THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 230i Tune issue

04-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #45
Sisyrx
Budget Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Okay guys, enough of how good the updated V2 tune performs. I have been complaining just as long and have spent almost as much with Dinan to deserve some love. So, smooth, with the same or more power? No more hesitation and then surge? Can't wait.
Power feels about the same...just smoothed out at the low end. Hesitation is gone and Sport mode is usable again around town!

2017 230i // Estoril Blue II // M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #46
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

Sending my V2 to Dinan today for the updated version. Surprised how easy to detach...no shop time needed. I will let you know what I think once installed. As you stated earlier Sisyrx, in bypass mode you forget how smooth stock is, and how the tune should be, but you sure miss the power.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #47
Sisyrx
Budget Enthusiast
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sending my V2 to Dinan today for the updated version. Surprised how easy to detach...no shop time needed. I will let you know what I think once installed. As you stated earlier Sisyrx, in bypass mode you forget how smooth stock is, and how the tune should be, but you sure miss the power.
I was also surprise at how easy it was to uninstall and bypass. Unfortunately, the car threw a CEL but that cleared after a restart.

I'm excited for you to get the new map. It really is like a whole new tune.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #48
Tyresian
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230xi

So if you buy a Dinan Elite Stage 1 V2 there are now different versions of the V2 and you have to send it in to get the update?
      04-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #49
Sisyrx
Budget Enthusiast
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyresian View Post
So if you buy a Dinan Elite Stage 1 V2 there are now different versions of the V2 and you have to send it in to get the update?
I'd hope that any new sales would include the new ECU, however, there's probably legacy stock floating around that might need to be replaced.

Would be a good question for Dinan_Engineering

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #50
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My understanding is all ECUs sold directly from Dinan include the new mapping. Anything I have purchased from an authorized dealer has been ordered from Dinan and not taken out of their inventory. Just make sure when you purchase, the seller is ordering new stock which has the new mapping.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:14 PM   #51
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Talking V2 - remapped

Okay, it took 5 minutes to reinstall. I started the car and drove through the neighborhood. It was so smooth it felt like I was still in stock mode until I turned the corner and jumped on it entering the parkway. WOW! Like Sisyrx said, the tune boosts power but really takes over when the stock B46 begins to struggle. Selected Sport+ mode and had to utter that famous phrase, HOLY CRAP BATMAN. Dinan got this one right.

Last edited by Winemaker2; 04-19-2019 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sisyrx242.50
      04-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #52
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Okay, it took 5 minutes to reinstall. I started the car and drove through the neighborhood. It was so smooth it felt like I was still in stock mode until I turned the corner and jumped on it entering the parkway. WOW! Like Sisyrx said, the tune boosts power but really takes over when the stock B58 begins to struggle. Selected Sport+ mode and had to utter that famous phrase, HOLY CRAP BATMAN. Dinan got this one right.
So stoked to hear all the happy reports. Soooo many people were saying I was crazy or being too picky. I've been driving mine in all conditions and modes and haven't had any issues what so ever so I would expect all of everyone else's cel issues should also be resolved
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #53
Sisyrx
Budget Enthusiast
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
Quote:
Okay, it took 5 minutes to reinstall. I started the car and drove through the neighborhood. It was so smooth it felt like I was still in stock mode until I turned the corner and jumped on it entering the parkway. WOW! Like Sisyrx said, the tune boosts power but really takes over when the stock B58 begins to struggle. Selected Sport+ mode and had to utter that famous phrase, HOLY CRAP BATMAN. Dinan got this one right.
So stoked to hear all the happy reports. Soooo many people were saying I was crazy or being too picky. I've been driving mine in all conditions and modes and haven't had any issues what so ever so I would expect all of everyone else's cel issues should also be resolved
Thank you SO much for giving them your feedback while testing the unit, I'm really happy with the new ECU and can't wait to track with it.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #54
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Clear_Blue your testing and work you had done at Dinan brought these solutions to the masses much quicker. Without a car in-house, Dinan could only field our complaints until it was actually demonstrated and proved to them. We applaud your persistence.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #55
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Next on the list... got permissions to bring this to light today as they wait for full production to arrive. No confirmed date yet but it can't be toooo much longer
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #56
Sisyrx
Budget Enthusiast
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Next on the list... got permissions to bring this to light today as they wait for full production to arrive. No confirmed date yet but it can't be toooo much longer
It looks beautiful but I'm kinda bummed it's CF due to the increased price and lack of stealth. I know it won't have CARB approval for a while and I'd prefer a stealth look to deal with SMOG once I have to start getting checked.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #57
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyrx View Post
Quote:
It looks beautiful but I'm kinda bummed it's CF due to the increased price and lack of stealth. I know it won't have CARB approval for a while and I'd prefer a stealth look to deal with SMOG once I have to start getting checked.
I would bet you can still use the stock lid? Idk, but I can check when I get back from out of town next weekend if it looks like it will match up. During testing they tried a 3series carbon lid and it was too tight so they swapped it out with the proto 2series lid once they had one. I really wish I could find the pics from when I had the high temp 3d printed plastic intake pipe. It looked identical, but it was all white and had a roughness to it like it needed to be wet sanded and then painted.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:35 PM   #58
Sisyrx
Budget Enthusiast
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I would bet you can still use the stock lid? Idk, but I can check when I get back from out of town next weekend if it looks like it will match up. During testing they tried a 3series carbon lid and it was too tight so they swapped it out with the proto 2series lid once they had one. I really wish I could find the pics from when I had the high temp 3d printed plastic intake pipe. It looked identical, but it was all white and had a roughness to it like it needed to be wet sanded and then painted.
It's not just the lid though...pipe looks to be CF as well?

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #59
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The pipe is covered by the trim though so unless they are removing all the engine covers you wouldn't see the pipe
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 12:26 AM   #60
Sisyrx
Budget Enthusiast
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The pipe is covered by the trim though so unless they are removing all the engine covers you wouldn't see the pipe
Ah, didn't consider that...not a bad option to swap to OEM cover.

Do you think there are any legitimate gains from the intake?

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #61
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Hmmm that's hard to say honestly since I got the test CAI at the same time I got the V2 stage 1 tune put in for testing. I can say that it felt like it was smoother throughout as though you could feel it breathing a little better. And it definitely improves the sound. You can certainly hear it breathing a little better. Even before I switched to the free flow exhaust I could hear the engine well enough to turn off the fake cabin engine noise. As bad as it sounded I couldn't drive with it off stock, because I struggled to hear the motor for when to shift on a 6MT. I felt disconnected from the car. With the tune, the CAI, and exhaust the car is everything I ever could have hoped for. It drives so smooth and I feel very in tune with it in all modes. The lowering springs also helped a lot with feeling more connected with the steering, while not sacrificing ride comfort
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #62
Tyresian
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well guys, I just got the Elite V2 for my 2018 230xi and installed it today. Once the car warmed up the first 50% acceleration I did the car felt like it massively lost power, after that it felt fine. When I stopped and restarted the car I then had a CEL. Did some additional driving and restarts and it eventually went off but after I ran to get gas it came back on.

Going to through the bypass plug on and do some more driving but I'm concerned. Thought the V2 was having less issues but now this is happening. Debating to just return it as I don't want to get stuck on warranty hell with Dinan when I don't even know if I'd be happy if the device was working properly.

Also I do have a Scan Tool and one of the errors is listed as permanent and only can be reset through clean drive cycles.

Error Codes: P0237 Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor "A" Circuit Low
P0234 Turbo/Super Charger Overboost Condition
Name:  Screenshot_20190629-143951.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  95.6 KB

Last edited by Tyresian; 06-29-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #63
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Wow I'm really shocked. This is literally the first post I've seen of any issues what so ever with the the v2. I would highly recommend at least a call to DINAN. Their customer service has been superb in my experience. They can perhaps help you trouble shoot. I have been running the V2 for roughly 8 months now and have been far from gentle with it. I have not had even the slightest hint of CEL. I am also running the CAI and the 240i free flow exhaust on my 2018 230i.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:52 PM   #64
Sisyrx
Budget Enthusiast
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow I'm really shocked. This is literally the first post I've seen of any issues what so ever with the the v2. I would highly recommend at least a call to DINAN. Their customer service has been superb in my experience. They can perhaps help you trouble shoot. I have been running the V2 for roughly 8 months now and have been far from gentle with it. I have not had even the slightest hint of CEL. I am also running the CAI and the 240i free flow exhaust on my 2018 230i.
I second this. Going on 7months with no observable issues AND their customer service was great when I was processing my replacement ECU.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #65
Tyresian
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys, well I have good news!

After I let everything cool down over night I re-checked the cabling and the charge pipe sensor was not fully clicked in. I checked it so many times yesterday before driving so I'm going to keep an eye on things and make sure it stays clicked in. It is entirely possible when I was trying to secure the cables I loosened it and while moving cables and didn't get it fully secured the last time.

I did a few drives with the bypass adapter and once all codes were cleared I connected the module again and did a few more drives this morning. So far so good, no errors, power does seem a little better than stock and shifts are much smoother than with the JB+, though less of a boosted feel and I'm not hearing the diverter valve at all.

I'm going to chock this up to user error at this point, sorry for the raised concern. We'll see what other thoughts I have after some more driving. I'll still keep an eye to make sure things stay secured.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #66
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
That's great to hear! The lack of boosted feel I think has a lot to do with the smoothness of power delivery. Also, keep in mind DINAN is always trying to maintain a balance between performance and overall drivability. The original V2 felt incredibly more powerful, but that was because it just kicked you in the ass when the boost came in like an on off switch. Also, it had the hesitation issues, which ultimately led to the second version of the v2. Based on dyno results the final version of the v2 is actually more powerful than the original. The power delivery is just continuous smooth increase that is harder to sense by the seat of your pants. Hope you enjoy it! I know I sure do and can't wait for them to start working on a flash tune
Appreciate 0