THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes M4 LCAs or coilover+camber plates (M240i)

01-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
Pbdeed
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

M4 LCAs or coilover+camber plates (M240i)

Just wondering what would make more sense between these two upgrades for both daily street spirit driving (mainly) and track/autoX (not very often - 2/3 a year-).

I would like to get rid of understeer and premature outside tyre wearing. For what I´ve read in the forum, M4 LCAs (with TS) would be the way to go, as there is steering improvement and increment of negative camber. But this negative camber is not adjustable as it would with camber plates. But for the camber plates alternative it is recommendable with a coilover upgrade for NVH reasons. The coilover will provide a stiffer and more sportive ride.

I guess budget is a key factor here, but I don´t know if coilover+camber plates higher cost is worth against the LCAs for my usage.

P.D: those who have fitted the LCAs, have you done it in your BMW dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
accs
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

I did the TS and LCA DIY. Great experience with feel and handling. I had a worn TS so it was a good maintenance and performance upgrade in 1. I think coilovers with the camber plates would be ideal but the m4 LCA and TS mod is highly recommended as a budget route.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
Pbdeed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyonC View Post
I did the TS and LCA DIY. Great experience with feel and handling. I had a worn TS so it was a good maintenance and performance upgrade in 1. I think coilovers with the camber plates would be ideal but the m4 LCA and TS mod is highly recommended as a budget route.
Do you remember what exactly component did you install other than the TS and LCAs (eg. spacers)?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:46 AM   #4
Pbdeed
Private
Rep

What about using Powerflex camber adjustable bushes for gaining 0.5 degrees of camber?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyonC View Post
Could you please tell me what “TS” stands for? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Tension Strut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Could you please tell me what “TS” stands for? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Pro's and con's for both methods of gaining neg camber.

The M4 lower arms push the wheel outwards, increasing track by something like 25-30mm. Camber plates don't change the track.
The rear M4 arm is fitted with a ball joint as opposed to a rubber bush on the standard arms, which goes a long way in increasing feedback. There is definitely less slop in the steering feeling.
The front F8x arm still has a rubber bush, but it is quite a bit firmer than F2/3x arms. This is felt when braking hard. The toe stays more in line on F8x arms.

Because the wheel is pushed out on the F8x arms, you can't use as wide a front tyre without fender mods.
Lastly, the camber is built in on the F8x arms, no adjustment. Camber plates you can change them between street and track, or even dry track / wet track, etc, which is a bonus.

Downside of most camber plates is they use a spherical bearing loaded in the wrong direction. Engineering fail.
Appreciate 2