THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Keep stock 245's rears or go 255's?

02-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
B58SP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i SOLD

Keep stock 245's rears or go 255's?

So I am looking to order some tires for the rear (might go 4s up from current MPSS's), and was wondering if going 255's would help or hurt 60ft and acceleration times. I know 255's fit because plenty of people done it, but wondering if its worth doing that or keep the 245's. Im looking for more grip than current 245's MPSS
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Off the line traction is generally more about tire compound than tire width. 255s won't make much difference at all. If you want the best 60 foot, you should invest in some drag radials or 26" slicks.

Do you have an LSD? If not, that is a MUST for these cars. You'll have so much more traction in all situations. By far one of the best performance mods that you can do the car.

The 4S offers more grip over the PSS. I've had both and the difference is noticeable, especially if the PSSs are worn/old.

If you want more handling grip, you need to run 245/35s up front. Monumental difference in front end grip.
      02-11-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
B58SP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Off the line traction is generally more about tire compound than tire width. 255s won't make much difference at all. If you want the best 60 foot, you should invest in some drag radials or 26" slicks.

Do you have an LSD? If not, that is a MUST for these cars. You'll have so much more traction in all situations. By far one of the best performance mods that you can do the car.

The 4S offers more grip over the PSS. I've had both and the difference is noticeable, especially if the PSSs are worn/old.

If you want more handling grip, you need to run 245/35s up front. Monumental difference in front end grip.
I am interested in grip since I have alot of power now and no LSD still... Would you consider the 4S a big improvement in launch grip or I am better off getting 2 rear wheels and getting Drag radials on those?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58SP View Post
I am interested in grip since I have alot of power now and no LSD still... Would you consider the 4S a big improvement in launch grip or I am better off getting 2 rear wheels and getting Drag radials on those?
I would not consider them a huge improvement in off the line grip. It will be better, but it's not like you're going to shed anymore than maybe .1 seconds in 60 foot, if that.

If drag racing is your thing and you do it often, I would definitely source a set 17" ET Street DRs. Why waste your time with street radials if you're wanting the best ET possible?

I'd also put the LSD at the top of your list. The difference in traction in all situations is astounding. You'd be surprised how much forward acceleration you're loosing with the open diff when those tires are spinning. Even with the tires spinning, the LSD is accelerating far better and more controllably. Believe me, I ran my car with the open diff for 2 full years before adding and I drive hard. I can't imagine driving this car with a ton of power and sticking with the open diff.
      02-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
B58SP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58SP View Post
I would not consider them a huge improvement in off the line grip. It will be better, but it's not like you're going to shed anymore than maybe .1 seconds in 60 foot, if that.

If drag racing is your thing and you do it often, I would definitely source a set 17" ET Street DRs. Why waste your time with street radials if you're wanting the best ET possible?

I'd also put the LSD at the top of your list. The difference in traction in all situations is astounding. You'd be surprised how much forward acceleration you're loosing with the open diff when those tires are spinning. Even with the tires spinning, the LSD is accelerating far better and more controllably. Believe me, I ran my car with the open diff for 2 full years before adding and I drive hard. I can't imagine driving this car with a ton of power and sticking with the open diff.
I want it but i can't justify the $2500 plus install at the moment. I will probably do R888's since they are agressive but still streetable without switching wheel size
Appreciate 0