THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning My 2018 M240i (8600 miles) needs.....

04-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

My 2018 M240i (8600 miles) needs.....

...a new clutch!!! The clutch pedal has had vibrations related to car speed for the last several thousands of miles. The vibration is there only when the clutch pedal is in the last 1/3 to 1/4 of its travel. I thought is was because of the clutch design. It's not, the clutch needs to be replaced. Here's the kicker: I may have to pay for the clutch!!! I told the service adviser that I don't drag race, and I don't keep the clutch pedal depressed at a stoplight.

Anyone else having clutch issues with their car with the B58 engine and a manual transmission?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
...a new clutch!!! The clutch pedal has had vibrations related to car speed for the last several thousands of miles. The vibration is there only when the clutch pedal is in the last 1/3 to 1/4 of its travel. I thought is was because of the clutch design. It's not, the clutch needs to be replaced. Here's the kicker: I may have to pay for the clutch!!! I told the service adviser that I don't drag race, and I don't keep the clutch pedal depressed at a stoplight.

Anyone else having clutch issues with their car with the B58 engine and a manual transmission?
"I don't drag race my car" but you didn't tell him that you track your car.....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Newbie View Post
"I don't drag race my car" but you didn't tell him that you track your car.....
I don't plan on telling them about my track events. Now, if they ask I'll tell them the truth, but I will tell them that these events are driving schools and not races.

I'll keep the thread updated as new info comes in.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

Quote:
I don't plan on telling them about my track events. Now, if they ask I'll tell them the truth, but I will tell them that these events are driving schools and not races.

I'll keep the thread updated as new info comes in.
I'm a firm believer you gotta pay to play. I also don't try to commit warranty fraud. Either way you beat on your car. If it's a failure from nothing you did that's great, if it's from the torture you put on the car from tracking it sack up. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
I don't track my car or race it, but I drive it hard from time to time when the traffic is non existent and the roads are mine and mine alone. I have a 230 6MT and I have not had any issues at all with mine. I'm pushing 18,000 miles now.

I still can't believe that you would be responsible for the clutch. With the additional warranty I got even wear and tear items from clutch, brakes, and wiper blades are covered for replacement for the first 4 years so long as I keep up with scheduled maintenance through certified Bmw service locations
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

The vibration started before I tracked the car. Besides, HPDE are not that hard on the driveline (yes, you’re going fast), but it is hard on the suspension.

Basically it feels like one of the pressure plate “fingers” isn’t pivoting (releasing) completely. It’s as if it’s still pressing against the friction disc.

See the clutch design in the link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=21_0227
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #7
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
I'm a firm believer you gotta pay to play. I also don't try to commit warranty fraud. Either way you beat on your car. If it's a failure from nothing you did that's great, if it's from the torture you put on the car from tracking it sack up. lol
a) car has 8k miles on it
b) "warranty fraud"? How is it fraud?
c) "beat on your car" > no rental car has any warranty
d) torture ..... HPDE and torture for the clutch? Tires, brakes,..... maybe but clutch
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #8
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Since you do not drag race, I'd think the clutch should be covered by the warranty.

Reason would indicate that going fast around a track would wear tires and strain suspension parts, not the clutch so much.

1/4 miles runs where you are pressuring the drive train with hard acceleration from a dead stop would stress the clutch and pretty much everything associated from the transmission back to the rear wheels.

w/ only 8K miles on the car, I'm suspecting the clutch wasn't up to par from the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Since you do not drag race, I'd think the clutch should be covered by the warranty.

Reason would indicate that going fast around a track would wear tires and strain suspension parts, not the clutch so much.

1/4 miles runs where you are pressuring the drive train with hard acceleration from a dead stop would stress the clutch and pretty much everything associated from the transmission back to the rear wheels.

w/ only 8K miles on the car, I'm suspecting the clutch wasn't up to par from the beginning.
These are exact feelings.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

talked with the....

.....tech at the dealer. He's ordered a new flywheel and a complete clutch. Everything is on the Lufthansa cargo plane headed for JFK. All will be in tomorrow morning. He's promised the car for tomorrow afternoon.

Hopefully, when he pulls the clutch he will see what's wrong. I talked wot him about the vibration/judder and I explained to him that I think the pressure plate is bad. We'll see. Wish me luck!! Ill keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
.....tech at the dealer. He's ordered a new flywheel and a complete clutch. Everything is on the Lufthansa cargo plane headed for JFK. All will be in tomorrow morning. He's promised the car for tomorrow afternoon.

Hopefully, when he pulls the clutch he will see what's wrong. I talked wot him about the vibration/judder and I explained to him that I think the pressure plate is bad. We'll see. Wish me luck!! Ill keep you updated.
Good deal. Lets hope no blame thrown your way or talk about the repair being on your "dime".

Keep us in the "loop".
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

definitely not a transmission mount issue ?

do you know if they had the car on the lift and duplicated the vibration driving the car through the gears?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #13
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

No, it’s not a transmission mount issue. When I depress the clutch in one quick move there’s no vibration/judder. None! Zip!

My loaner, a 430i very was sold out from under me!!!! Yup! The SA called to tell me I had to return it. So, the dealer replaced it with an M240i vert. Automatic naturally. Whole lot better than the 430i. On the way home some dude in an Acura (they can't even spell properly, what makes you think they can make a good car???) decided to tailgate me in traffic on 395N (this is metro DC). He tried to go around me so I punched the go pedal and that turbo went whooooosh! He ended up behind a Toyota in the 2 lane. How fitting.

Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 04-22-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #14
giangi_m240i
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
Quote:
a) car has 8k miles on it
b) "warranty fraud"? How is it fraud?
c) "beat on your car" > no rental car has any warranty
d) torture ..... HPDE and torture for the clutch? Tires, brakes,..... maybe but clutch
These cara go though a lot more in testing before there sold to the public. 8k on a clutch is not a normal life span. Id say go and be honest
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #15
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

And does BMW even have exclusions on their warranty for track? Even so most track exclusions (insurance i.e.) are if you doing a timed race and not a leisurely track day
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #16
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Great news!

The BMW warranty will take care of the cost. The tech took the clutch apart and he said it looks fine but there's a burned spot on the pressure plate. So, it sounds like my theory-an issue with the pressure plate-was correct. Though the parts arrived today the car won't be ready until tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:21 PM   #17
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
The BMW warranty will take care of the cost. The tech took the clutch apart and he said it looks fine but there's a burned spot on the pressure plate. So, it sounds like my theory-an issue with the pressure plate-was correct. Though the parts arrived today the car won't be ready until tomorrow.
Glad to hear you're not paying for a new clutch.
Appreciate 0