THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes strut tower bear w/ m control arms

11-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
BMW fun
Rep
Drives: bmw 228i thp--2002 merc r129

strut tower bear w/ m control arms

For my 228 thp manual, I am considering the control arm / tension strut upgrade, but question the added torque that is being put on the strut tower bearing.
Unlike prior BMW's that have a rubber encased bearing the strut bearing on the new version seems to have only minimal space for rubber around the bearing or none at all.
When installing the ca/ts and adding negative camber the complete strut is being moved outboard at the base yet the top of the shock is locked into the strut tower bearing . If the bearing doesn't have the ability to twist within the housing, added torque is being created that could increase steering resistance and premature wear.

Does the bearing have enough "play" to not have a problem?

What is the feeling about this?

Last edited by BMW fun; 11-01-2019 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 03:20 AM   #2
TYC
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW fun View Post
For my 228 thp manual, I am considering the control arm / tension strut upgrade, but question the added torque that is being put on the strut tower bearing.
Unlike prior BMW's that have a rubber encased bearing the strut bearing on the new version seems to have only minimal space for rubber around the bearing or none at all.
When installing the ca/ts and adding negative camber the complete strut is being moved outboard at the base yet the top of the shock is locked into the strut tower bearing . If the bearing doesn't have the ability to twist within the housing, added torque is being created that could increase steering resistance and premature wear.

Does the bearing have enough "play" to not have a problem?

What is the feeling about this?

Hey bud.
The bearing in the top hat is not for load. It’s for as you said “twist”. It allows the struts to rotate with steering input.

If your going to install the m control arms upfront the only thing you need to do is center the wheels with alum. spacers.

You can’t can install those arms on your sub frame without spacers because you will have a gap.
There’s a super detailed thread in this forum that provides the specific measurements, part numbers for the aluminum spacers. I personally ordered my spacers from Summit racing.
If I can dig up the information I will. But I’m sure a quick Google search will bring up the original thread.

Other then spacers. It’s simple unbolt old, boot in new and add spacers.
Cscs time attack - street rwd
Who says a race car can’t also be a show car?!?!
Appreciate 1
overcoil3072.50
      12-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

The top coil of the spring sits on a coned rubber insert. As you are only adding 0.5 degree to the angle, it isn't enough to upset anything in they way you mention. The M cars have a similar set up and they of course are designed with the m arms in place.

No problems with mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
BMW fun
Rep
Drives: bmw 228i thp--2002 merc r129

thank you
Appreciate 0