THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Different tire brands front to rear

05-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
GregoryG
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT - EB II

Different tire brands front to rear

I have a square setup with MPSS 245/35R18 and just blew 2 tires. The remaining 2 have around 5.5/32 of tread left. I figured the 'best' replacement would be new MPS4S because the 2 model tires are so similar. I've been wanting to move to a stickier tire for spirited street and occasional HPDE (it's my daily driver also), so can I safely move to a pair of new Federal 595 RS-RR now, and replace the remaining MPSS with another pair of Federals when it's time?

I figure the new Federals would go in the rear for now. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

there is the slim chance you could set up some harmonic weirdness from the different tread pattens at some particular speed.
and at speed the different tires could be a handling issue, but at legal road speeds it's doable.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
there is the slim chance you could set up some harmonic weirdness from the different tread pattens at some particular speed.
and at speed the different tires could be a handling issue, but at legal road speeds it's doable.
The adhesion should be close enough not to be an issue. I ran mixed tires front and back at a HPDE without any issues. Actually RE050 rfts on front and MPSS on back.

You could buy used tires so the tread depth is similar. EBAY has used MPSS some times. They normally have been patched but work fine.
Appreciate 0