low speed type stuff? The oem/stock tcu flash shifts pretty quick under full load and I'm happy that xHP will eliminate microslip in that scenario for higher power outputs, but the sloppy nature of low load, low rpm shifting is what i'm after to fix. It rolls into each next gear in an attempt to smooth the experience out with slower-than-optimal engagement (again, talking manual mode only). I notice this on rev-matched downshifts too, there is some extra time it hangs or before fully engaging clutchpack once engine rpm is matched. These are obviously first world problems, and the 8hp45 in the m235i is absolutely amazing, but i'd like it to err more on the side of harder, less sloppy shifts at the expense of smoothness

I saw it mentioned elsewhere, and if anyone knows the difference between the mechatronics units in the 335/435 vs m1/235, if there is one, im genuinely interested

Last edited by Liandri; 07-03-2019 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0